Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla OS 8 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Under current transport legislation which is stone-aged, the approval is not automatic. Tesla HK should apply to TD for approval of 8.0. No doubt, TD is highly bureaucratic and red tape, the matter also depends on how Tesla HK diligently follow up with TD. TD is definitely to be blamed but Tesla HK's effort in pushing through should not be discounted.

TD is simply followed the current aged legislation. Hence, individual application for exemption such as 8.0 is therefore required. I don't want to say good words to TD but this is a matter of facts in legislation. Through various battles with TD in the past, I feel they did move a bit but at turtle speed (insane mode is not applied to TD).

To reiterate, Tesla HK's effort in pushing through all new version should not be discounted.

Last edited:
The legislation is not sufficient to cover this situation. The real reason is public service liability and the backwardness you get with non elected government that answers to no one.
There is no reason why HK can't copy British law and practice and automatically adopt what is adopted in the U.K. in respect of motor vehicle law.

I'm not so certain about the legislative requirement for pre-approval.

Certainly, in the past, not every (if any) software update has required pre-approval. That was just the TD's knee-jerk reaction to the autopilot press stories.

The legislation allows for a type approval process, and so long as the modification (hardware or software) does not affect that type approval (ie; still meets regulations), I don't see anything in the legislation to require pre-approval.

Here is the legislation relevant to modification of a vehicle:

CAP 374 Road Traffic Ordinance s 53 Prohibition of sale, hire etc. of vehicles not complying with regulations

no person shall alter or cause or permit to be altered a motor vehicle or trailer so as to render its condition such that the use thereof on a road would contravene any provision of this Ordinance as to the construction, weight, equipment, brakes, steering gear or tyres thereof.

Here are the two guideline documents the government provides:

http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/content_1178/dondont.pdf
http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/content_1178/alteration.pdf

As you can see, vehicle software is not mentioned at all. The only way that I can see that software would be involved is if it altered the performance of the vehicle, function of its safety systems (brakes, etc),, or modifies the vehicle in such a way as to violate an ordinance (e.g. adding a video player).

Interestingly, as a private individual I have asked Transport Department for pre-approval of a modification, and they refused - they said it is up to me to ensure the change complies with the legislation (which is absurd because no modern vehicle on the road today complies with the section 37 vehicle display unit legislation).

I think markwj is right.

Though I'm not a political commentator, but does HK's governance separated its legislative branch and executive branch?

No one elected TD and nor does this matters, just bureaucrats!
It does matter. There is no one to answer for their portfolio responsibility to eject. They can be as hopeless as can be, without responsibility to whom they serve.

Bureaucracy in HK: you gave them trouble, they will examine your application "more carefully" next time unless you gave them enough trouble to make them realize you aren't the one they can mess with

So, I don't see we having 8.0 anytime soon.....

With the safety improvements in 8.0, especially with autopilot, you think the TD would be keen to approve it. But I guess their role is to follow the laws and regulations!

people fear what they do not understand
if the status quo has been good enough (and has been lining their well enough pockets so far) then why change?

example can be found easily with the tourist-centric focus of the local retail industry.