Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla order cancelled with no warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned a model X since 2016, I placed a new order in January 2021 for a new model X.

Last week, I got an email saying my VIN was ready and if I still wanted the vehicle, I was so excited and obviously said yes. I responded to some messages about receiving the new vehicle, then inquired about a trade-in.

On wednesday the 14th, they asked me for new photos for old vehicle I wanted to trade-in. I'm a first responder and have been working many hours the past week, but had my wife stop my the dealership today 9/19 to take care of it.

They sat with her for a while talking about a new model Y that she was looking to purchase, then went into my new vehicle and said that my order was just cancelled 20 minutes ago.

I placed the order in January 2021 and now they are saying my order was cancelled, i'm very frustrated with this. I called Tesla support and it goes to a voicemail with the mailbox full. I spoke with the sales person in Michigan and he stated, he wouldn't be able to let me speak with a manager because they would just tell me the same thing and the only number he had for me to call was the basic tesla support number with the full voicemailbox.

Does anyone have any advice??

I have owned a model X since 2016, I placed a new order in January 2021 for a new model X.

Last week, I got an email saying my VIN was ready and if I still wanted the vehicle, I was so excited and obviously said yes. I responded to some messages about receiving the new vehicle, then inquired about a trade-in.

On wednesday the 14th, they asked me for new photos for old vehicle I wanted to trade-in. I'm a first responder and have been working many hours the past week, but had my wife stop my the dealership today 9/19 to take care of it.

They sat with her for a while talking about a new model Y that she was looking to purchase, then went into my new vehicle and said that my order was just cancelled 20 minutes ago.

I placed the order in January 2021 and now they are saying my order was cancelled, i'm very frustrated with this. I called Tesla support and it goes to a voicemail with the mailbox full. I spoke with the sales person in Michigan and he stated, he wouldn't be able to let me speak with a manager because they would just tell me the same thing and the only number he had for me to call was the basic tesla support number with the full voicemailbox.

Unfortunately, this is the type of poor customer service you can expect from Tesla.

Your only option is to order another vehicle and wait in the queue again, or go with another manufacturer. You will get no satisfaction from attempting to escalate to anyone at Tesla, so don’t waste your time.

What did you have on order? there were quite a number of specific models that were discontinued since January 2021. At the time, you may have been asked to change your order, if you did not respond within a specific time, the order was canceled.

Unfortunately, this is the type of poor customer service you can expect from Tesla.

Your only option is to order another vehicle and wait in the queue again, or go with another manufacturer. You will get no satisfaction from attempting to escalate to anyone at Tesla, so don’t waste your time.
I'm sorry this advice seems incredibly foolish. I would be absolutely livid if this happened to me. I have had success calling the local Tesla number which connects me to the general Tesla number. I have used vehicles and then car deliveries as a way to eventually reach an actual person. It definitely takes a while but I've reached a real human twice in a row this way. I would have your old reservation number handy and say that you won't get off the phone unless your order is restored exactly as previously configured.

I'm sorry this advice seems incredibly foolish. I would be absolutely livid if this happened to me. I have had success calling the local Tesla number which connects me to the general Tesla number. I have used vehicles and then car deliveries as a way to eventually reach an actual person. It definitely takes a while but I've reached a real human twice in a row this way. I would have your old reservation number handy and say that you won't get off the phone unless your order is restored exactly as previously configured.
Thank you

What did you have on order? there were quite a number of specific models that were discontinued since January 2021. At the time, you may have been asked to change your order, if you did not respond within a specific time, the order was canceled.
They asked me last week if I wanted to accept delivery, I said yes..the next day (wednesday the 14th) they asked for pictures of my trade in vehicle. I went to the dealership Monday the 19th, and they were looking into iit along with a new model Y for my wife, then 45 minutes after we were there, said 20 minutes ago your order was cancelled.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Good luck with that. I would advise OP to try it and report back. I’ll be waiting for the good news.

Good luck with that. I would advise OP to try it and report back. I’ll be waiting for the good news.
No good news. They wouldn't give me an explanation...they said that the system auto cancelled my order and there is nothing they can do about it. I was trying to talk to the manager as a human being, and he just kept repeating the same thing, "the system auto cancelled your order and there is nothing we can do about it"

I explained that i'm a first responder and was working for 48 hours straight on wednesday and Thursday, He just repeated the same phrase, like a robot.

