Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla order cancelled with no warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear about this. I’ve had a previous order canceled automatically as well, for a different reason. After that happens I don’t think there’s anything you can do, it’s pretty much a black hole. If you have a lot of screenshots of the cancelled order details that might help I’m not sure.
My 3 month old MX was also ordered in January 2021. I also received a price of $35,000 less than current and when it became available to take delivery, they were definitely in a rush to get it delivered to me asap (end of previous quarter). There were also mild threats of canceling order since I rejected first vin because I was out of town.

Operating in this inflationary economy is forcing Tesla into some awkward pricing situations. They could do what Rivian did, and just raise prices on existing orders. Instead they are doing this, which is also pretty shitty for customers.

Op since you mention you are a first responder, the only thing I can think of that might work would be to get some social media blogs to pick up your story. They always seem to be looking for stories like this, and sometimes they get traction. Its this generations version of getting "on the news" as a story.

There is some other backstory that we are unaware of (meaning why the order was outstanding for almost 2 years at this point), but thats none of our business. Try sending your story to some EV blogs or something, and see if you get noticed that way.

There is some other backstory that we are unaware of (meaning why the order was outstanding for almost 2 years at this point), but thats none of our business.
That one is easy. Tesla has been very slow at making refresh Model Xs. People are just starting to get deliveries of non-Plaid Model Xs that were ordered way back from before the refresh was announced. (Like it took 617 days for @MorrisonHiker to get the Model X that they ordered.)

Last edited:
Op since you mention you are a first responder, the only thing I can think of that might work would be to get some social media blogs to pick up your story. They always seem to be looking for stories like this, and sometimes they get traction. Its this generations version of getting "on the news" as a story.

There is some other backstory that we are unaware of (meaning why the order was outstanding for almost 2 years at this point), but thats none of our business. Try sending your story to some EV blogs or something, and see if you get noticed that way.
Good idea, I have a PR person for my company, I think I might take it to that point. I’m very salty about the whole experience. I’ve been loyal to Tesla for many years, I have been pretty much a spokesperson for them, resulted in 11 referrals sent plus many more purchased because of me. I’ve let people rest drive me vehicle and spoken my praises.

I want to believe that this isn’t “Tesla”’s way of doing things and just the couple people I spoke to. The hanging up on, the arrogance, the repeated comments by the manager. It’s hard to believe the customer service has changed so much from my first purchase in 2016.

Seems as if the automatic system that cancels the orders is the boss and nobody wants to try to help any further. There is no sympathy or looking at the obvious facts.

-I patiently waited 21 months after getting multiple delays in my delivery date.

-I’ve been a customer since 2015.

-11 referrals

-first heard my vin was ready on the 10th, added drivers license, got an alliant loan pending, spoke back and forth to the text messages on the 13th about a trade-in and abruptly cancelled on the 15th now is what they are telling me.

-

• Love
Reactions: sorka and kavyboy
It’s the lack of transparency into their policies that’s frustrating. Talking to 3 different Tesla employees often yields 3 different answers. It is easily the worst ran company that I will remain loyal to for the foreseeable future.
One guy told me they have a policy to cancel after 14 days, I told him it was 5 days and I got cancelled. He then said the automatic system cancelled it and there is nothing he could do.

Another person told me that I should call the help desk line and they may be able to help. I spent 2+ hours on the phone. When it sends you to leave a voicemail, it then says the voicemail boxes are full.

The “manager” then called me back and told me he knows I’ve been calling to try to get my issue resolved and he already told me no, and what he says if final, I tried explaining and he hung up the phone.

One guy told me they have a policy to cancel after 14 days, I told him it was 5 days and I got cancelled. He then said the automatic system cancelled it and there is nothing he could do.

Another person told me that I should call the help desk line and they may be able to help. I spent 2+ hours on the phone. When it sends you to leave a voicemail, it then says the voicemail boxes are full.

The “manager” then called me back and told me he knows I’ve been calling to try to get my issue resolved and he already told me no, and what he says if final, I tried explaining and he hung up the phone.
I could be wrong, but my impression after getting auto-cancelled once is that the order is actually ‘gone’ and there’s nothing that can be done about it, although the reps certainly could be a lot nicer.

If you have detailed screenshots of the order and you’re willing to go to arbitration, that’s probably your only hope.

Read your original order that you received via email the day you made the order. It has a process for Mediation. If all else fails, go that route. BTW, the email there is a monitored email. They respond.

Note to all: Read that order, especially the Mediation part. You may wish to opt-out. Its free, and then you can hire a lawyer if you want. If you don't follow the opt-out in the first 30 days, even without a VIN, you are stuck with Mediation. (This is not legal advice, just what I learned).

Good idea, I have a PR person for my company, I think I might take it to that point. I’m very salty about the whole experience. I’ve been loyal to Tesla for many years, I have been pretty much a spokesperson for them, resulted in 11 referrals sent plus many more purchased because of me. I’ve let people rest drive me vehicle and spoken my praises.

I want to believe that this isn’t “Tesla”’s way of doing things and just the couple people I spoke to. The hanging up on, the arrogance, the repeated comments by the manager. It’s hard to believe the customer service has changed so much from my first purchase in 2016.

Seems as if the automatic system that cancels the orders is the boss and nobody wants to try to help any further. There is no sympathy or looking at the obvious facts.

-I patiently waited 21 months after getting multiple delays in my delivery date.

-I’ve been a customer since 2015.

-11 referrals

-first heard my vin was ready on the 10th, added drivers license, got an alliant loan pending, spoke back and forth to the text messages on the 13th about a trade-in and abruptly cancelled on the 15th now is what they are telling me.

