Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spent a week near Penzance in Cornwall last week and drove from Bath. Stopped off at Darts Farm on both directions as was worried Lifton would be way too busy. Also Darts Farm had more things on and seemed a nicer stop despite it being a bit off the beaten track. Camborne is further down the road if I needed it but fortunately the Airbnb (converted barn) we stayed at had a Zappi charger recently installed. I was the first person to use it as the owner doesn't own an EV and worked a charm.
Where did you stay may I ask? PM me if required.
The Mrs fancies a trip to Cornwall at the end of the month.

The current "exeter" supercharger is at Darts Farm - TBH nicer than a service station. Basically it's a premium price farm shop. It's not far off the motorway, but is more faf to get to than the services. They have 8 SCv2, 4 SCv4, so reasonable amounts of capacity.
According to the map, there is also going to be an Exeter Motorway Service Station SC opening in Q3 - right now it's 17 Gridserve units at Exeter services, but those can get full at times, particularly Bank Hols.
In generally I'd probably take the petrol car for a UK bank holiday if i knew i was beyond range... Likely that'll only get worse until we see further investment in public rapids

I
Yes I agree it is a faf going to that place and unfortunately we went there on Easter Sunday without knowing the shops are closed, so had to stop twice and didn’t get the benefit of doing some shopping. But I missed the gridserve 17 chargers at Exeter.

I agree with suggestion of taking petrol car for longer trips but we do not have one currently as we are fully electric.

The current "exeter" supercharger is at Darts Farm - TBH nicer than a service station. Basically it's a premium price farm shop. It's not far off the motorway, but is more faf to get to than the services. They have 8 SCv2, 4 SCv4, so reasonable amounts of capacity.
According to the map, there is also going to be an Exeter Motorway Service Station SC opening in Q3 - right now it's 17 Gridserve units at Exeter services, but those can get full at times, particularly Bank Hols.
In generally I'd probably take the petrol car for a UK bank holiday if i knew i was beyond range... Likely that'll only get worse until we see further investment in public rapids
I agree with suggestion of taking petrol car for longer trips but we do not have one currently as we are fully electric.
I strongly disagree. I switched from a 550 mile range Tiguan to an MY. I doubt I get much more than 240 miles range due to my driving style in the Tesla. I regularly drive from Helensburgh to Midhurst and West coast trips to Cornwall which includes heading out daily to places to hike with no chargers. There are plenty of non brand chargers to use in car parks or petrol stations. Sure, it may take a little while if it’s a 7.5 - 40kw but I wouldn’t want to fall back to a polluting ICE car for a small time inconvenience.

IMO: There are few excuses left for range anxiety on this tiny island.

It's almost as though most EV owners these days have never experienced ture range/charger anxiety. I did a 300 mile round trip once in our old Leaf that would should 68 miles of range at 100% SOC......add in the 'excitement' of wondering if the next Ecotricity charger would work or be blocked by a PHEV or not work.....those were the wild west days of EV ownership.

Been 'worried' about range/charging in any Tesla is taking it a step too far even beyond what the snowflake generation would find anxiety generating.....

25060789026_8bbb67bcba_c_d.jpg

It's almost as though most EV owners these days have never experienced ture range/charger anxiety. I did a 300 mile round trip once in our old Leaf that would should 68 miles of range at 100% SOC......add in the 'excitement' of wondering if the next Ecotricity charger would work or be blocked by a PHEV or not work.....those were the wild west days of EV ownership.

Been 'worried' about range/charging in any Tesla is taking it a step too far even beyond what the snowflake generation would find anxiety generating.....

For me.. always blocked by an Outlander PHEV (sorry if any of you drive one).

• Funny
Reactions: gangzoom

My mate started out with a Zoe and one day years ago he picked me up from the airport. It was like being on a challenge seeing if we made it to a charger as it’s range was only about 100 max! Several broken chargers and some with hybrids plugged in, angry rants at drivers charging a car with 20 mile range maximum or buggering off for an hour when it was charged and so on. 200 miles later we finally made it. He now has a Leaf with similar mileage. Doesn’t stop him driving hundreds of miles. He mainly charges off of a three pin plug.

He says I’m a wet blanket as I don’t have to think about range or charging challenges!

I strongly disagree. I switched from a 550 mile range Tiguan to an MY. I doubt I get much more than 240 miles range due to my driving style in the Tesla. I regularly drive from Helensburgh to Midhurst and West coast trips to Cornwall which includes heading out daily to places to hike with no chargers. There are plenty of non brand chargers to use in car parks or petrol stations. Sure, it may take a little while if it’s a 7.5 - 40kw but I wouldn’t want to fall back to a polluting ICE car for a small time inconvenience.

