Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla overcharge?

Does your car overcharge?

• Yes - all the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - never

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Sometimes - random

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

bktiger86

Sep 3, 2016
West Covina, CA
Hi all. Happy Holidays. I kinda want to do a poll to find out has anyone been experiencing the same "issue" as I am. I am not sure if this is an issue I need to bring up to the service center but lets say the night before I will set a charge of 90%. However, the next morning I wake up...it will charge sometimes to 95 or in this case 98%.

It doesn't happen all the time. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5437BF2B0E9B-1.jpeg
    IMG_5437BF2B0E9B-1.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: NoirMS

gaswalla

Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery
Sep 23, 2012
San Diego
2 years into model 3 ownership - yep happens to me occasionally. I think it’s due to the temperature changes from overnight to daytime and rebalancing

ran349

Jun 28, 2016
SoCal
Hi all. Happy Holidays. I kinda want to do a poll to find out has anyone been experiencing the same "issue" as I am. I am not sure if this is an issue I need to bring up to the service center but lets say the night before I will set a charge of 90%. However, the next morning I wake up...it will charge sometimes to 95 or in this case 98%.

It shouldn't happen. Certainly not 90% to 97%. I would bring it up with the service center. Also, you should watch it sometime to see if it stops at 90%, and then resumes later, or something else is going on.

ShawnA

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2017
Edwardsburg, MI
Hi Bktiger86,

I have seen some other reports of this on some of the recent software 2019.36.x.x
Are you charging on a HPWC?
If you are on 2019.40.2.1 and are still having the problem contact your Service Center.

Shawn

NoirMS

Oct 21, 2018
Orlando

never experienced this.... 15 months owning a cpo 2015 ms..... I read this thread and the next night (last night) I overcharged.... barely but it did happen...
still on v9...
weird...
Screenshot_20191216-081656_Tesla.jpg

Reactions: bktiger86

NoirMS

Oct 21, 2018
Orlando
Very interesting...yeah I'm not sure if it is weather related or not. I live in California and lately it has been pretty cold in my garage.
def not weather for me... had the car too long and been through all 2 seasons we have, lol... I'm still simply blown away that I woke up to my 1st ever overcharge after reading this thread about overcharging for the 1st time....
will be monitoring next few charges and will post any anomalies....

SeminoleFSU

Voluntaryist
Apr 5, 2013
Atlanta, GA

This happened to me for the first time in years of ownership (two cars since 10/2013) when I tried the new "depart at" option in the charging scheduler. Once I realized it was still charging even when the car was at or above the charge limit I had set, I immediately went back to my the start charge at 2am option and it hasn't happened again since.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC