TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Tesla" or "TSMR" for the "Make"

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by flodrab, Apr 22, 2014.

1. flodrab

flodrab Member

when I applied for insurance, with MetLife, I gave them my VIN and told them the "Make" and "Model" is a Tesla Model S ... I just got a letter from them saying I gave them "incorrect information", and was threatened with cancellation if I don't respond with the correct info within 30 days ... I discovered on both my title and my registration that the "Make" is listed as "TSMR", so I called MetLife to tell them that, they made that change in their computer, and the problem was solved ... I've never seen any reference to TSMR before, and don't even know what it's an abbreviation for, so I have 2 questions: 1) has anyone else had this problem with other insurance companies? ... and 2) do other states/countries use this same abbreviation? (I'm in California)

2. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Probably a code for TeSla MotoRs.

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

I have TSMR too on the registration doc from the CA DMV. Didn't have problems getting insurance from Liberty Mutual. However, just a couple of days ago, tried to get a quote online from AAA; they don't have Tesla in the Make dropdown and rejected my VIN as an "unknown" one - asked me to call in instead which I haven't bothered to.

4. flodrab

flodrab Member

I kind of assumed that ... it wasn't much of a leap to figure that out, but like I said I didn't know for sure ... and that's not the point of the question ... since you're outside the US, I'm curious, what does your registration say?

5. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

I don't have a Model S yet. Been wanting one for over three years - but it looks like I'll be able to buy one late this year. :)

I'm pretty sure this is a state or federal code, though. Just checked a Model S registered here, make and model is listed as: "TESLA MOTORS MODEL S" (All that kind of information is public here.)

6. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

BC, Canada -- Make: TESLA; Model: S; Body style: 4DSDN; Fuel type: ELECTRIC

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Varies by state: My insurance has it as 'TESLA', but the FL registration papers list it as 'TESL'

8. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

If I got such a letter I would be very tempted to take them up on their offer and cancel the insurance myself, and then move to a more accommodating company -- there seems to be plenty of competition. You are very magnanimous! If you are tempted in the future, I highly recommend Costco/Ameriprise (at least here in CA). By far the best deal when I was shopping around. Consumer Reports recommend shopping around once a year too...

9. apvbguy

apvbguy Banned

some database manager figured that TMSR worked for whatever system he was programming, I don't get what has some people so riled up

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

11. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

TESL here in SC on the title and registration both. Model is simply "s"

12. muleferg

muleferg Member

Same in NC, TESL, S

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

For some inconvpceivable reason the Maine Dealer Training Manual doesn't include Tesla in its list of ma ufacturer codes. :scared:

14. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel Member

My registration (CA) also says TSMR, don't know what it stands for but hasn't caused any insurance problems.