Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took the liberty of making up a quick Google spreadsheet to follow the invites process (and later) VIN assignment and delivery. I know there is a special tracker website but it needs an account and the data is just not that accessible. This spreadsheet is online and has a narrow focus. Feel free to look it over and add additional details as the process progresses. Here is the link!

(Edit : I made two assumptions 1) every invited customer has 4 weeks delivery 2) every invite has gone out to a previous owner so far)
(Edit2 : everyone can now edit the spreadsheet)

Model 3 invites to configure

Last edited:
Have seen many M3 order confirmation on Reddit since they opened it for non employees. Its looks like did not do a batch but include every day new reservation holders. All with 4 weeks delivery.

That would indicate they know they can keep up with the existing production rate and grow from here and don't have to stop the line to fix issues.

Happy to see non-employees getting invites! This means actual reviews, no NDA gagged employee-only deliveries. Reminds me of when Model X started shipping to us commoners, except without the speculation possibilities - some of the first Model X'es showed up on ebay at $100K premium. While a Model 3 may show up on ebay at some point, I don't see someone paying even $50K over MSRP to get one.

Do the NDA's still apply now that us commoners are getting invites?
Did you sign any NDA's? What could Tesla's recourse be? They can't fire you, they can't take away the car you paid them for, or force you to sell back to them. Once the car goes to the market, the cat's out of the bag - the cars can be reviewed, re-sold, crashed, scrapped, hacked, etc.

• Love
Reactions: cdub
Thanks for sharing this. Is there any info on the delivery prospects? My reservation said AWD was Q4 of 2018. Hopefully that will hold, but I also read that way more people requested AWD than expected (I'm assuming for trips to Tahoe). Hoping against hope that they may change production schedules to prioritize AWD if so many more want it?
That would only make sense if they run out of people willing to buy RWD.

Reactions: schonelucht
Did you sign any NDA's? What could Tesla's recourse be? They can't fire you, they can't take away the car you paid them for, or force you to sell back to them. Once the car goes to the market, the cat's out of the bag - the cars can be reviewed, re-sold, crashed, scrapped, hacked, etc.

I think smarty was wondering if the NDA on the employees would be lifted now that non-employees are being allowed to configure.

RT

I think smarty was wondering if the NDA on the employees would be lifted now that non-employees are being allowed to configure.

RT

We’ve seen detailed review videos, owners answering every question put to them by forums members, what more do people want? Employees being careful about what they say in regards to their company’s products will always be in effect.

Reactions: aronth5
Sure they are, everyone that received an invite yesterday was a prior owner. However, "all the invites went to prior owners" is not the same as saying that "all the prior owners got invites". They still factor in location and time of reservation in some way. And, even then, there will be some people who are pretty much equal so it may just be luck of the draw at that point.
I was replying to the notion that Tesla was prioritizing based on 'how long' you had been an owner.

Thanks for sharing this. Is there any info on the delivery prospects? My reservation said AWD was Q4 of 2018. Hopefully that will hold, but I also read that way more people requested AWD than expected (I'm assuming for trips to Tahoe). Hoping against hope that they may change production schedules to prioritize AWD if so many more want it?

No idea at this point.

I would have thought Dual Motors would be one of the first configs available, as it's a higher profit margin for Tesla. They definitely need to replenish the capital outlay to get the production lines up and running. Maybe the tech wasn't ready yet.

There's still a lot of mystery here.

We’ve seen detailed review videos, owners answering every question put to them by forums members, what more do people want? Employees being careful about what they say in regards to their company’s products will always be in effect.

Release of the car to an independent review site for an extended test drive. Clarification as to whether the car actually does go 343 miles EPA versus the 310 that Tesla seems to have had the EPA put on the sticker. Those are two off the top of my head...

RT