Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Owner Cleared of Criminal Charges After Explaining ‘Dog Mode’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A Tesla owner in Ireland, Ross Hunt, was cleared of breaking animal welfare laws after a judge accepted that the owner’s beloved poodle was actually safe inside the climate-controlled electric vehicle.

A concerned passer-by saw the poodle, Loki, sitting inside the Tesla Model S on a hot day and called authorities, which resulted in a charge for Hunt under the Animal, Health and Welfare Act. He pleaded not-guilty.

Hunt said he explained to a Dublin Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (DSPCA) inspector that the car maintained a safe temperature when the car was parked. He even showed the inspector his phone with the Tesla app displaying the car’s inside temperature.

“He had also thought they were going to break one of the windows as he came running to them,” according to a report from Irish Independent.

The trial even included an expert witness from Tesla to confirm the car was fitted with a system to keep the dog cool, even when the car was parked and locked.  

“Dismissing the charges, Judge John Brennan said he accepted Mr Hunt’s evidence and said it was quite clear he was very loving, responsible and caring dog owner,” according to the Independent.

The news comes a week after TMC member James Morrison was surprised to step into a parking lot in Burlington, Ontario and find police surrounding his Model 3. Similarly, a concerned citizen had reported that Morrison had left his dog Amber in a hot car with the windows up.

Fortunately, police accepted Morrison’s explanation.

“The police officers were very nice,” Morrison said. “We showed them the dog mode and they asked to feel the temperature inside. They took photos of the sign, I expect to educate their peers.”

Photo: Not Hunt’s actual poodle

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: Hacov
Additional signs should be placed on at least the driver & passenger windows (sold online by multiple companies) that could help reduce such issues when using Dog Mode.

Non-Tesla owners simply don't notice the screen message, so additional signage is necessary to let people & police know the situation. You might even want to add your cell# on the sign for people & police to call if they are really concerned.

Although a nice feature to have, it does freak out most non-Tesla owners, so these additional easy-to-read signs on windows should be standard practice when using Dog Mode.

Reactions: TomHudson
Unfortunately, signs could be purchased by non-Tesla owners and used inappropriately resulting in dangerous conditions for the vehicle’s occupants. But I’m sure we could come up with a solution that couldn’t be abused.

Valid point, however there's nothing preventing people today from placing any sign they want on any vehicle. I personally don't like the idea of leaving a pet in my locked Tesla, even though we have Dog Mode. But if I ever had a situation where that had to occur, I would place additional signs on my windows. I've used Dog Mode when I wanted to keep groceries cold and I didn't want the A/C to turn off, so that was neat.

Reactions: TomHudson
Additional signs should be placed on at least the driver & passenger windows (sold online by multiple companies) that could help reduce such issues when using Dog Mode.

Non-Tesla owners simply don't notice the screen message, so additional signage is necessary to let people & police know the situation. You might even want to add your cell# on the sign for people & police to call if they are really concerned.

Although a nice feature to have, it does freak out most non-Tesla owners, so these additional easy-to-read signs on windows should be standard practice when using Dog Mode.

Ummm...been there...done that...still get police visits...

Tin Poodle: The road to hell is lined with....

signs.jpg

Reactions: jlv1
Great post idoco! Just proves that we need to leave our animals at home, and not in a locked vehicle. But I'll still use it to keep my milk & eggs cold ...

No, proves we need to have more patience with the those less fortunate than those of us that know better. We shouldn't hide behind convention, education and knowledge is how we mold the future. I say bring your Tesla stuffed with pooches, felines, and gerbils (birds leave too much of a mess), set up a tent and chair, and educate the masses!!!!

• Informative
Reactions: phsiao11
I had a hard time getting past, “Hot day in Ireland”. Figured it had to be satire

A Tesla owner in Ireland, Ross Hunt, was cleared of breaking animal welfare laws after a judge accepted that the owner’s beloved poodle was actually safe inside the climate-controlled electric vehicle. A concerned passer-by saw the poodle, Loki, sitting inside the Tesla Model S on a hot day and called authorities, which resulted in a charge...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/09/20/tesla-owner-cleared-of-criminal-charges-after-explaining-dog-mode/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
A Tesla owner in Ireland, Ross Hunt, was cleared of breaking animal welfare laws after a judge accepted that the owner’s beloved poodle was actually safe inside the climate-controlled electric vehicle. A concerned passer-by saw the poodle, Loki, sitting inside the Tesla Model S on a hot day and called authorities, which resulted in a charge...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/09/20/tesla-owner-cleared-of-criminal-charges-after-explaining-dog-mode/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
I had

Unfortunately, signs could be purchased by non-Tesla owners and used inappropriately resulting in dangerous conditions for the vehicle’s occupants. But I’m sure we could come up with a solution that couldn’t be abused.
While this is possible, it's just as likely that someone would obscure their dog behind window screens. Sometimes there simply isn't a perfect solution.

Valid point, however there's nothing preventing people today from placing any sign they want on any vehicle. I personally don't like the idea of leaving a pet in my locked Tesla, even though we have Dog Mode. But if I ever had a situation where that had to occur, I would place additional signs on my windows. I've used Dog Mode when I wanted to keep groceries cold and I didn't want the A/C to turn off, so that was neat.
I use dog mode when my son (Age 20) accompanies me on errands and he does not want to leave the car. He also plays games and I get to post dog mode sign!

This had to go all the way to trial? With an expert witness required, no less? Was there no way for the responding officer to employ common sense and simply not cite the owner?
Really! But I suspect the ticket was left on the windshield, and the ticketee just went to traffic court. It wasn't a trial, but a either hearing or an arraignment that the cop didn't attend.

My dogs -- both present and past -- loved being in the car. They definitely prefer being in the car to being left alone at home. Dog mode is truly a blessing.

Really! But I suspect the ticket was left on the windshield, and the ticketee just went to traffic court. It wasn't a trial, but a either hearing or an arraignment that the cop didn't attend.

Really? What kind of officer do you think would leave a ticket for endangering the life of an animal without rescuing the animal? If that's what happened, the officer should be fired. Not that the dog's life was really in danger but you would have to believe it was in danger in order to charge the owner in good conscience.

Last edited:
Reactions: StarLog