TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla overcharge?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by bktiger86, Dec 15, 2019.

?

Does your car overcharge?

1. Yes - all the time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No - never

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. Sometimes - random

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Hi all. Happy Holidays. I kinda want to do a poll to find out has anyone been experiencing the same "issue" as I am. I am not sure if this is an issue I need to bring up to the service center but lets say the night before I will set a charge of 90%. However, the next morning I wake up...it will charge sometimes to 95 or in this case 98%.

It doesn't happen all the time. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  2. gaswalla

gaswalla Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery

2 years into model 3 ownership - yep happens to me occasionally. I think it’s due to the temperature changes from overnight to daytime and rebalancing

3. ran349

ran349 Member

It shouldn't happen. Certainly not 90% to 97%. I would bring it up with the service center. Also, you should watch it sometime to see if it stops at 90%, and then resumes later, or something else is going on.

4. ShawnA

ShawnA Supporting Member

Hi Bktiger86,

I have seen some other reports of this on some of the recent software 2019.36.x.x
    Are you charging on a HPWC?
    If you are on 2019.40.2.1 and are still having the problem contact your Service Center.

Shawn

5. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

I am using the HPWC. The firmware version is 2019.40.2.1. I will keep an eye on it to see if happens more consistently.

6. NoirMS

NoirMS Member

never experienced this.... 15 months owning a cpo 2015 ms..... I read this thread and the next night (last night) I overcharged.... barely but it did happen...
    still on v9...
    weird... Screenshot_20191216-081656_Tesla.jpg

• Like x 1
  7. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Very interesting...yeah I'm not sure if it is weather related or not. I live in California and lately it has been pretty cold in my garage.

8. NoirMS

NoirMS Member

def not weather for me... had the car too long and been through all 2 seasons we have, lol... I'm still simply blown away that I woke up to my 1st ever overcharge after reading this thread about overcharging for the 1st time....
    will be monitoring next few charges and will post any anomalies....

9. beatle

beatle Member

Do you have a service like TeslaFi that can monitor the charging? This can give you a bit better insight as to what is happening.

10. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

This happened to me for the first time in years of ownership (two cars since 10/2013) when I tried the new "depart at" option in the charging scheduler. Once I realized it was still charging even when the car was at or above the charge limit I had set, I immediately went back to my the start charge at 2am option and it hasn't happened again since.