Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you waiting for other options to be available or is there some other reason to wait ?

Not being critical, just curious is all.
I have two reservations -- one was going to be a gift for my mom (and still may be). The other was to replace my 2014 S P85. But I'm on the fence about that. It's just under 4 years old and I still love it. It's a RWD vehicle, like the 3 would be. It doesn't have AP, but otherwise I don't know what I'm gaining by getting the 3 aside from a little more space in the garage and a longer range.

My mom is visiting for Christmas and I'm going to discuss the gift with her. She doesn't live here in California and I'd prefer she have an AWD vehicle, so that will still put me in the defer space.

Also, as I mentioned earlier - I love you all and want you to have your cars sooner. :D I'm already driving two great Teslas, so the pressure isn't as strong.

I have two reservations -- one was going to be a gift for my mom (and still may be). The other was to replace my 2014 S P85. But I'm on the fence about that. It's just under 4 years old and I still love it. It's a RWD vehicle, like the 3 would be. It doesn't have AP, but otherwise I don't know what I'm gaining by getting the 3 aside from a little more space in the garage and a longer range.

My mom is visiting for Christmas and I'm going to discuss the gift with her. She doesn't live here in California and I'd prefer she have an AWD vehicle, so that will still put me in the defer space.

Also, as I mentioned earlier - I love you all and want you to have your cars sooner. :D I'm already driving two great Teslas, so the pressure isn't as strong.
Your mom is very lucky to have a son that would buy her a $50K car. :)

So with the current manufacturing method of building cars and matching to orders later as opposed to build to order, how will someone make sure that a delivery in January 2018 doesn’t have a 2017 VIN?

I’d take a 2017 VIN if offered and I could be sure of delivery for a 2017 tax credit, but a 2017 VIN in 2018 seems like a less valuable proposition.

(I know the arguments about Tesla VIN date not being relevant-but all else equal, what would you pick?)

So with the current manufacturing method of building cars and matching to orders later as opposed to build to order, how will someone make sure that a delivery in January 2018 doesn’t have a 2017 VIN?

I’d take a 2017 VIN if offered and I could be sure of delivery for a 2017 tax credit, but a 2017 VIN in 2018 seems like a less valuable proposition.

(I know the arguments about Tesla VIN date not being relevant-but all else equal, what would you pick?)
It’s an edge case that will matter to a TINY amount of people given how few cars they’ve made to date. I personally wouldn’t care, the only difference is a few dollars in resale value and if resale value was a major concern I wouldn’t be buying a new car.

Reactions: Nevek
What could possibly be more important on 12/24 than documenting your new jewel for us internet acquaintances? Get on it, sir!

Here is a sneak peak...charging at the hotel. Will drive it home (400 miles) in the evening.

Attachments

• 7514C3BD-1EB3-43BF-89D3-F69CDB9CBAF3.jpeg
    7514C3BD-1EB3-43BF-89D3-F69CDB9CBAF3.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 2099C3BC-3623-4D78-A148-7DC3255FC03E.jpeg
    2099C3BC-3623-4D78-A148-7DC3255FC03E.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 116
Great!

I feel a bit of an anticlimax so far, we've been eagerly waiting for months for non-employees to take delivery, not burdened with NDA's. Now that TMC users are taking delivery, we only have two threads so far, one which quickly derailed in a ICE vs Elek discussion.

Maybe everything that can be said about the model 3 has already been said and we have to acknowledge it's still 'just' a car in the end which won't be driving us back to the future at 88 miles per hour, but still.. Would be nice to hear more stories from the new proud owners.

Reactions: NAT3 and VT_EE
Congrats! That’s a super quick turnaround after config. What’s your config btw?

Haven’t had a DS call or a VIN after my 12/14 config confirmation so, decided to call Tesla earlier today - option 3 for the 3 :) - and talked to a rep who did see a DS assigned (Elizabeth wasn’t-told-the-last-name); the rep confirmed that she was in at work and emailed + IM-ed her to call me back. Nothing so far.
Congrats! That’s a super quick turnaround after config. What’s your config btw?

Haven’t had a DS call or a VIN after my 12/14 config confirmation so, decided to call Tesla earlier today - option 3 for the 3 :) - and talked to a rep who did see a DS assigned (Elizabeth wasn’t-told-the-last-name); the rep confirmed that she was in at work and emailed + IM-ed her to call me back. Nothing so far.

Picked up the new baby yesterday! Black with grey 17s.

BTW, for anyone picking up from Fremont, my DS gave me the wrong address. The original address provided was 45500 Fremont Blvd-- the address for the Fremont factory (which is where I picked up my Model S three years ago), but Fremont deliveries are now all being handled out of the 'delivery center' a mile and a half away from the factory at 47623 Fremont Blvd

Picked up the new baby yesterday! Black with grey 17s.

BTW, for anyone picking up from Fremont, my DS gave me the wrong address. The original address provided was 45500 Fremont Blvd-- the address for the Fremont factory (which is where I picked up my Model S three years ago), but Fremont deliveries are now all being handled out of the 'delivery center' a mile and a half away from the factory at 47623 Fremont Blvd

Congrats! and thank you for the info. The more 3s they get to the current Tesla owners, us non-owners can't be far behind!
Could I bother you for a vin number and also any other customers picking up while you were there?
Happy holidays~

Great!

I feel a bit of an anticlimax so far, we've been eagerly waiting for months for non-employees to take delivery, not burdened with NDA's. Now that TMC users are taking delivery, we only have two threads so far, one which quickly derailed in a ICE vs Elek discussion.

Maybe everything that can be said about the model 3 has already been said and we have to acknowledge it's still 'just' a car in the end which won't be driving us back to the future at 88 miles per hour, but still.. Would be nice to hear more stories from the new proud owners.

I think it’s partly that there’s not much left to be said, but also anyone getting a 3 right now has already owned a tesla, so there’s not quite as much euphoria. :). I’m looking forward to picking up my car on Wednesday, but almost five years of driving electric gives me a pretty good idea of what to expect.

• Love
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
I had the same problem. I tried to contact the owner but have not received a reply.
Thought that sheet was very useful for those of us who are still not so patiently waiting.
I can setup another sheet but want to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's toes.
I'll let you know of his reply.

CJ
Just curious if you heard back from the original creator of the spreadsheet.

My guess is 1 of 2 things happened:
1. The owner of the file restricted access to prevent some bozos from screwing up the file
2. Tesla and/or this site required it to be removed for some reason

I saved a local copy to my PC, so if needed I can start a new Google Doc and pick up where this one left off.
Also, waiting to see if I can get access to the original.

Still waiting on your review :D

BTW ...didn't find it answered anywhere else, can you confirm if PUP includes heated steering wheel?

No heated steering wheel...and no control for the rear heated seats yet

I have the following video reviews in the works on my channel so be sure to look out for those:

1) Build Quality
- Panel Alignment
- Panel Gaps
- Door Seals
- Rattles
2) Interior/Exterior Walk Through
3) Dashcam Install
4) Sunshade
5) Model 3 Touchscreen VS X/S
6) The Problem with Phone Key

I also want to do a QA so throw some questions at me and I will get them answered:
1) Does fastrack work?

I am gonna try to get a few of these finished today...please let me know what else you want to see