Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should be an interesting day tomorrow...

One week since the first e-mail's went out asking current owners with reservations to configure. There was a rumor in the other thread that Tesla would be sending those e-mail's out in weekly batches. So tomorrow and Wednesday may see some more go out. The poll shows that of the 104 current owners with reservations that 26 (25%) have received the configuration invite. And schonelucht's spreadsheet shows 33 having configured with 6 deferring configuration. Also, in one of the other threads someone mentioned that you typically receive a VIN about 3 weeks before the delivery. So we might start seeing those anytime now too.

It seems like the best visibility into the ramp as of this week will be how many additional owners are invited to configure. Week 1 was 39 total (per schonelucht). Obviously there were many more than 39 invitations sent out. Tesla will now have a good idea of how many cars they will need to build and deliver in 3 weeks, and will adjust the next number of invites sent based on how many cars they believe they can get built the week after the current configured cars get built. If we see another ~40 reported, then the ramp hasn't increased. The total reported over 40 indicates the slope of the early ramp.

Total number that they will deliver in 3 weeks is still the big unknown. That depends on what percentage of total invitees are registered on TMC and posting to this thread. Others have speculated what this number might be based on Model S production and delivery rates, but I don't think those numbers are necessarily valid anymore given the larger brand awareness of Tesla. I think there are more Model 3 reservation holders on the site as a percentage of total reservations now than there were Model S reservation holders. Don't think I would want to hazard even a guess at the total number of invites sent out. But I do believe we can use the newly reported invites to gauge the ramp slope.

And also use the spreadsheet to make sure that Tesla actually delivers the promised cars in 4 weeks as they estimated. I really don't think they would publicly say 4 week delivery unless they were pretty confident they could do it. They have enough egg on their face already given their recent slip due to the battery packaging. And speaking of battery production issues, I haven't seen any speculation in this thread or other Model 3 threads concerning whether we believe that Tesla has the problem resolved. For example, is the new hardware and software in place to automate the battery module production?

Just my $0.02 reading of the tea leaves.

RT

P.S. I would love to see 80 additional entries in the spreadsheet by the end of day Wednesday. That is something I could really sink my teeth into. ;)

I really hope that Tesla lets the people invited to configure tomorrow or Wednesday know whether or not their car will be delivered by December 31, 2017. A delivery timeline of "4 weeks" or "late December" would be fine. A delivery timeline of "4-6 weeks" will drive me nuts from a decision standpoint since this could mean late December or early January. Due to the uncertainty of the federal tax credit, I only want first production if I can take delivery this year.

What was that movie? Gung Ho? The one with Michael Keaton and the union plant that the Japanese wanted to improve to make better cars.

Oh, you'll get a car by 12/31. There might a due bill item or six or eight that comes with as an added bonus, too.

Not quite sure what the rush is all about. Congress is in no danger of passing anything substantive by year end, the Senate has the EV credit intact in any case, and there may be something to what they say about taking delivery of an end of quarter and/or end of year car relative to its quality.

Now, if you're willing to roll the dice about delivery date (hey, if they said 4 weeks, then that's the target) and initial quality in exchange for a guaranteed tax credit, well, more power to youse. Especially if the LR model is also the one you want anyway - in which case, well, there's that.

Thank you for being not just an early adopter, but for being an earrrrrrrrrrrrly adopter :). Think of it this way - exclusive of employees, if Tesla offered signature editions for the Model 3, you'd be getting one of those, timing-wise, at least.

Would still like to know what the "something special" is going to be for line waiters that Elon promised. Other than the car itself *cough* - yeah, that's it - who said I didn't love ya, apologists?

Nahhhhhh!!!! Who needs seats? I can do without the windshield being installed, maybe even the trunk (but gotta have a Frunk). You can leave off brakes on two wheels (my MS has used very little of them anyway). Bumpers, wipers, front license plate holder (all fluff)!!!
But install the cup holders or mail to me - I will install.

If that'll help get it delivered by end of year.

P.S. I can even etch a VIN number if required.

I really hope that Tesla lets the people invited to configure tomorrow or Wednesday know whether or not their car will be delivered by December 31, 2017. A delivery timeline of "4 weeks" or "late December" would be fine. A delivery timeline of "4-6 weeks" will drive me nuts from a decision standpoint since this could mean late December or early January. Due to the uncertainty of the federal tax credit, I only want first production if I can take delivery this year.

I think what is pretty much a given : that today and tomorrow are the last opportunities to receive an invite to configure and still be in time for end of year delivery. Should you receive yours later, I just don't see the timeline working. We'd be well into December by then, which is a 'short' month due to the holidays. Tesla must manufacture the car, send it through extensive quality control (and make it pass!) and deliver. 4 weeks probably already optimistic.

There is a guy on reddit (dirtyfries) who did an employee&friends-order 3 weeks ago, that also came with a 4 weeks delivery time. He hasn't received his VIN so far and no word on a possible delivery date either. I know it's a sample of one so you can speculate any which way you want. Is Tesla A) already behind it's own delivery estimate B) not given a VIN beforehand C) on time but just bad in communicating progress D) having a problem passing this exact guy's car through quality control? All very plausible and those reasons aren't even mutually exclusive :)

Last edited:
A week later and no new invitations to configure. There go my dreams of getting my car this year. Now I wait until spring.

We and the Tesla employees are just waking up out west :) The earliest the invites went out Tuesday last week was around 9 am Pacific. Let’s see... @schonelucht’s summary above is spot on; I’d think this is the last couple of days of invites for a 2017 delivery.