Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla over the counter parts or lack there of

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't make this stuff up. This happened over the course of two days. I emailed Tesla Service Manager as well as the parts department email that I had previously to find out if Tesla over the counter parts have any warranty as the USB C port in the rear vent that I bought to retrofit my car wasn't working. No response. I find out later that the reason one of the ports isn't working is because darling daughter doesn't know her Lightning from her USB C and destroyed one of the USB C ports after numerous times of jamming the wrong connector in. I then emailed again to the service center with the same email that I used back in February asking if they had the part in stock that I need with the part number. I called on the phone numerous times only to be told to email them with a different address than the one I had so I used that one too. No response.

The next day around noon I called and asked for sales and got I guess a customer service person who said they are at lunch and she would follow up. Guess what? 3pm rolls around and clearly they are back from lunch and no one called. Between the time I called customer service and 3pm I called the two other service centers that are near me. Both did not answer the phone and all they said on the phone was leave a voice mail. I did for both service centers.

At 3pm I call back to customer service and they try calling my local service center again with no luck. They said they could try one of the other two where I left a voice mail or could escalate to management to call me back. I said try the service center before management and apparently they got someone as he all of a sudden appeared on the phone. No warm transfer or anything left me wondering who I was talking to at first, but whatever I can finally get my part. The guy makes me give my VIN which is utterly ridiculous for a no VIN part per the catalog, but finally he says he has ordered the part and it has No ETA. I said well do you think it will ever arrive and he said it looks like it is coming from PA and I could check back with the last 6 digits of my VIN for updates. I said okay are you going to send me an email with the order or something or how do I check on this. He says you can call us to check. I said but you don't answer the phone and he said, yup if we have a customer in front of us, we don't answer the phone (kind of rudely, but whatever). I've been to plenty of dealer parts departments and there isn't a line out the door for 3 service centers not to be answering their phone. I then said do you have an email where I can check the status and he said No.

So there you have it, Freaking outstanding TESLA. Woohoo, way to go!!. Oh, and to end the story right, Still no email from my main service center, and neither of the other 2 where I left a voicemail called me back. I didn't expect a voicemail from one where I placed the order, but the other 2 is just plain sad. I love this car, I hope I'll love the cybertruck even more, but Wow just Wow.

Reactions: markc2
Unless vehicle disabled (they answer the phone if you go down those choices) the fastest response is making a service request. USB ports have been in short supply as some vehicles have been delivered without them installed and then Mobile installers putting in.

Unless vehicle disabled (they answer the phone if you go down those choices) the fastest response is making a service request. USB ports have been in short supply as some vehicles have been delivered without them installed and then Mobile installers putting in.
Yea, can't make a service request for an over the counter part can you? I was kind of wondering why they have chat for service requests and not for I want to order a part for my vehicle. It would make sense to have both.

Yea, can't make a service request for an over the counter part can you? I was kind of wondering why they have chat for service requests and not for I want to order a part for my vehicle. It would make sense to have both.
Sure you can. I made a service appt to buy 2 rear seat clips which I broke (and I told them that) and 2 trim clips. They changed it to mobile service and dropped them off to me. I paid $6.87 for everything. Kinda cool if you ask me.

By the way, the seat clips were like $40 each on eBay!

Sure you can. I made a service appt to buy 2 rear seat clips which I broke (and I told them that) and 2 trim clips. They changed it to mobile service and dropped them off to me. I paid $6.87 for everything. Kinda cool if you ask me.

By the way, the seat clips were like $40 each on eBay!

Interesting, I did not know that. In my case though, it would be difficult as I'm ordering parts for a different car and I don't know how that would work, plus don't they want to charge labor to install?

Interesting, I did not know that. In my case though, it would be difficult as I'm ordering parts for a different car and I don't know how that would work, plus don't they want to charge labor to install?

The point above is you don't need to phone or email for parts, just write down what you want to buy on the Service Center app. There's no labor charge because you just write down the parts without installation from them.

