Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Orlando claiming front license plate mounts can no longer be removed?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same issue at pick-up, but they loosened the screws for me, which have a unique head (the screws, not me). Once loose I was able to remove them and then a heat gun and patience was all that was needed for the adhesive tape.

Wow. I can’t believe that response, sounds very lazy. The good news is it should be easy to remove with fishing line and a heat gun/hair dryer, though if there is any superficial damage to the car under the plate and you remove it, they likely wouldn’t cover fixing if you removed it. Tough.
But there shouldn't be any "superficial damage" under the plate. Even if there was, Tesla sells touch-up paint to match your car. Even if there is a scratch or chip behind the plate, you'll get a lot more of those as you drive. But plus one on the heat gun and fishing line. It's about a five-minute job.

when I got my m3 about 2 years ago, the front plate (which is REQUIRED IN CALIF.) was just in the trunk, in a bag, brand new.

I never installed mine and its never been on my car in all the years I've owned it. (I dont park in areas where metermaids do their thing and that's the only real worry about not having one).

I like the look without it. likely I'll sell the car this way, too, when its time ;)

if it was a law, how come the calif tesla (fremont pickup) didn't force it on me?

This is nothing new and Tesla will not remove it, nor should they. What they should've done in the first place is do the damn crash test with no front plate like a corvette then you wouldn't have to put a front plate on it because the manufacture deemed it as not possible to do like Chevy did with the vette.
But since they did the tests with a front plate it is now a legal requirement in those states to display a front plate and those that don't require on the owner can remove it of their own accord. Or be like me and have the car registered in a state that requires it (NV) and don't do it while living in a state (CA) that also requires it and don't do it anyway, I will not comply.

Tesla could save a bunch of money by not installing the front plate holder to states where it is not required.
Clearly not the case. Resubmitting for crash testing obviously would have a larger impact on the bottom line. If even 1 vehicle sale was lost or delayed, it would far outweigh the cost of 100,000 license plate covers.

Here is Raven Front Plate holder. Two security screws and one piece.

M

66423704620__48B245E2-028C-4161-BB7D-79042F6AA526.JPGIMG_5407.JPGIMG_5408.JPG

We made it clear at pick-up we would not take delivery unless the front plate holder was removed. They said they couldn't do it that day, so they create a service due-list item to remove it.

Really, you would turn down delivery because the front plate holder is attached? That's being a little dramatic. It takes 10 mins max to undue the 2 security bolts, heat up the plate to loosen the double sided tape. Then just heat up the remaining residue or use goo-gone to wipe up the residue.

I would understand if the plate holder was screwed in to the front bumper like a lot of other cars. But this is 2 underside screws and double sided tape. You won't even notice it was ever there. To everyone complaining about the time it takes to get a service appointment or complete a service appointment, it's because they have to waste time dealing with this petty stuff.

Reactions: Pdubs and Bull
Just have a PPF shop remove it. It takes a bit of work but comes off clean. It is held on by 3M VHB tape. I agree with all points here. The vehicle is certified as equipped and removing anything by a manufacturer could put them out of compliance.
A local wrap shop removed my front plate for $35. You can do it yourself by watching several you tubes that explain it, but if you melt the plastic with your heat gun or scratch the paint somehow its on you.

Hi All - I've been a multi-Tesla owner since the original Roadster... feeling the decline of Tesla service since 2009!

The latest absurdity: Our brand-new Plaid Model S was delivered with a front license plate holder. Front license plates are not used in Florida.

We made it clear at pick-up we would not take delivery unless the front plate holder was removed. They said they couldn't do it that day, so they create a service due-list item to remove it.

Now today at the service appointment they are trying to claim it is "against the law" for them to remove it, saying it "invalidates crash test results".

LOL. A stick-on plastic license plate holder invalidates crash test results.

Has anyone heard anything like this from anywhere else?

I'm still shaking my head.
The service center does not want to bother with this problem. Takes too long and they can damage the area. I got my TESLA "S" plaid in December 2021 and also wanted to remove the front license plate holder. A giant pain in the Ass but finally got it off. Just used the blow dryer like on all the U Tube videos but was very difficult and took a long time. After trying to heat the area, I carefully used a long flat blade screwdriver to separate the tape from the license plate holder a little bit starting at the edge. The blow dryer didn't seem to help at all. I have done this before so I can do it, but easy to scratch the front nosecone if you really don't know what you are doing. The double sided sticky tape they use now is REALLY a lot stronger than before. My 2019 TESLA S was much easier. My "S" Plaid took me about 2 hours to complete. My friend's new model 3 was delivered with the front license plate holder in the trunk. He was lucky!

Tesla could save a bunch of money by not installing the front plate holder to states where it is not required.
Easy when it bolts on and you can throw it in the trunk like most manufacturers do. Problem is it is stuck on, half the people or more would loose their plates in the first 100 miles if they needed to stick this on themselves due to improper prep work not to mention there would be a bunch of crooked ones on the road. If they needed to install depending on destination, this would create a logistics nightmare. Especially with so many not taking delivery and then the car ends up in another state/province after the fact.

The way it is suits me fine. I removed mine with a heat gun in 10 mins, no ugly holes or nuts/brackets showing, clean as if nothing was ever there. Would be nice if you had the option of removal at the SC prior to delivery though.

Reactions: Proppilot