Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Outdoor Curbside Charging Station almost ready for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to have missed these new posts -- spending too much time on the Model 3 pages, as I'm expecting delivery of a dual motor performance in about a month.

This is great work! I'm interested in your idea of making a few in small volume. I live relatively near by (Alexandria, VA) so would definitely be up for picking up one in person. Are you still thinking about making some of these or did it get to be too involved? Also do you have any pictures of the new version? I've been following this thread since reserving a Model 3 2+ years ago and I'm getting close to delivery. Even if you aren't open to making them for others, thanks for sharing the photos and concept so that others can enjoy the benefits of charging and needing to live in a single family home.

If someone wants to organize some kind of group DIY workshop about building one of these I'd be happy to help. But with my work life taking off I won't have time to build others on my own. As for location something embedded in the sidewalk next to the curb would be perfect, provided your HOA would let you do it.

Sorry to have missed these new posts -- spending too much time on the Model 3 pages, as I'm expecting delivery of a dual motor performance in about a month.

If someone wants to organize some kind of group DIY workshop about building one of these I'd be happy to help. But with my work life taking off I won't have time to build others on my own. As for location something embedded in the sidewalk next to the curb would be perfect, provided your HOA would let you do it.

That's awesome! I just took a test drive of the Model 3 performance last weekend and it is very impressive. I'm anticipating getting my dual motor Model 3 in the next month or so too. Just patiently waiting for the call/email that I have a VIN number and it's in the process of shipping.

If you're up for running a DIY workshop, I'm happy to try and coordinate something. Just curious if there is enough interest locally. How many people would you be looking for in order to make it worth your time? I'd say if you could provide the shopping list of everything needed, I could coordinate logistics and dates. We could have everyone come with their own supplies and you could walk us through the process. Granted I'm about to pull the trigger on reaching out to my HOA for approval, the one part I've been dreading in all of this. So if it is approved, I'm all in.

Reactions: NormVA
I am curious where you will be locating this. I live in a townhouse in Reston and the sidewalk is adjacent to the curb with no grass in between. I would need to located it on the sidewalk, the curb or in the street. Not sure if there is any precedence for this situation. My current car is the Prius (left).View attachment 323730

Thanks, Norm

I'm planning on installing it between the sidewalk and the parking lot. I have an assigned spot and hope I'm able to put it where the stepping stone is in this picture. Possibly cut a hole in the middle of the stone and try and have the connector as flush as possible with the stone. That way there won't be a tripping hazard or it potentially getting hit by a lawn service that cuts the common areas.

Attachments

• Stepping Stone.png
    Stepping Stone.png
    470.9 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: Akikiki and NormVA
That's awesome! I just took a test drive of the Model 3 performance last weekend and it is very impressive. I'm anticipating getting my dual motor Model 3 in the next month or so too. Just patiently waiting for the call/email that I have a VIN number and it's in the process of shipping.

If you're up for running a DIY workshop, I'm happy to try and coordinate something. Just curious if there is enough interest locally. How many people would you be looking for in order to make it worth your time? I'd say if you could provide the shopping list of everything needed, I could coordinate logistics and dates. We could have everyone come with their own supplies and you could walk us through the process. Granted I'm about to pull the trigger on reaching out to my HOA for approval, the one part I've been dreading in all of this. So if it is approved, I'm all in.

I would be interested in the response from your HOA. Thanks, Norm

I would be interested in the response from your HOA. Thanks, Norm

My HOA just approved my request and on top of that I just got confirmation of my delivery for Oct 6th! @artsci - I’m all in for replicating your setup at my location if you are willing to provide specs/parts needed for a certified electrician to install. I didn't see anyone respond to the workshop you proposed so I'm not sure if that is something that will solidify anytime soon. I'm also willing to do a workshop directly with you if that is less time consuming and help with other requests you may get in the future.

With the generous help of @artsci there are now two of his creations out in the wild. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I highly recommend this setup if you are living in a townhouse without a garage and you have a dedicated parking spot. It's the best none obtrusive solution out there for people in a similar living situations. To add to all the helpful information @artsci has already provided in this thread, I've also compiled a parts list of what was used.

Parts List

uy471gX8SEily7IfG1j4XA_thumb_f90.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f8a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f89.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f8e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f8d.jpg

Reactions: jerry33
Great job, @jbwags. Ironically, my community association forced me to remove my curbside charger and all its wiring. It's a long story but basically there was a rupture in a gas pipe which they blamed on my charger, even the wiring ran 15 feet away from the gas pipe. The firemen who responded to the gas leak told me that BGE's gas and electric lines run parallel and in close proximity and that BGE was to blame.

Fortunately I discovered I can charge at work by combining two out of phase 120 volt outlets to this device, which produces 240 volt/20 amp output.

So I now have my carbon fiber charging stand for sale. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.