Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla OR third party charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Expensive installation, OP

In the US I paid to have installed a 14-50 socket for $200 and then chose a pluggable 9.6 kW J1772 EVSE. Advantages:

1. Easy to take the EVSE with me if I move
2. J1722 EVSE can be used for Tesla, and other cars e.g. visitors
3. Less expensive installation

Thanks All for your help and advice; to close the loop, I have been accepted onto the Electric Nation trial (Electric Nation | Your electric vehicle - Your smart charge) and will be having the charger installed by https://thephoenixworks.com/ probably in early August, in time for my car delivery in "late August-September"). Both organisations have been great to deal with, unlike the local Tesla recommended installer...

Any volunteers local to Nottingham who fancy testing the charger for me between install and car delivery.....? :)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Thanks All for your help and advice; to close the loop, I have been accepted onto the Electric Nation trial (Electric Nation | Your electric vehicle - Your smart charge) and will be having the charger installed by https://thephoenixworks.com/ probably in early August, in time for my car delivery in "late August-September"). Both organisations have been great to deal with, unlike the local Tesla recommended installer...

Any volunteers local to Nottingham who fancy testing the charger for me between install and car delivery.....? :)
glad your getting sorted, just check if you get a cable (typ2-typ2) I didn't and so sourced one from the installer (Warick' based I think) who sourced it from a well known supplier and "surcharged" me a little but at least put the onus on them had the whole thing not worked, , not been too Nottingham in years (Old Trip to Jerusalem and Old Salutation) (People's College) etc cheers for now, Nic

Is that for a tesla charger I take it and which one

Tesla only do one wall charger which when I bought earlier this year was £458 IIRC. The cost of installation is dependant on each individual case. I decided I wanted the nicest looking charger on the market IMO and the fact it's Tesla's own made it an easy decision for me, especially in the context of the overall purchase.

Now installed and ready to go; great service from both Electric Nation and PhoenixWorks - now all I need is my car... #EarlySeptember #LongWeight

Attachments

• IMG_9230.JPG
    IMG_9230.JPG
    491.8 KB · Views: 116
Just to add my $0.02 as I'm also picking mine up in a couple of days... I went for the Tesla HPWC for the following reasons:
  • Compatible with both single and three phase - wired with three-phase SWA but attached to a single phase supply until the house electrics are upgraded (live in an old farmhouse - three phase to the premises but don't yet have the industrial style distribution boards fitted). Very convenient as every other type I looked at was either single- OR three-phase and couldn't be switched.
  • From three phase, can shift up to 22kW.
  • Tethered cable - hate the fuss of having to continually fish out the Mennekes cable from the boot, uncoil it, and plug in both ends, only then to have to disconnect both ends again, clean off any water or dirt, coil it and stuff it in the boot. It's a little thing, but daily it becomes annoying.
  • Integrated charge port open/release button - super handy.
  • Not really an issue as it's inside an old barn, but subjectively I think the HPWC looks very swish.
  • Depending on the setting of one of the DIP switches, it can be set to work with other EVs (the Zoe will do a proper 22kW charge from the HPWC when on genuine three-phase, 32A - don't mistake this for the tesla UMC that can fry the Zoe if you're not careful!)
  • Most importantly, PRETTY LIGHTS! :)

Reactions: arg
Gotta day I love this forum. So much great info and informative people. I soon will be looking to get charging sorted for home. I am thinking Tesla clown charger as in my opinion it does look the best and as it will be on the front of my house I want it looking good.

The problem is car position as charger position would be best places on the wall the opposite side to the cars charge point which would then force the cable to run across where we would walk to get out the house (not much room outside a lot of UK properties). I could put the unit under the doorbell so the cable would run to the car without causing obstruction but wouldn’t be ideal as would then have to run the power to the box externally.

I guess it’s not a major issue, just more an annoyance although my wife has said she’s happy to park the opposite side of the drive but that isn’t then great for getting the kids in and out of her car and I guess that most of the time the cable during the day won’t be a problem.

Just need to find a decent installer in the Surrey area as 1 out of the 2 installers on the Tesla site don’t seem to exist so would rather get someone referred if anyone has experience in this area.

Gotta day I love this forum. So much great info and informative people. I soon will be looking to get charging sorted for home. I am thinking Tesla clown charger as in my opinion it does look the best and as it will be on the front of my house I want it looking good.

The problem is car position as charger position would be best places on the wall the opposite side to the cars charge point which would then force the cable to run across where we would walk to get out the house (not much room outside a lot of UK properties). I could put the unit under the doorbell so the cable would run to the car without causing obstruction but wouldn’t be ideal as would then have to run the power to the box externally.

I guess it’s not a major issue, just more an annoyance although my wife has said she’s happy to park the opposite side of the drive but that isn’t then great for getting the kids in and out of her car and I guess that most of the time the cable during the day won’t be a problem.

Just need to find a decent installer in the Surrey area as 1 out of the 2 installers on the Tesla site don’t seem to exist so would rather get someone referred if anyone has experience in this area.

I’m in Surrey and used Blueserve, the Tesla recommended installers. Excellent service, clean and tidy job.

Blueserve Facilities

The wall charger developed a fault (unusual) and a was diagnosed by one quick call to Tesla support. They logged into the car and identified a comms problem with the unit, basically it wasn’t talking to the car. They dispatched a new charger the same day, and Blueserve took the old one off and put the new one on. Simples!

Apart from the reasons well detailed by @cantanko above, I wanted to be sure if there ever was a problem I didn’t get bounced between Tesla and a third party.

The problem is car position as charger position would be best places on the wall the opposite side to the cars charge point

I park "the wrong way round" to solve that problem here. We have an in-and-out drive, and I just come in the wrong end. Its only the wrong end in terms of cars lined up so that the driver side is facing to front door - e.g. when raining.

I recommend getting the charging position right though - I'd even consider digging up the drive if I the charger would be best on the other side. Trailing cables will get damaged, and ease-of-connection is worthwhile given that you'll be doing it pretty much every day. Also worth considering what the layout will need to be when all the cars on your drive, visitors too, are EV. I put a Commando socket in as well as the tethered charger for Tesla, but I'm expecting to have to install more at some future point

Thanks for this, i’ll give them a shout once ordered to get something sorting. Can I ask what sort of price they charged and how long ago? Naturally install prices change but just to get any idea

It was January this year and I paid about £500. A separate RCD thingy in the house and an earth rod too. You’re right though, each install is different.