I can't make this stuff up. This happened over the course of two days. I emailed Tesla Service Manager as well as the parts department email that I had previously to find out if Tesla over the counter parts have any warranty as the USB C port in the rear vent that I bought to retrofit my car wasn't working. No response. I find out later that the reason one of the ports isn't working is because darling daughter doesn't know her Lightning from her USB C and destroyed one of the USB C ports after numerous times of jamming the wrong connector in. I then emailed again to the service center with the same email that I used back in February asking if they had the part in stock that I need with the part number. I called on the phone numerous times only to be told to email them with a different address than the one I had so I used that one too. No response.

The next day around noon I called and asked for sales and got I guess a customer service person who said they are at lunch and she would follow up. Guess what? 3pm rolls around and clearly they are back from lunch and no one called. Between the time I called customer service and 3pm I called the two other service centers that are near me. Both did not answer the phone and all they said on the phone was leave a voice mail. I did for both service centers.

At 3pm I call back to customer service and they try calling my local service center again with no luck. They said they could try one of the other two where I left a voice mail or could escalate to management to call me back. I said try the service center before management and apparently they got someone as he all of a sudden appeared on the phone. No warm transfer or anything left me wondering who I was talking to at first, but whatever I can finally get my part. The guy makes me give my VIN which is utterly ridiculous for a no VIN part per the catalog, but finally he says he has ordered the part and it has No ETA. I said well do you think it will ever arrive and he said it looks like it is coming from PA and I could check back with the last 6 digits of my VIN for updates. I said okay are you going to send me an email with the order or something or how do I check on this. He says you can call us to check. I said but you don't answer the phone and he said, yup if we have a customer in front of us, we don't answer the phone (kind of rudely, but whatever). I've been to plenty of dealer parts departments and there isn't a line out the door for 3 service centers not to be answering their phone. I then said do you have an email where I can check the status and he said No.

So there you have it, Freaking outstanding TESLA. Woohoo, way to go!!. Oh, and to end the story right, Still no email from my main service center, and neither of the other 2 where I left a voicemail called me back. I didn't expect a voicemail from one where I placed the order, but the other 2 is just plain sad. I love this car, I hope I'll love the cybertruck even more, but Wow just Wow.
No one will get back to you about your $5 non-critical part during an end of quarter vehicle delivery window?

I am shocked.

I don't know if that is really true, as I said, they would likely want to install it. Its certainly something I may try next time, but clearly this post wouldn't have happened and a lot of frustration would be solved if they just said that on the phone.
Not if you tell them explicitly what you want. They didn’t install my seat clips because I told them I just wanted to purchase them. I even offered to pick them up at the service center. Tesla changed it to mobile service and they dropped them off to me.

No one will get back to you about your $5 non-critical part during an end of quarter vehicle delivery window?

I am shocked.
Its a 30 something dollar part and its pretty critical to me when my kids need to charge their stuff in the backseat. Further, I own a Tesla, let me tell you how little I give a S**T about their delivery window. LOL Why any Tesla owner would be talking about delivery windows is beyond me.

Not if you tell them explicitly what you want. They didn’t install my seat clips because I told them I just wanted to purchase them. I even offered to pick them up at the service center. Tesla changed it to mobile service and they dropped them off to me.
So I did as you said, I scheduled service, told them I want this part and scheduled at the service center that supposedly ordered the part. I have about 5 percent faith that he actually ordered it.

Its a 30 something dollar part and its pretty critical to me when my kids need to charge their stuff in the backseat. Further, I own a Tesla, let me tell you how little I give a S**T about their delivery window. LOL Why any Tesla owner would be talking about delivery windows is beyond me.
If a USB port is critical to you, I don’t think you should be buying Teslas.

Good luck when something really serious happens.

Man, you are the reason Tesla gets away with this garbage, sorry, but its unacceptable and Tesla needs to change. Paint defects, defective panels and gaps, etc, bumpers falling off, not acceptable. Expecting the customer to pay to replace PPF and Tint when front bumper and back window need to be replaced, NOT ACCEPTABLE. Not acceptable for Ford, not acceptable for Toyota, not acceptable for Tesla. Why people seem to put Tesla in a different group is beyond me. Most valuable automaker in the world I believe? That means you have to have standards like every other automaker, the free pass because you invoke the word Tesla died when they actually started mass producing cars. Definitely with the model 3/Y, and should have with the S as well.

EDIT: I apologize if it seemed like I'm attacking you, I'm not, I'm attacking the idea that Tesla should get a pass at this stage in the game. I love this car more than any other for various attributes, but some things are to the point of making me say forget it.