No good news. They wouldn't give me an explanation...they said that the system auto cancelled my order and there is nothing they can do about it. I was trying to talk to the manager as a human being, and he just kept repeating the same thing, "the system auto cancelled your order and there is nothing we can do about it"

I explained that i'm a first responder and was working for 48 hours straight on wednesday and Thursday, He just repeated the same phrase, like a robot.
Sorry for all your troubles, OP.

And I wish the fanboys would stop giving you false hope. The only way to resolve this situation is to order another vehicle at current market price. You could be eligible for a potential $7500 tax credit depending on delivery date.

Alternatively, if you are a social media influencer, you can sometimes tweet Elon and get a response. Sad, but that’s the way Tesla works and it is not due to incompetence, it’s by design.

Sorry for all your troubles, OP.

And I wish the fanboys would stop giving you false hope. The only way to resolve this situation is to order another vehicle at current market price. You could be eligible for a potential $7500 tax credit depending on delivery date.

Alternatively, if you are a social media influencer, you can sometimes tweet Elon and get a response. Sad, but that’s the way Tesla works and it is not due to incompetence, it’s by design.

Once again, this is very poor advice. Keep going in and talking to them, there is a customer resolutions department, which I've gotten to before. If you want to PM me I'll give you an actual email address of a person that might be able to help you out. Might not! Pretty much a robot, that part is true. But, they get scared of being sued. This is one that you would probably win on. That is to say you'd get the original price, although it might be quite a while before you got it. Also, I would definitely try another location. You might find a person more willing to go to bat for you. The service department also can sometimes step in when the sales aren't interested.

Once again, this is very poor advice. Keep going in and talking to them, there is a customer resolutions department, which I've gotten to before. If you want to PM me I'll give you an actual email address of a person that might be able to help you out. Might not! Pretty much a robot, that part is true. But, they get scared of being sued. This is one that you would probably win on. That is to say you'd get the original price, although it might be quite a while before you got it. Also, I would definitely try another location. You might find a person more willing to go to bat for you. The service department also can sometimes step in when the sales aren't interested.
I tried emailing a different person at Tesla and got a call from the same guy I spoke to before telling me to stop emailing anyone else. Seems like he's out to get me. Hung up on me the first and second time I spoke to him. Wouldn't give me his managers name, when I asked for his manager he said "I'm the manager" and gave attitude. Said if I wanted to address an issue about him, I could only address it with him. I asked again for his manager and he hung up the phone.

His name was Martin Kibler and said he was the manager at 2 different Tesla locations in Michigan.

The price is approx $35,000 more, I just feel like i'm getting ripped off at this point. The sales team obviously can sell the same vehicle now because of the demand for about $151,000 and thats what they are doing. Just don't think it is fair to be treated this way. I've been a loyal customer since 2015, made 10+ referrals to tesla and had the first model x in michigan.

You can look at your order agreement, it probably has an arbitration clause that you could try to use. But that would be a fairly slow process from what I have seen.

Though it does sound like you failed to respond for 5 days, and I think they normally only give 3 days to respond. (I don't understand why you had to go to the Tesla location to take and upload pictures of your trade-in, which is what sounds like was the cause of the 5 day delay. Was the app not working? If so, that could help your case.)

Reactions: Mkeym111
You can look at your order agreement, it probably has an arbitration clause that you could try to use. But that would be a fairly slow process from what I have seen.

Though it does sound like you failed to respond for 5 days, and I think they normally only give 3 days to respond. (I don't understand why you had to go to the Tesla location to take and upload pictures of your trade-in, which is what sounds like was the cause of the 5 day delay. Was the app not working? If so, that could help your case.)
@Mkeym111 this ☝️

The price is approx $35,000 more, I just feel like i'm getting ripped off at this point. The sales team obviously can sell the same vehicle now because of the demand for about $151,000 and thats what they are doing. Just don't think it is fair to be treated this way. I've been a loyal customer since 2015, made 10+ referrals to tesla and had the first model x in michigan.
Sorry to hear about this. I’ve had a previous order canceled automatically as well, for a different reason. After that happens I don’t think there’s anything you can do, it’s pretty much a black hole. If you have a lot of screenshots of the cancelled order details that might help I’m not sure.

Reactions: Mkeym111