Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's perhaps worth us keeping our own note of the "open" chargers so we can let people know if they've pick a wrong one ... and it's in our own interests to move them on.
Just look in the app under Charge Your Non Tesla, only shows the Open chargers. Better still suggest that the hapless eTron driver looks in the Tesla app and confirms for themself that the current charger isn't listed.

Reactions: Adopado
Does he have the onboard 150 kW DC-DC converter option allowing a faster rate of charge on SuC? Standard Taycan’s are otherwise hobbled at 50 kW on a 400V charger.
Yes he has Performance Battery Plus which I understand provides this capability. The car is in Frozen Berry which to most people is Metallic Pink, a £104K car in Pink. I tell him people will think he's a Hairdresser a very successful Hairdresser !

Yes he has Performance Battery Plus which I understand provides this capability. The car is in Frozen Berry which to most people is Metallic Pink, a £104K car in Pink. I tell him people will think he's a Hairdresser a very successful Hairdresser !
I think people kind of buy those odd colours when it comes to electric cars - excluding Tesla. I’ve seen few i4s and never managed to understand why they buy those colours and they don’t buy those colours if they are buying a 5 or 6 series. May be wants to stand out in those myriad of BMWs and Porsches. Tesla stands out without having to go for those weird colours.

I think people kind of buy those odd colours when it comes to electric cars - excluding Tesla. I’ve seen few i4s and never managed to understand why they buy those colours and they don’t buy those colours if they are buying a 5 or 6 series. May be wants to stand out in those myriad of BMWs and Porsches. Tesla stands out without having to go for those weird colours.
It's not as if we have any choice. Criticising people for their choice of colour is like me criticising your dress sense.

Reactions: candida
If individuality was your priority you wouldn’t buy a Tesla because there’s so little customisation. Clone cars. At least some SuC sites will now look considerably more interesting.
As demonstrated at Warwick services earlier this week. By the time I took the photo one of the white Model 3 had left, but originally the single MSM stood out as the black sheep of the family!

Attachments

• 050EBF3D-0633-4142-BCB2-8D586F194A46.jpeg
    050EBF3D-0633-4142-BCB2-8D586F194A46.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 82
If Holland is anything to go by then it will be no time before the UK opens up the full network, yes I understand that Tesla are monitoring the sites, but let's be honest, Tesla's motto and intent was always to promote the full electric dream to all drivers. Yes? That electric provision which they harness, far far better than any other electric vehicle maker is another opportunity in Elons pocket. However, I do think though they should have thought about the issue of other electric vehicles taking up two spaces due to the length on the cables, location of charge port etc. Only a matter of time before a Tesla driver goes beyond biting their lip maybe?

Having had the joy of charging on such a great and very consistent charging network for a long time, makes me think, given the technology investment of other major car makers, it will only be a matter of time before Tesla no longer have the number 1 spot in electric vehicle provision.

Bit gutted that this is happening to be honest, kind of takes one of the major selling points of Tesla out of the equation...

>>Bit gutted that this is happening to be honest, kind of takes one of the major selling points of Tesla out of the equation...<<

I've said it before, but The thing to do would be to have it as an "emergency" provision for others, at a very high cost - say £1 per Kwh. That would deter casual use but still make owning any EV more "comfortable" so would still make Musk's mission valid.

If Holland is anything to go by then it will be no time before the UK opens up the full network, yes I understand that Tesla are monitoring the sites, but let's be honest, Tesla's motto and intent was always to promote the full electric dream to all drivers. Yes? That electric provision which they harness, far far better than any other electric vehicle maker is another opportunity in Elons pocket. However, I do think though they should have thought about the issue of other electric vehicles taking up two spaces due to the length on the cables, location of charge port etc. Only a matter of time before a Tesla driver goes beyond biting their lip maybe?

Having had the joy of charging on such a great and very consistent charging network for a long time, makes me think, given the technology investment of other major car makers, it will only be a matter of time before Tesla no longer have the number 1 spot in electric vehicle provision.

Bit gutted that this is happening to be honest, kind of takes one of the major selling points of Tesla out of the equation...
Glass half empty much? How about Norway and France where it's remained as only being opened at certain under occupied sites. From what I can tell The Netherlands has so many options for EV charging that none of the Tesla sites were busy, and people with other makes rarely use SuC due to the cost.

Also what do you think would happen if Tesla remain totally closed, UK Gov already had a white paper saying they will only provide planning amd grid assistance to open networks. SuperChargers would keep having roughly the same sites and numbers as today but would be swamped with new Tesla's and eventually become an irrelevant legacy only occupied by ancient Model S that have free SuperCharging but now take several hours.

For at least the foreseeable future the #1 spot in electric vehicle provision is going to entirely be defined by who can find sufficient components to build cars. The value of having access to SuperChargers is already devalued as other, open, charging hubs are finally getting there. There are several routes already (eg M6, M74) where you are better avoiding the SuperChargers as the other options are better. Absolutely nothing Tesla can do about that, only option is to compete on availability, price and features.

Last edited:
Hehe 😎 it’s apparently a surprising popular colour choice.

The 400 VDC-800VDC converter is one of those options (not included as standard with Performance Battery Plus - that’s a larger cell count/capacity battery) that should in my view be a standard option on a £100K plus car. But Porsche want £290 odd for the privilege, even if you’ve shelled out £4K for the bigger battery or a Turbo / Plus model with PBP as standard.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Just pulled into Abington which was showing as “short wait”. It is not one of the opened sites. Nearby to the 6 SC’s are 2 x Rapids by Gridserve (both in use)

5 Tesla’s and an MG in the SC bays. I was very polite and asked if they had the Tesla app. They said they were just trying to download it. I informed them that when they did they would find this was not one of the 15 sites. They said they thought they would try it as the Gridserve was full. Pleasantries exchanged and they moved off.

Everyone else gone and now here on my own. Price now 49p per kW, but Scotch Corner is 50p!!

Just pulled into Abington which was showing as “short wait”. It is not one of the opened sites. Nearby to the 6 SC’s are 2 x Rapids by Gridserve (both in use)

5 Tesla’s and an MG in the SC bays. I was very polite and asked if they had the Tesla app. They said they were just trying to download it. I informed them that when they did they would find this was not one of the 15 sites. They said they thought they would try it as the Gridserve was full. Pleasantries exchanged and they moved off.

Everyone else gone and now here on my own. Price now 49p per kW, but Scotch Corner is 50p!!
There's a 50kw rapid in Abington a mile away at zero cost

Charged at Dundee yesterday for a brief 10mins. Only 1 other car there - a Model S. Long may it continue.

Side note - I noticed yesterday that Ionity superchargers are available to navigate to when in the car. I haven’t bothered going to one and seeing if the car will pre-condition on route.

Really not that hard for these punters to work out what SuC are public - it’s in the Tesla App under “charge your non-Tesla”. You must use the app to access the network…

But then again nowt so queer as folk 😂
In their defence the other brand chargers have pay methods on the units whereas Tesla doesn’t. I suppose it’s an easy mistake to think you can rock up and just tap a CC. I’m going to make a note of the ones I use on my 500 mile journey to check if they’re open to non brands.

Off topic. Newquay/Cornwall needs some SUC love! Luckily, a Hotel in Newquay had three Tesla WC. 2x 7.5kW and 11.5kW. For non guests £10.