Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Order not actually an order.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just hoping I can help others avoid confusion for anyone in a similar position.

TLDR: Pre-Delivery tasks are actually Pre-ORDER tasks. You must finish all Pre-Delivery tasks to get your place in line.

I placed my "order" on April 24th for a Model 3 SR+. Received confirmation of my order and started working on "Pre-Delivery tasks." I stopped at the financing portion as I was not trading the car in and was holding off selling my existing car until closer to delivery date. I wanted that loan off my credit report before completing the financing portion of the "Pre-Delivery Tasks". As time went on I noticed the EDD pushing out farther which I considered fairly normal given the market these days. At the time I didn't think anything of it but that was a huge mistake. I had a growing suspicion that it was because I had not completed the "pre-delivery tasks". A week after I finished all of the tasks I searched for real-world delivery times for others who had ordered within my timeframe. Pretty much all had been delivered roughly one month prior, meanwhile my "order" is still estimated for another 1-2 months.

At this time I called Tesla and they said that my order confirmation wasn't for an actual order. They said in reality I just created an account on their website....for $100 might I add. So "Pre-Delivery tasks" are not actually pre-DELIVERY tasks they are pre-ORDER tasks regardless of what their own website says. Your $100 order fee does not actually hold your place in line even though there is a check mark indicating you have "Placed your Tesla order"

This is not true. The reservation number secures your place in line, but it's your own special line for your exact configuration and your particular delivery center so it can vary wildly from other people's orders even if they are nearly identical. They do not reshuffle or reprioritize the reservations according to completeness.

Your order placed in April should have been delivered last week like everyone else's but every quarter there's a random handful of orders that don't get fulfilled because the production variety never perfectly matches the order variety.

To add to OP’s experience, that was also roughly what my advisor told me and confirmed again with a follow up after I sent him a relevant question, as I wasn’t able to complete the trade-in section for an extra couple weeks after the order. He did say something about being prioritized once the section was complete, but I’m not sure whether that means “within the queue of people that completed the pre-delivery tasks around the same time for this configuration” or a different queue. Guessing the former.
I wonder whether that includes proof of insurance, which many of us can't provide until we have a VIN to give the insurance company
Yeah I don’t think the insurance section matters as much as you need to have proof of it for delivery which isn’t even possible without a vin number if you don’t already have a car as you point out

This is not true. The reservation number secures your place in line, but it's your own special line for your exact configuration and your particular delivery center so it can vary wildly from other people's orders even if they are nearly identical. They do not reshuffle or reprioritize the reservations according to completeness.

Your order placed in April should have been delivered last week like everyone else's but every quarter there's a random handful of orders that don't get fulfilled because the production variety never perfectly matches the order variety.
Reality and Tesla themselves appear to disagree with you.

Reactions: YHZ-Owner
Just hoping I can help others avoid confusion for anyone in a similar position.

TLDR: Pre-Delivery tasks are actually Pre-ORDER tasks. You must finish all Pre-Delivery tasks to get your place in line.

I placed my "order" on April 24th for a Model 3 SR+. Received confirmation of my order and started working on "Pre-Delivery tasks." I stopped at the financing portion as I was not trading the car in and was holding off selling my existing car until closer to delivery date. I wanted that loan off my credit report before completing the financing portion of the "Pre-Delivery Tasks". As time went on I noticed the EDD pushing out farther which I considered fairly normal given the market these days. At the time I didn't think anything of it but that was a huge mistake. I had a growing suspicion that it was because I had not completed the "pre-delivery tasks". A week after I finished all of the tasks I searched for real-world delivery times for others who had ordered within my timeframe. Pretty much all had been delivered roughly one month prior, meanwhile my "order" is still estimated for another 1-2 months.

