Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Orlando claiming front license plate mounts can no longer be removed?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can also confirm the screws are no longer used on the 2021+ LR/Plaid. Only held on with tape. Like others, I used a pair of angled long-nose pliers to get those star screws off on my older S. Be careful as it's easy to slip off and scratch the paint.

@yul sam - That's not the right tool and will not work. I've not seen the right tool for the job although I'm sure it's out there.

Also got the same reply from Tesla service center about the crash test. My PFF guy didn’t know how to remove it. But my question is 1) there are two star-shaped screws(for which I don’t have a wrench for) aren’t they keeping the plate holder attached to the bumper? If not, what the deal with them? Any ideas where I can get a wrench fit it? 2) when you removed the plate holder were there any visible holes or signs of something being there? 3) does it do anything to Tesla’s warrantee or liability protection since you altered the car?

You can also get them out using a pair of 90 degree angled needle nose pliers. You should be able to pick up a pair of these at any good hardware/tool store. I didn't have 90 degree, but had 45 degree, and were still able to get them out using those. After the first initial turn or two I could then just get them the rest of the way our with my fingers.

There are also sites on-line where you can find people have made plastic printed tools or even metal ones.

The only two holes are the two for these screws that go into the bumper from the underside. I chose to get some standard metric hex head capscrews to put back in. That's because I didn't like the idea of leaving the threads into the bumper exposed to get gunked up with road dirt/salt/etc in case someone ever needs to reattach the holder in the future.

If you get a small pair of bent needle nose pliers from harbor freight or something you can turn those stupid screws enough to get them off. My 3M tape was 6 years old by the time I went to remove it so it came off in bits and pieces but heating the entire plate holder up with a hair dryer definitely helped with the initial removal. Then goo gone the rest and it should be good to go
yall out here just making me laugh, how do you have a toolbox and not have a set of torx bits? Let alone not know what a torx bit is yall something else 😂😂😂

• Disagree
Reactions: Gadget-X
yall out here just making me laugh, how do you have a toolbox and not have a set of torx bits? Let alone not know what a torx bit is yall something else 😂😂😂
It's not a Torx so Torx bits are useless for the removal of the bolts. It's sort of an inverse of Torx. Sorry, I don't know the name. It's far from any standard most people might have in their toolbox. Wish I could show a picture, but I sold the car earlier this year.

Reactions: vsapi100
Because a torx bit will not work, not sure what they have there as it does look fairly special. I have every bit in the book in my garage and nothing fits, used some big ass needle nose pliers which did work however the star shaped screw looked pretty bad when I was done with it.

It's not a Torx so Torx bits are useless for the removal of the bolts. It's sort of an inverse of Torx. Sorry, I don't know the name. It's far from any standard most people might have in their toolbox. Wish I could show a picture, but I sold the car earlier this year.

Because a torx bit will not work, not sure what they have there as it does look fairly special. I have every bit in the book in my garage and nothing fits, used some big ass needle nose pliers which did work however the star shaped screw looked pretty bad when I was done with it.

It is a security bolt. 5 lobe not 6. Pliers work or buy on Amazon...

M

PS - just love folks that have not a clue calling out other members laughing at them... Can't make this $hit up!!

IMG_6539.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: vcor
It is a security bolt. 5 lobe not 6. Pliers work or buy on Amazon...
M
PS - just love folks that have not a clue calling out other members laughing at them... Can't make this $hit up!!
when someone says star bolt with no pictures where does your mind go... TORX! exactly so calm down karen
On my car it was just a couple Philips head screws when i removed the front plate mount.

They are claiming that because the car was crash tested with the front plate holder, they must deliver the cars with it installed. But when I received my Model 3 in May of 2020, the front plate holder was in the trunk and not installed. Is this only a Model S issue?
Well that's interesting. When I got my Model 3, the front plate holder was in the trunk and not installed. It's still in the trunk and not installed. If a CHP officer ever pulls me over for no front plate, I'm going to tell him that since the car was delivered without it, it must have been crash tested without it, and to maintain the same safety rating, I cannot install the front plate.

This is obviously only on the refreshed (yoke) MS where the odd security bolt is found and plate is stuck on from the factory, maybe it also applies to the refreshed MX but not sure. This is after all in the MS section and the title does say this is something new,

Well that's interesting. When I got my Model 3, the front plate holder was in the trunk and not installed. It's still in the trunk and not installed. If a CHP officer ever pulls me over for no front plate, I'm going to tell him that since the car was delivered without it, it must have been crash tested without it, and to maintain the same safety rating, I cannot install the front plate.
That's irrelevant to them, the law in California requires a front plate. You can try making that argument to the judge, but I'm sure they heard the excuse before.

The CA law requires the dealer to either install the bracket, or get buyer to sign that they refused to have the bracket installed and understands the law regarding the front license plate.
2021 California Code :: Vehicle Code - VEH :: DIVISION 5 - OCCUPATIONAL LICENSING AND BUSINESS REGULATIONS :: CHAPTER 4 - Manufacturers, Transporters, Dealers, and Salesmen :: ARTICLE 1 - Issuance of Licenses and Certificates to Manufacturers, Transporters, and Dealers :: Section 11713.17.

Last edited:
Reactions: Proppilot
That's irrelevant to them, the law in California requires a front plate. You can try making that argument to the judge, but I'm sure they heard the excuse before.
Oh, I wouldn't try it with a judge. Judges know the law and know what's relevant and what's not. But trying it with a CHP officer by the side of the road? Why not? Officers have an incredible amount of leeway to not ticket you up until the point they finalize the paperwork.
Well the real reason of course is that I don't want an ugly front plate ruining the look of my car.

Last edited:
Oh, I wouldn't try it with a judge. Judges know the law and know what's relevant and what's not. But trying it with a CHP officer by the side of the road? Why not? Officers have an incredible amount of leeway to not ticket you up until the point they finalize the paperwork.

Well the real reason of course is that I don't want an ugly front plate ruining the look of my car.
I just think if the officer is going to bother stopping you for a fix-it ticket, they will just issue it. If they weren't going to take issue, they wouldn't stop you in the first place (I rarely see people report CHP issuing front plate ticket). Where I got it was from a meter maid, when I was parked on the street away from the car, there was no way to dispute it, other than if I take it to a court.