Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Orlando claiming front license plate mounts can no longer be removed?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a lot of you tube videos about removing the front license plate on 2022 model S. I took mine to a collision center that does worn Tesla and they took it off in 10 minutes at no charge. Tipped them $50 anyway cause it looks great. It’s really easy and looks a lot better.

When I picked up my 2018 MS in Florida I was told the same thing. However, there is unique head to the bolts underneath. They loosened the bolts for me without removing them. Once home I took the bolts out, and with a lot of patience and a heat gun, slowly worked the holder off. Save it for resale as it may be needed for out of state sales.

It's a compliance issue. The low speed crash test needs to have no more than a certian repair value for them to sell the car.

Without the front plate bracket the hood bends in the test and that costs a lot of money so the car fails the test.

What customers do after they buy the car is not Teslas concern so the deliver the car in compliance.

Also got the same reply from Tesla service center about the crash test. My PFF guy didn’t know how to remove it. But my question is 1) there are two star-shaped screws(for which I don’t have a wrench for) aren’t they keeping the plate holder attached to the bumper? If not, what the deal with them? Any ideas where I can get a wrench fit it? 2) when you removed the plate holder were there any visible holes or signs of something being there? 3) does it do anything to Tesla’s warrantee or liability protection since you altered the car?

• Funny
Reactions: airborne spoon
Also got the same reply from Tesla service center about the crash test. My PFF guy didn’t know how to remove it. But my question is 1) there are two star-shaped screws(for which I don’t have a wrench for) aren’t they keeping the plate holder attached to the bumper? If not, what the deal with them? Any ideas where I can get a wrench fit it? 2) when you removed the plate holder were there any visible holes or signs of something being there? 3) does it do anything to Tesla’s warrantee or liability protection since you altered the car?
There are videos on youtube. Get some fishing line and a hair dryer. It's attached with tape. Comes off easily in about 10 minutes.

Reactions: vsapi100
20220903_164828[1].jpg

20220916_084004[1].jpg

Dental Floss or 100lbs fishing line. WD40 or Adhesive remover used to remove the double sided tape residue

1) there are two star-shaped screws(for which I don’t have a wrench for) aren’t they keeping the plate holder attached to the bumper? If not, what the deal with them? Any ideas where I can get a wrench fit it?
You can also get them out using a pair of 90 degree angled needle nose pliers. You should be able to pick up a pair of these at any good hardware/tool store. I didn't have 90 degree, but had 45 degree, and were still able to get them out using those. After the first initial turn or two I could then just get them the rest of the way our with my fingers.

There are also sites on-line where you can find people have made plastic printed tools or even metal ones.

The only two holes are the two for these screws that go into the bumper from the underside. I chose to get some standard metric hex head capscrews to put back in. That's because I didn't like the idea of leaving the threads into the bumper exposed to get gunked up with road dirt/salt/etc in case someone ever needs to reattach the holder in the future.

If you get a small pair of bent needle nose pliers from harbor freight or something you can turn those stupid screws enough to get them off. My 3M tape was 6 years old by the time I went to remove it so it came off in bits and pieces but heating the entire plate holder up with a hair dryer definitely helped with the initial removal. Then goo gone the rest and it should be good to go

For others coming down this rabbit hole, the 2021-2023 S front plate is only held on with adhesive, no screws. The 2016 S has two screws facing downwards as others talk about where the plate holder wraps under the facia opening. And somewhere between 2016 and 2021, they switched designs.
My 2022 does have star shaped screws in the front plate holder. But I guess the screws only one part and the adhesive tape is after screws are removed