At this time I called Tesla and they said that my order confirmation wasn't for an actual order. They said in reality I just created an account on their website....for $100 might I add. So "Pre-Delivery tasks" are not actually pre-DELIVERY tasks they are pre-ORDER tasks regardless of what their own website says. Your $100 order fee does not actually hold your place in line even though there is a check mark indicating you have "Placed your Tesla order"
Here is what my local center responded in an email when I asked about needing to finish out the trade-in and financing portions before receiving VIN (currently have lease ready to go and just waiting on title for trade-in to arrive, should be today):

"We recommend waiting until a VIN is assigned to your account prior to completing the trade-in and payment method sections of your Tesla Account as those are time bound. You will receive an email upon VIN assignment, and a text message with a link to schedule your delivery shortly thereafter."

My trade in evaluation looks to likely expire before delivery, expiration is 7/31 with EDD 8/6-9/5, so I'm just going to upload the title and accept offer anyways to see if it makes any difference. Would be nice if they could have clear communication about this since the emails after order seem to point that those tasks will need to be completed ASAP.

Here is what my local center responded in an email when I asked about needing to finish out the trade-in and financing portions before receiving VIN (currently have lease ready to go and just waiting on title for trade-in to arrive, should be today):

"We recommend waiting until a VIN is assigned to your account prior to completing the trade-in and payment method sections of your Tesla Account as those are time bound. You will receive an email upon VIN assignment, and a text message with a link to schedule your delivery shortly thereafter."

My trade in evaluation looks to likely expire before delivery, expiration is 7/31 with EDD 8/6-9/5, so I'm just going to upload the title and accept offer anyways to see if it makes any difference. Would be nice if they could have clear communication about this since the emails after order seem to point that those tasks will need to be completed ASAP.
A common strategy is to submit order as cash payment. When VIN is assigned, then structure your preferred payment scheme.

I ordered in April. I originally saw 7-8 weeks. Eventually my account said June 1-30. I also stopped at the financing part of the pre delivery activities. The central order support told me it didnt affect anything by waiting on that but I had a similar suspicion that it did. But I also new approvals for financing expire. After that it updated to some crazy window like July 30- Aug 30. So I called again and the advisor said those dates will bounce around. Huh? Then a day later it said July 11- to July 30. As of yesterday it now has no date and says 9-13 weeks. I called in to see what that means. They didn’t know. Still no VIN so I can’t do the insurance. They said I’m “highest priority” which is probably just a line.

I keep seeing photos from friends of truck loads of Tesla’s. So they are getting delivered.

Reactions: TesslAshanti
I asked my SA about this a few days ago because I also suspected that not completing the registration section was going to impact my delivery date since it says that your EDD is based, in part, on profile submission. Initially, he said it wouldn't have any impact & that I didn't have any additional steps to complete until I'm assigned a VIN. But then, this afternoon, he texted me to tell me that he misspoke & that I do, in fact, need to complete the registration/financing steps in order to be assigned a VIN.

A lot of varying information. I have NOT completed any payment/financing steps, it's sitting on "add insurance" and "complete payment" steps but I received a VIN and an EDD for next week. Are you guys choosing cash option or financing? I chose cash, as I can procure my own financing if needed (so, not using Tesla's.)

It does for most folks. Sit on Tesla’s side of the transaction:
  • Demand far exceeds supply.
  • You want to end every quarter with zero cars on hand. Every unit produced should have been sold.
  • Thus, you want to dedicate production to customers who will be ready to buy when their vehicle arrives. While you can probably sell the previously committed vehicle to another customer, that adds delay, effort, risk and cost.
  • Completed information is a useful indicator of customer readiness to buy.
  • Once the unit (VIN) is dedicated, then it’s worth a bit of effort to help the customer nail down the loan, if necessary. It’s also easier for the customer to arrange the loan with VIN in hand.

I couldn’t even complete my tasks after my initial order as I couldn’t (and still can’t) get into my account, just the standard Home Screen. I contacted Tesla and they sorted the order for me and I uploaded my licence etc but I still can’t get on the account screen! At one point I was seriously worried that the texts etc I was getting were spam. Has anyone else had these troubles?