-
Maybe send your story in a DM and/or tweet to Whole Mars Catalog on Twitter. He seems to have a bit of a direct connection to Elon himself (maybe due to the high volumes of mentions he has for him but still Elon responds a lot). Elon just recently said that they are working on customer service and this seems to be fairly egregious. If you have some pictures with redacted names it may provide more ammo as well.

Not sure this will work but you need to create some hell for you to get anything out of this. Again I would be livid especially as you have been a loyal Tesla soldier for years.

Once again, this is very poor advice. Keep going in and talking to them, there is a customer resolutions department, which I've gotten to before. If you want to PM me I'll give you an actual email address of a person that might be able to help you out. Might not! Pretty much a robot, that part is true. But, they get scared of being sued. This is one that you would probably win on. That is to say you'd get the original price, although it might be quite a while before you got it. Also, I would definitely try another location. You might find a person more willing to go to bat for you. The service department also can sometimes step in when the sales aren't interested.
Tell you what, if OP can prove he somehow got Tesla to reverse this decision and give him a Model X at the original price he had reserved, I’ll pay for a full year of their Supercharging. If I re-neg, mods can ban me for life.

How confident do you feel that Tesla is going to help out in this situation?

Tell you what, if OP can prove he somehow got Tesla to reverse this decision and give him a Model X at the original price he had reserved, I’ll pay for a full year of their Supercharging. If I re-neg, mods can ban me for life.

How confident do you feel that Tesla is going to help out in this situation?

Actually, not that confident. But I would certainly call that a last resort, not a first. And if I did order at the new higher price, I would probably then opt out of arbitration and then sue them for the difference in price. But, then again, maybe it's not worth it. Life is enough of a hassle without adding to it!

The fact that the manager at that SC is keeping tabs on your interactions with support gives me the feeling that there wasn't an automatic cancellation, but rather that they canceled your order. Maybe news that Tesla is looking to close some of its sales rooms hit close to home and this manager is out to protect their neck. Or maybe they decided to sell to someone else to get it off the lot faster. Who knows. You'll never get the truth because you'll never see the case history.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty common case of poor customer experience. I really don't know what else can be said. The manager is power tripping, which is common in some of the service centers. Just be thankful you don't have a loaner from Salt Lake City. 😂 Anyway, good luck getting media attention on this, I hope something good comes of it. But that seems like a pretty desperate measure, and it seems like your time would be better spent looking for an alternative brand.

Worse yet, even if you went to another brand, it wouldn't make a bit of difference to Tesla. Until these issues hit their revenue, they have no motivation whatsoever to improve customer relationships or service quality. It sucks, because it sounds like you're more likely to spend the extra $35k and still get a new X, but that's a decision only you can make. I'd spend some time looking through the Model X forums to see some of the quality complaints before putting down that extra money, though. You're going to have to deal with this SC manager for any future repairs, so, be ready for that.

The fact that the manager at that SC is keeping tabs on your interactions with support gives me the feeling that there wasn't an automatic cancellation, but rather that they canceled your order. Maybe news that Tesla is looking to close some of its sales rooms hit close to home and this manager is out to protect their neck. Or maybe they decided to sell to someone else to get it off the lot faster. Who knows. You'll never get the truth because you'll never see the case history.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty common case of poor customer experience. I really don't know what else can be said. The manager is power tripping, which is common in some of the service centers. Just be thankful you don't have a loaner from Salt Lake City. 😂 Anyway, good luck getting media attention on this, I hope something good comes of it. But that seems like a pretty desperate measure, and it seems like your time would be better spent looking for an alternative brand.

Worse yet, even if you went to another brand, it wouldn't make a bit of difference to Tesla. Until these issues hit their revenue, they have no motivation whatsoever to improve customer relationships or service quality. It sucks, because it sounds like you're more likely to spend the extra $35k and still get a new X, but that's a decision only you can make. I'd spend some time looking through the Model X forums to see some of the quality complaints before putting down that extra money, though. You're going to have to deal with this SC manager for any future repairs, so, be ready for that.
Honestly, before this. I didn’t even look at an option for another vehicle. I thought I would always drive a Tesla from here on out.

I’ve been doing some research the past couple days and I’m pretty impressed with the progress of other brands…especially for the price. My wife just ordered a Y last week also. I’m tempted to cancel the order also. I’m also a stock holder lol, selling it too… you may see some Tesla merch on eBay soon also, umbrella, some water bottles and pens lol

Reactions: sorka and kavyboy
Honestly, before this. I didn’t even look at an option for another vehicle. I thought I would always drive a Tesla from here on out.

I’ve been doing some research the past couple days and I’m pretty impressed with the progress of other brands…especially for the price. My wife just ordered a Y last week also. I’m tempted to cancel the order also. I’m also a stock holder lol, selling it too… you may see some Tesla merch on eBay soon also, umbrella, some water bottles and pens lol

I'm sorry your experience has you thinking this way, it's really unfortunate. But I think it highlights how Tesla erodes their own customer base. Hopefully you can find someone in the support chain that can do something for you, but having a plan b might not be a bad idea.

They asked me last week if I wanted to accept delivery, I said yes..the next day (wednesday the 14th) they asked for pictures of my trade in vehicle. I went to the dealership Monday the 19th, and they were looking into iit along with a new model Y for my wife, then 45 minutes after we were there, said 20 minutes ago your order was cancelled.

Did you have a vin assigned in the app?

No good news. They wouldn't give me an explanation...they said that the system auto cancelled my order and there is nothing they can do about it. I was trying to talk to the manager as a human being, and he just kept repeating the same thing, "the system auto cancelled your order and there is nothing we can do about it"

I explained that i'm a first responder and was working for 48 hours straight on wednesday and Thursday, He just repeated the same phrase, like a robot.

There are lots stories in this forum of orders being canceled for no explanation and most were able to get them restored. So it's not true there's nothing they can do.