Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Opening Service Center in Tempe, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh. Seems a little odd because they already have one in Phoenix. I just saw on the other forum that a guy recommended to his nephew to cancel his order for a Model X because he lived in Tucson and service would be too difficult from Phoenix now that Ranger Service is the crazy $3 per mile. Having two service centers in Phonenix and none in Tucson seems strange.

Huh. Seems a little odd because they already have one in Phoenix. I just saw on the other forum that a guy recommended to his nephew to cancel his order for a Model X because he lived in Tucson and service would be too difficult from Phoenix now that Ranger Service is the crazy $3 per mile. Having two service centers in Phonenix and none in Tucson seems strange.

Tucson has a ranger here with rented shop space who provides us with outstanding service. The Phoenix metro area has a lot more Tesla's than Tucson and there can be a back log for service at Scottsdale. Not to mention that right now Arizona is providing service for most of New Mexico. I have been told that Tesla will be looking to open a gallery and service center in the future.

I was at the Scottsdale store in mid-October for a test drive. They told me a service center in Tucson was being planned for 2016. I hope that will happen. Having a service center in Tucson makes a lot of sense for the surrounding cities/towns.

Tucson has less population than Mesa... about 525,000 vs over 4.5 Million in the metro Phoenix area. I think you will see a service center in Tucson at some point, possibly 2016, but I understand why Phoenix Metro would need 2 before Tucson has one.

1. I see on the map that TM has snagged what seems to be an excellent location: very near exits/entrances for both Rtes. 101 and 202, convenient from Rte. 60, and close but seemingly not too close to the ASU campus.

2. No suggestion one way or the other if TM is occupying the entire 42,000 square feet of the building, but as it seems the prior tenant did just that then one can reasonably assume that amount would be available. And that's a good, handsome amount.

3. A little birdie told me that the TM considers the current Scottsdale site already to be maxed out, if not truly bursting at the seams, so that they definitely have been champing at the bit to get to a second - not a replacement - location.

4. From the Bizjournal article, the new owners of the building paid $3.6mm for it. I wonder what the going rental rate is in order to obtain a satisfactory ROI on that?

1. I see on the map that TM has snagged what seems to be an excellent location: very near exits/entrances for both Rtes. 101 and 202, convenient from Rte. 60, and close but seemingly not too close to the ASU campus.

2. No suggestion one way or the other if TM is occupying the entire 42,000 square feet of the building, but as it seems the prior tenant did just that then one can reasonably assume that amount would be available. And that's a good, handsome amount.

3. A little birdie told me that the TM considers the current Scottsdale site already to be maxed out, if not truly bursting at the seams, so that they definitely have been champing at the bit to get to a second - not a replacement - location.

4. From the Bizjournal article, the new owners of the building paid $3.6mm for it. I wonder what the going rental rate is in order to obtain a satisfactory ROI on that?

I agree with all of your points. I think the full suite is too large but they will probably take it all anyway. That site has to cost a fraction of what the Scottsdale site costs. $3.6M for 42,000 sq ft is a bargain for that site. ($86/sq ft) I would imagine that Tesla will put another $1-2M into it to make it look more modern on the outside/inside.

image.jpeg
Drove by the new Tempe service center site to see if there was any progress. The windows have been removed and it looks like a temporary interior wall has been added to secure the construction activity on the inside. The entire parking lot is fenced and there is new facia being added to the exterior of the building. No obvious signs of excavation for any SC pedestals in the parking lot yet.

I drove into their parking lot a week or so ago and took a quick peek. There were lots of workmen renovating the inside and it looks big. Of course that doesn't suggest the place will be opening real soon, but Tesla is also hiring for the facility so it should be running reasonably soon, surely long before Model 3 rollout. It's a good location for the East Valley. The existing Scottsdale service center location isn't central to anything but the wealthy neighborhoods of far north Scottsdale, which probably matches well with a large percent of the millionaire Model S and X customer base. The West Valley and Tucson should be jealous.