Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla originally billed us $35 for checking air pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of our second Model 3 three weeks ago. After the delivery agent left my house I took the car for a drive and found the steering wheel binding, emitting a loud squeal when turned. They had me bring the car to the Marina Del Rey delivery center and they could not fix it so they made me an appointment for warranty service at the Van Nuys Service Center.

Tomorrow morning is my appointment and this afternoon I received a service estimate by email that includes diagnosing the steering wheel problem at no cost, but they are hitting me up for a $35 service charge for checking tire air pressure under the heading of California required pressure check.

This law that has been around since 2010, but Tesla appears to now be making this a new profit center. I did not have this fee when I brought my first Model 3 in for a software problem. Anyone else in California been hit up for this fee? This feels like a shakedown. I tried to call the Tesla service, but after being on hold for 15 minutes I gave up and hung up.

Tire Pressure Program

You interacted with someone, at $35 they are not turning a profit.

If a customer just wants them to check air pressure, tying up resources then perhaps... if a customer with a brand new $50-70K car gets the tire pressure checked while it is already in for needed service Tesla would be idiots to charge for it.

that's ridiculous. I've never had a Cal repair shop charge extra from topping off tires.

Yes, it may have been the only thing MDR did, but they didn't have to since the car was referred to Van Nuys. I'm sure that they would have checked the air as a matter of course for no charge.

Send an e-mail of complaint. that should be a comp service. Hit up Elon on his twitter feed.

Reactions: doowopqueen
I am not saying they should charge for checking pressure, I was saying at $35 no profit is happening.

With the onslaught of 3 owners I can see a $35 charge being implemented to encourage folks to do it themselves.
Also shops(general not Tesla specific) have been known to have variable billing based on interactions with the guy writing the bill.

They check my tire pressure/top it off every single time my car goes in for a problem. It's on the service report

I just thought it was another courtesy

Edit: Maybe that's not the case with the Model 3. The story above is with my Model X.

Reactions: whatthe2
Here is a screen capture of the work order
tesla-screen.jpg

Here is a screen capture of the work orderView attachment 356255
You can decline the check:
https://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/2009/tirepres09/tirefinalreg.pdf
  1. (5) A customer may decline the check and inflate service if the customer affirms one of the following:
    1. (A) He or she has performed (or had performed) a tire pressure check and inflate service within the last 30 days, or

2. (B) He or she will perform (or will have performed) a tire pressure check and inflate service within the next 7 days.

You can decline the check:
https://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/2009/tirepres09/tirefinalreg.pdf
  1. (5) A customer may decline the check and inflate service if the customer affirms one of the following:
    1. (A) He or she has performed (or had performed) a tire pressure check and inflate service within the last 30 days, or

2. (B) He or she will perform (or will have performed) a tire pressure check and inflate service within the next 7 days.

Ok, that is good. I was going to take the morning off from work to deal with this, but I will go back to my wife taking it in with a copy of that. Anyone in California ever have this on a work order?