Last edited:
Definitely with the model 3/Y, and should have with the S as well.

Oh sure, forget about us X owners!

(haha, kidding.)

But seriously -- placing a parts-only-no-install order is easy via the app. Had no issue doing that myself when I busted my tow hook cover. I offered to pick it up, they insisted on using mobile service as as courier. I find it a waste of the technician's time, but I guess they don't. Either way, I have my fancy new tow hook cover and it's all good.

I also had to do a parts+install order for the seat belt buckle my dog chewed. That went swimmingly well also; was a $40 labor fee to replace the belt buckle. Given that it's a safety-critical part, I was more comfortable letting them do it.

Reactions: .Slug
Oh sure, forget about us X owners!

(haha, kidding.)

But seriously -- placing a parts-only-no-install order is easy via the app. Had no issue doing that myself when I busted my tow hook cover. I offered to pick it up, they insisted on using mobile service as as courier. I find it a waste of the technician's time, but I guess they don't. Either way, I have my fancy new tow hook cover and it's all good.

I also had to do a parts+install order for the seat belt buckle my dog chewed. That went swimmingly well also; was a $40 labor fee to replace the belt buckle. Given that it's a safety-critical part, I was more comfortable letting them do it.

I'm glad you had luck with the tow hook cover, I tried that too. 20 dollars for two hook cover and install. 175 dollars to paint it LOL. I'm not completely sure how Tesla doesn't have these prepainted like every normal dealer would, anyway found someone on Ebay that looks like they have what might fit and look good. I will be ecstatically happy if I can just have a confirmed order on the part I need and be able to get updates. As for you X owners. The X came out after the S, so I was just saying that by the time of the S coming out, making excuses for Tesla was already dubious, but with the 3 and Y, its insane.

Man, you are the reason Tesla gets away with this garbage, sorry, but its unacceptable and Tesla needs to change. Paint defects, defective panels and gaps, etc, bumpers falling off, not acceptable. Expecting the customer to pay to replace PPF and Tint when front bumper and back window need to be replaced, NOT ACCEPTABLE. Not acceptable for Ford, not acceptable for Toyota, not acceptable for Tesla. Why people seem to put Tesla in a different group is beyond me. Most valuable automaker in the world I believe? That means you have to have standards like every other automaker, the free pass because you invoke the word Tesla died when they actually started mass producing cars. Definitely with the model 3/Y, and should have with the S as well.

If you think @glide is somehow "apologizing" for Tesla, you havent been around here long enough or read enough threads. Not to put words in someones mouth, but I am supremely confident that @glide doesnt think any of that is acceptable, just thinks "thats the way the company operates so get used to it".

As for this rant, its borderline a personal attack, so I suggest dialing it back some.

I am shocked.
Man, the one thing I can say after getting a Tesla is that there sure are a lot of bootlickers in the community.

I can tell you from experience that this is not normal for other dealers/manufacturers, so why are you trying to normalize it?

Edit: Just noticed the moderator response. This is how Tesla does business because too many customers handwave it and allow them to.

I'm glad you had luck with the tow hook cover, I tried that too. 20 dollars for two hook cover and install. 175 dollars to paint it LOL. I'm not completely sure how Tesla doesn't have these prepainted like every normal dealer would, anyway found someone on Ebay that looks like they have what might fit and look good. I will be ecstatically happy if I can just have a confirmed order on the part I need and be able to get updates. As for you X owners. The X came out after the S, so I was just saying that by the time of the S coming out, making excuses for Tesla was already dubious, but with the 3 and Y, its insane.

The inconsistency is what I don’t get. Mine was fully painted, ready to roll. For $11.

I wish, seriously, that Tesla would send all the SC managers out here to NJ to see how it’s done. They just seem to get it right. Not saying they’re perfect — nobody is — but service has met my expectations every time and goes beyond it many of those.

I genuinely feel for those of you with a bad experience; that’s just not acceptable. I feel like our folks here prove it CAN be done well, and within Tesla’s system at that.

So why can’t the others figure it out? That’s what I want to know.

A08C6F77-F7FF-468F-931A-8DDBC726FFB4.jpeg