I'm talking specifically about devon/cornwall on a bank holiday weekend. The charging facilities are more limited, and the rapids get busy. I've taken my M3LR all the way up to John O'Groats and Normandy, but I think you're rolling the dice on a bad experience for that specific experience.
Not that's I'd recommend the A303 on a bank holiday weekend in a petrol all that much either...

This is what Tesla SuC’s need!
And in the UK I can see several of them getting dragged across the carpark by an a** in an ICE who wants that parking space!

• Funny
Reactions: Dilly
This is what Tesla SuC’s need!
not really practical, as the ziggy itself will have to charge itself before every charging session, so if you arrive after a cars just charged.... then you'll need to wait for the ziggy to charge first before it can charge you....! unless of course there are surplus ziggys waiting around, which would be expensive.

Also Level 2 only charging, so not fast charging... they say there are "plans" for level 3 charging, but doubt this would be anywhere near as fast as supercharger or similar so would likely be slow.

and then there's this:
And in the UK I can see several of them getting dragged across the carpark by an a** in an ICE who wants that parking space!

Or getting chucked in the back of a van for people to steel the batteries and parts.

honestly, what is the point in this again?

this all feels like stopgap solutions - eventually everything will move towards charge points at all/most parking spaces, with speeds tuned to the type of location (shopping centre/park and ride/workplace - level 2, short stay/MSA etc - rapids). And using load based smart allocation of capacity like the Kempower modular chargers so you don't need to queue, just plug in and worst case you'll have to wait for some of the previous cars to ramp down their demand

I agree, seems a bit dumb. Makes far more sense to build or retrofit multi storeys with chargepoints basically everywhere.. or set up like the Podpoints at Tescos which can service 4 spaces around it.
I mean probably most multistoreys would be able to be retrofitted with like 1 floor EV chargers only, even 7 kw or slower.
The same applies to lamp post - make each and every lamp post charge capable and huge infrastructure problem is solved.

Like in nordics, all car parks have electric sockets for the engine warmers. The could potentially be retrofitted.

Reactions: Neilio
this all feels like stopgap solutions - eventually everything will move towards charge points at all/most parking spaces, with speeds tuned to the type of location (shopping centre/park and ride/workplace - level 2, short stay/MSA etc - rapids). And using load based smart allocation of capacity like the Kempower modular chargers so you don't need to queue, just plug in and worst case you'll have to wait for some of the previous cars to ramp down their demand
I'm not sure I agree. There are lots of times and places that I park and have no need to charge as I can charge at home. I need public charging maybe about a dozen times a year. So extrapolate me to all the homes with drives (60%) and consider what we need for the other 40%. If all petrol stations were replaced with ultra chargers you could easily get more in than petrol pumps, would we really need more space? I'm not convinced.

The more interesting area is service stations, in theory all the cars parked there need charging. Needs a lot of fast chargers.

Can't wait for wireless charging pads so this issue of cable placement and bay usage is a thing of the past.

I'm not sure how it can be solved currently really. Relocating isn[t going to happen, longer cables, maybe, but that still relies on people to always always use the tombstone to the left something which has continued to confused even the mature Tesla owner when they hit darts farm.

I thought that Tesla could just designate the last 2 bays as open access at pilot sites. Doesn't really change the fact that they can both be blocked, but it limits the blockage as its only two bays (if more cars from other manufacturers turn up at the same time).

Then when the trial is a success, they build more bays, more of which are open access.

Tesla chargers were a big positive for buying a Tesla when only Tesla could use them - opening up to all isn't a bad thing but chargers in general just aren't in your face like a petrol station is, never in an Ice did I ever look up in advance where i could refuel, but in a BEV I'm looking and planning and I can understand why some don't feel a BEV is for them. There really is enough chargers its just that a lot of them are hidden away or you need to have joined the club - or an RF card. I know eventually all chargers will be useable with a contactless card.

In a few weeks Im off to the east coast with my two grandsons and really looking forward to using Gridserves flagship charging station at Norwich- No petrol/diesel at all - a dedicated EV station with a Costa on site and 350KW chargers - apparently 35 chargers on site and you can choose if you want the super fast charger or something a bit less and much of the electricity is generated by solar panels and wind turbines plus a 6Mw battery storage - real state of the art facility - now this is how charging stations should be - so a few more stations like this and no one will care what Tesla do with their chargers.