Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla or "Tezzla" Pronunciation

How do you pronounce Tesla?

• teh· sluh

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • tezzluh

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters
I've heard Elon in video interviews pronouncing Tesla with a strong ZZ.

As Elon is Elon, is this the proper pronunciation? I understand he has an accent, but he's Elon!

I have literally not heard anyone else besides Elon Musk pronounce it "tezzla".

I feel like my life is a lie! FYI I'm from New York. Interested to hear your thoughts!

Or when I go home to Alabama, it's often Taz------la Two syllables. Every word in the South I learned seems to have 2 syllables :D ie "Po----- lease" (spelling) :D Sorry fellow southerners. just had to say that.
LOL I love this and can hear my own voice saying these words in a southern drawl... I grew up in Louisiana, so I totally get it.

• Funny
Reactions: T-Mom

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
I am also from New York and it bothers me. There is a "congruity principle" (I made up that name) whereas names from a foreign source are adapted to fit into another language. English words are used in foreign languages, but they are adapted to fit the alphabet and speech patterns.

Since Elon is from South Africa, we (many of us) need to adapt "teZla" to our speech patterns because the sound "zla" is not used by us (or not frequently).

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC