Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who configured for early S or X delivery during those previous productions hells, were you promised an estimated timeline for delivery upon configuration that was then missed by a large margin? If you were given a timeline, was it 4 weeks?

I ordered a 60, the 85 orders were built first so there was that delay due to production priorities. My original email September 6, 2012 to configure stated "It's time to finalize your Model S! This is a very exciting next step and we look forward to sharing it with you. In just a few short months, you'll be part of a growing community to experience the fun and exhilaration of Model S. Let's get your car on the road!"

So they were appropriately vague on the number of months (it was 5 which I guess is more like several than a few but whatever) and they definitely did not feel short!!

The next correspondence was December 3rd which said "60 kWh cars will begin production in January 2013. Deliveries will begin in January/early February." This was spot on, my car was built in January and delivered to me February 4.

• Informative
Reactions: UZJedi
The other nice thing in the December 3rd letter was the following statement:

"We will continue to provide regular updates regarding these options as each gets closer to phasing into production. We have not done a great job at all in the past regarding communication on these items. I fully acknowledge our shortfall in this area. We now have a much better understanding of what it will take to bring each of these options into production and will do a much better job of communicating about them going forward. Rest assured we will move as quickly as possible on each item."

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Pkmmte and Shygar
For those who configured for early S or X delivery during those previous productions hells, were you promised an estimated timeline for delivery upon configuration that was then missed by a large margin? If you were given a timeline, was it 4 weeks?

I was an early X buyer. I configured on 1/11/2016 and had my X in early May of 2016.

As I recall - once I was invited to configure things went according to plan. The big wait was getting the invite to configure. There was all kinds of speculation and very little reliable info up until that moment. All of the X’s were built to order so I think the early Model 3 configure to delivery time frame will be much shorter.

Given that no invites went out this week - they must still be dealing with the bottle neck issues.

• Informative
My X is signature #110.

I was asked to order 9/21/15.
12/16 I was asked to pay.
12/28 I was told it finished production.
12/31 I was told there were issues being worked on.
1/11/16 I was told a couple more days
1/13 I got the call to take delivery.

Given that model 3 has been going to employees and family, I bet many are being fixed before and after delivery.

I got the model 3 invite 11/22 and ordered with it saying 4 weeks. I will bet it gets delivered before year end because they will want to report customer deliveries before year end.

Back in the early Model S days, you were able configure cars that were not yet in production (60kw and 40kw) cars. I configured both our 85kw and 40kw Model S's in October 2012, the P85 was delivered in December 2012, and 40kw not until May 2013.

• Informative
Well, with the 2017 delivery window rapidly closing, my preference switches to waiting for the white interior. So I'm gonna toss a guess out there and say that I'll take delivery by [shakes magic 8-ball] March.

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic ;)

Would you be insulted if I said that I'm hoping that the standard battery, non-premium version and white interior are all delayed a few months, just so I can get my car sooner? :D

Would you be insulted if I said that I'm hoping that the standard battery, non-premium version and white interior are all delayed a few months, just so I can get my car sooner? :D
Insulted? No, not at all. But I may use that information and decide to go with the black interior first production configuration just to mess with you. :p

Don't look at it or else you will fall into depression till you get yours....like me. (Made that mistake)
This is true. I kinda regret going to the factory last month to do a tour and perv on model 3s in the parking lot… saw almost every possible wheel/color combo in person and since then the waiting has been muuuuuuuuch harder… and unlike you, I didn't even get to SIT in one, let alone drive one.

This is true. I kinda regret going to the factory last month to do a tour and perv on model 3s in the parking lot… saw almost every possible wheel/color combo in person and since then the waiting has been muuuuuuuuch harder… and unlike you, I didn't even get to SIT in one, let alone drive one.
that being said...what do you think is the best wheel/colour combo in your opinion?

that being said...what do you think is the best wheel/colour combo in your opinion?

I'm profoundly disappointed in Tesla's color choices for the 3, if we're being honest.

Silver is… well, it's silver. It might as well be called "I gave up". No wheel can save it.

White looks the worst in some ways because the ultrasonic sensors and the tow hook cover stand out too much in my opinion, but if you can get past that it's fine. The contrast with the aeros is kinda cool. Sports look "ok" with it.

Blue… so conflicted. In general, blue is my favorite color and what I expected to get my Model 3 in. In bright light, I like the blue. But if it's overcast or not like the middle of the day, I think it's far too dark of a shade of blue. Audi's Ara Blue Crystal is more what I want. That said, I don't like the aero wheels with the blue, so if I were getting blue I'd want to get the Sport wheels from a cosmetic standpoint.

Black: Looks rad when it's clean but there are two problems: 1. Tesla's black isn't a great one, and it wasn't particularly deep or impressive and 2: It's impossible to keep clean and with Tesla's known paint quality issues, I'm not going to subject myself to trying to maintain it. Black looks good with either wheel though.

Red: Looks great with the sport wheels and pretty good with the aeros. This is the best color Tesla offers and looks right at home on the 3 *but* for whatever reason as much as I like it, I can't bring myself to buy a red car. Ever. It's not about brightness, because I'd buy a "LOOK AT ME" orange or green or blue on the Model 3 if they were offered, there's just something about red I can't do.

Midnight silver: I genuinely think it looks better with the aeros. This is what I'm actually getting, but it's not because I want it as much as it's the one I'm least troubled by.

There is only a very limited opportunity for Tesla to save humanity!:)

But why, you ask?

Since only by letting me configure and order my M3 today could we make a 4 week delivery, and since the tax incentive may well disappear January 1, it’s only logical that I be invited today in order to prevent global catastrophe.

Without a tax break, I won’t have those funds to invest. Without that additional $7500, it is within the realm of possibility that a scientist will halt experimentation just prior to a breakthrough that will allow cold fusion to usher in a new age of prosperity and jump start interstellar exploration.

Who should we trust with that $7500? It’s a lot safer in my hands than a DC bureaucrat.

So Tesla-do the right thing today.:cool:

Last edited: