TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Blog Tesla Owner Cleared of Criminal Charges After Explaining 'Dog Mode'

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by TMC Staff, Sep 20, 2019.

1. TMC Staff

A Tesla owner in Ireland, Ross Hunt, was cleared of breaking animal welfare laws after a judge accepted that the owner’s beloved poodle was actually safe inside the climate-controlled electric vehicle. A concerned passer-by saw the poodle, Loki, sitting inside the Tesla Model S on a hot day and called authorities, which resulted in a charge...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

• Funny x 1
  2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

This had to go all the way to trial? With an expert witness required, no less? Was there no way for the responding officer to employ common sense and simply not cite the owner?

• Like x 8
  3. jcoop

jcoop Member

Additional signs should be placed on at least the driver & passenger windows (sold online by multiple companies) that could help reduce such issues when using Dog Mode.

Non-Tesla owners simply don't notice the screen message, so additional signage is necessary to let people & police know the situation. You might even want to add your cell# on the sign for people & police to call if they are really concerned.

Although a nice feature to have, it does freak out most non-Tesla owners, so these additional easy-to-read signs on windows should be standard practice when using Dog Mode.

• Like x 1
  4. JJ16

JJ16 Member

Do I detect a business opportunity?

5. REckard

REckard Member

Unfortunately, signs could be purchased by non-Tesla owners and used inappropriately resulting in dangerous conditions for the vehicle’s occupants. But I’m sure we could come up with a solution that couldn’t be abused.

6. jcoop

jcoop Member

Valid point, however there's nothing preventing people today from placing any sign they want on any vehicle. I personally don't like the idea of leaving a pet in my locked Tesla, even though we have Dog Mode. But if I ever had a situation where that had to occur, I would place additional signs on my windows. I've used Dog Mode when I wanted to keep groceries cold and I didn't want the A/C to turn off, so that was neat.

• Like x 1
  7. idoco

idoco Member

Ummm...been there...done that...still get police visits...

Tin Poodle: The road to hell is lined with....

signs.jpg

• Like x 1
  8. jcoop

jcoop Member

Great post idoco! Just proves that we need to leave our animals at home, and not in a locked vehicle. But I'll still use it to keep my milk & eggs cold ...

9. REckard

REckard Member

No, proves we need to have more patience with the those less fortunate than those of us that know better. We shouldn't hide behind convention, education and knowledge is how we mold the future. I say bring your Tesla stuffed with pooches, felines, and gerbils (birds leave too much of a mess), set up a tent and chair, and educate the masses!!!!

• Informative x 1
  10. idoco

idoco Member

Thanks. But when you're on the road for three months straight you don't leave family home:rolleyes:

• Love x 3
    • Like x 2
  11. SnakesOnAPlane

Curious, when driving, does your animals ride with seat belts on to keep them safe in the chance of an accident (and you and your passengers from flying “objects”)?

• Like x 1
  12. Tbird

Tbird New Member

I had a hard time getting past, “Hot day in Ireland”. Figured it had to be satire

I had

• Funny x 3
  13. MrTeff

MrTeff Member

While this is possible, it's just as likely that someone would obscure their dog behind window screens. Sometimes there simply isn't a perfect solution.

14. Punnie

Punnie New Member

I use dog mode when my son (Age 20) accompanies me on errands and he does not want to leave the car. He also plays games and I get to post dog mode sign!

15. MrTeff

MrTeff Member

Really! But I suspect the ticket was left on the windshield, and the ticketee just went to traffic court. It wasn't a trial, but a either hearing or an arraignment that the cop didn't attend.

16. jscmanson

jscmanson Member

My wife used dog mode when she had to go to emergency. Cop was very understanding when she came out to sort out the concerned citizens a couple of hours later. Dog enjoyed all the company!

17. MrTeff

MrTeff Member

My dogs -- both present and past -- loved being in the car. They definitely prefer being in the car to being left alone at home. Dog mode is truly a blessing.

• Like x 2
  18. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Well-Known Member

#18 StealthP3D, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Really? What kind of officer do you think would leave a ticket for endangering the life of an animal without rescuing the animal? If that's what happened, the officer should be fired. Not that the dog's life was really in danger but you would have to believe it was in danger in order to charge the owner in good conscience.

• Like x 1
  19. Martycus

Martycus New Member

Any way to affix a several strands of ribbon or yarn to the vent to indicate when the AC is on?

• Informative x 1
  20. rdskill

rdskill Member

Has anyone dared use dog mode while leaving the wife in the car?

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2