Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla opening a store in Newport Beach?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add in a $30k battery that lasts for 100k miles and you have just added another 30 cents/mile.

While this may be true, most people who buy new cars do not drive them past 100k miles. You get a battery included for the price of a new car, so when factoring in battery cost in an EV, you have to also factor in many big repairs like engine/trans/diff replacement in an ICE.

Since the calculations for operating an ICE do not include major repairs, it would be wise to not include a battery replacement in an EV to make a fair comparison. Having said that, EV's do cost more that a few cents a mile to operate if you factor in things like tires, initial cost etc.

One other thing, a battery is not $30k. You can get a replacement for a roadster @$12k

Lets do some simple math for the next 100k miles including battery replacement.

roadster-

$12k+([email protected]/kwh=$3335)= TOTAL $15335

ICE(while a comparable car will get much less mpg I'll use 20)-

5000gal*$3.5= TOTAL $17500

This is without ANY maintanace or repairs to the ICE vehicle which is very likely to require repairs between 100-200k miles. Not so for the EV.

From these very basic #s, an EV is a no brainer.

I have a vacation house in Chelan, WA. For the first MWh per month, the rate is 2.29 cents/KWh. So, at 330 Wh/mile (plug to car; measuring battery-to-wheel misses the charging inefficiencies) that's 0.76 cents/mile (that's three quarters of a cent, not of a dollar). Even better, it's 100% hydropower, so effectively no greenhouse gas emissions either.

Unfortunately, here in Orange County, SDG&E rates range from 13.8 cents/kwh to 31 cents/kwh, depending on time of use and/or metering plan. I used 15 cents/kwh, to arrive at my 5 cents/mile electrical costs for the Roadster.

That's not completely true. Yes you can deposit 12K and get a battery when you need one sometime in 5 to 10 years. If you had to buy one off the shelf tomorrow, it would be much more, and likely closer to 30K

You are right, BUT since the original battery is under warranty for the first three+ years(depending on MY roadster or extended warranty), the most you would have to pay is $20k if you got a new one after 3 years. That is highly unlikely.

OMG!! You'd think we could get a store in Atlanta. The city is large enough. I've seen Tesla roadsters here.

And I know Telsa's sales people have been here at-lease twice last year. I can even name them!!!!

Give us a dam store already Tesla!!! LOL!!! All I know is there had better be one here by the time my Model S arrives. >:| :)

Ok, I'm done venting :)