Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla originally billed us $35 for checking air pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a love-hate relationship with Tesla. First, I love my S100 (upgraded from S75). It's truly the first car I have ever owned that enjoy driving day after day, after day. I hate my S100, because it's the second Tesla I've owned that has tires (Goodyears) that constantly lose tire pressure. Why is that? I have never owned a car that requires tires being topped up every 7-10 days. Also, tire related, I just had my first tire rotation on my S100. Prior to rotation, I called Tesla for an appointment (first one appointment was two months out!) and found out the first rotation wasn't free, when the first, and only, rotation on my S75 was. So, I took my car over to my tire shop that is familiar with Teslas. I watch him place the floor jack exactly under each lift point of the car. No appointment and no waiting, he rotated all four tires and checked the pressures in less than 15 minutes. $20 - cash. BTW, flash your Costco card and they will be happy to check and adjust your pressures for free, even if they have a self-serve compressor pump attached to the outside of the building.
Please don’t waste Tesla’s time with tire rotations and inflation’s. They’re kind of slammed right now.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
I know it's not the point of this thread, but I bought one of these from Amazon during a gold box a couple of weeks ago, and I love it. It's always a pain having to get in line at QT or Costco for free air, and there's a part of me that will always refuse to pay $1 for air at most of the other gas stations around here (it's air!). Quieter and far more convenient than the traditional noise makers/compressors.
A bike pump is even quieter and you get a little workout.

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus
I would be VERY surprised if they charged you 35 bucks for checking tire pressure, especially when you didn't request it. That would be a pretty funny conversation though.
We go to a shop that has fixed multiple Flats on our X - for free. We did that after finding out Tesla charged us $50. Alignment? We saved $200 by NOT going to the SC .... which also meant we didn't have to wait for a week or 2, just to get in the door.
So of COURSE they're going to charge for their 45 seconds to squirt air ... & it makes perfect sense. All of their So Cal SC's are so backed up with "no-charge" warranty issues - it's costing Tesla a fortune.

You interacted with someone, at $35 they are not turning a profit.
Yes they are. That is exactly how ICE shops make money. 10 minutes service at best x $20/hour the tech makes=$3.33 dollar cost. Plus, it does not sound as though he asked for tire check. The tech made it sound mandated by the state.
I get my tires checked and filled for free at my local tire shop where I buy tires. The tires on the Tesla are new and therefor paid for at Tesla. I am sure the customer can do it or have it done for much less anywhere else.

I took delivery of our second Model 3 three weeks ago. After the delivery agent left my house I took the car for a drive and found the steering wheel binding, emitting a loud squeal when turned. They had me bring the car to the Marina Del Rey delivery center and they could not fix it so they made me an appointment for warranty service at the Van Nuys Service Center.

Tomorrow morning is my appointment and this afternoon I received a service estimate by email that includes diagnosing the steering wheel problem at no cost, but they are hitting me up for a $35 service charge for checking tire air pressure under the heading of California required pressure check.

This law that has been around since 2010, but Tesla appears to now be making this a new profit center. I did not have this fee when I brought my first Model 3 in for a software problem. Anyone else in California been hit up for this fee? This feels like a shakedown. I tried to call the Tesla service, but after being on hold for 15 minutes I gave up and hung up.

Tire Pressure Program
Interesting. What standard is available to check tire pressure gauges? I have several tire pressure gauges, some sticks, several dial and even one digital. None of these gauges read the same. I suspect this is similar to the speedometer issue. What two speedometers read the same, all across their range and how do they compare to the machines that the police use to catch you? I appreciate the intent of the state of California to reduce carbon dioxide emissions, but this seems to be getting into nitty gritty over which there is not much consistency or veracity.

Must be that expensive California air.

At least it's cleaner with all the EVs out here and what get's passed eastward is too.

The tire pressure check IS mandated State law. Don't get all these posts acting like it's not. And as numerous Calif Tesla owners have posted here, Tesla shops don't charge for it. They list it on the service order showing the check had been made and it falls under a Goodwill code. In OPs case someone simply coded it wrong. Pretty much end of story. Just bring the invoice amount to the Service Center's attention and no doubt they will remove it. Can't believe we have 4 pages on someone making a mistake at time of printing out the service order.

I also notice that OP never commented after taking his car in for service and what the shop did about the invoice Estimate. Likely the item gets shown on the Estimate as figuring in hourly time for the service dept but when actual work is done the goodwill adjustment is made to the actual invoice for the $35.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canuck
BMW wanted to charge me something like $60 (0.5 hours labor) to snap out the cup holder and snap in a new one. I had the car, an M3, in for a full brake job to the tune of $2k.

I mentioned the broken cup holder and asked if it could be fixed. Sure, cup holder was $20. There was no pricing in the system so he wanted to charge 1/2 hour. I asked if I could pay the $20 and leave it on the seat. I was told that was not possible, but I could get it from parts when I picked the car up. Had to wait in two different lines and go to two different cashiers.

Anyway, I find it funny that this thread keeps going. OPs spouse asked about it and they zeroed out w/o question.

I took delivery of our second Model 3 three weeks ago. After the delivery agent left my house I took the car for a drive and found the steering wheel binding, emitting a loud squeal when turned. They had me bring the car to the Marina Del Rey delivery center and they could not fix it so they made me an appointment for warranty service at the Van Nuys Service Center.

Tomorrow morning is my appointment and this afternoon I received a service estimate by email that includes diagnosing the steering wheel problem at no cost, but they are hitting me up for a $35 service charge for checking tire air pressure under the heading of California required pressure check.

This law that has been around since 2010, but Tesla appears to now be making this a new profit center. I did not have this fee when I brought my first Model 3 in for a software problem. Anyone else in California been hit up for this fee? This feels like a shakedown. I tried to call the Tesla service, but after being on hold for 15 minutes I gave up and hung up.

Tire Pressure Program

Yes they are. That is exactly how ICE shops make money. 10 minutes service at best x $20/hour the tech makes=$3.33 dollar cost. Plus, it does not sound as though he asked for tire check. The tech made it sound mandated by the state.
I get my tires checked and filled for free at my local tire shop where I buy tires. The tires on the Tesla are new and therefor paid for at Tesla. I am sure the customer can do it or have it done for much less anywhere else.

Yeah because shops dont pay Social security, workmans comp insurance, the building is free, obviously no benefits costs, the compressor gauge and air lines are free.

So there's a $35 coding error and Tesla is the worst of the worst, according to some? That seems like a slight overreaction to me.

My S is out of warranty and Tesla didn't charge me for a repair -- failed washer pump -- as a courtesy. I think my attitude goes a long way since that's not unusual with me. GM replaced a door actuator in my Tahoe hybrid post warranty too. Shops have a lot of discretion when it comes to repairs that is exercised when they want - not when the customer wants. Honey attracts. Sh!t repels. Some people seem to never figure that out. But I digress.

OP, that charge sucks, and it would offend me too, but I assume it was removed when you were finally able to bring it to their attention?

Reactions: brkaus and arathald