Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to admit I am a little concerned about hearing that people who ordered online are getting their invites before people like me who waited in line all night (yes I am a current owner) and ordered in store. I was the first current owner at my store in STL to reserve.
I was under the impression that people who ordered on site (and site unseen) would be getting priority.
Don't get me wrong I am happy people outside of Cali are getting invites, this is a great sign, just not sure that Tesla's process for inviting users to build is working as designed.

It seems that California owners that reserved *after 3/31* are getting invites at the same time as owners in the rest of the lower 48 that waited in line on 3/31. The rollout may not be perfectly sequenced, but this seems consistent with Tesla's stated delivery priorities which prefers owners and California residents.

I'd bet on you getting an invite within the next week. You might even check your Tesla account to see if you can already configure and just haven't been emailed yet. That's happened to several people. Either way, hope you get to configure soon.

I have to admit I am a little concerned about hearing that people who ordered online are getting their invites before people like me who waited in line all night (yes I am a current owner) and ordered in store. I was the first current owner at my store in STL to reserve.
I was under the impression that people who ordered on site (and site unseen) would be getting priority.
Don't get me wrong I am happy people outside of Cali are getting invites, this is a great sign, just not sure that Tesla's process for inviting users to build is working as designed.

My guess is that these invites are part of planned delivery batching. In other words, I don't think they're just flat-out opening up by reservation time to the rest of the US. They may be saying, for example, that they have an outsized owner presence in <metro area X> along with a delivery and service footprint that can handle receiving a bunch of 3s in the near future, so they open up that market. It doesn't seem to me that they'd move to one-offs until they are efficiently delivering where they have some scale.

Total random guess, could be 100% wrong, etc.

It is odd. In California generally the line waiters got invitations before online reservers.

I'm not sure if I'm _the_ first owner in line in the SLC store, but probably in the first 5-10 (~50th in line iirc), and I haven't gotten my invitation yet either. Hopefully they just haven't gotten to our states yet, or it's like the CA invitations where it was seemingly random the actual order of invitations as long as you met first-day, current owner qualifications (remember @K-MTG's constant posts in this thread about 3 weeks ago?!).

Yea...I magically got my 3 within 10 days of ordering...or else I had a 4 week estimate

It seems that California owners that reserved *after 3/31* are getting invites at the same time as owners in the rest of the lower 48 that waited in line on 3/31. The rollout may not be perfectly sequenced, but this seems consistent with Tesla's stated delivery priorities which prefers owners and California residents.

I'd bet on you getting an invite within the next week. You might even check your Tesla account to see if you can already configure and just haven't been emailed yet. That's happened to several people. Either way, hope you get to configure soon.
Yeah I get that it seems a little bit random just getting antsy :). And I definitely have checked my account numerous times today. IT seems like they might not have invited anyone from Missouri yet. We will see. Again I am just happy invites are going out around the country and that my invite will be coming in due time.

Reactions: xhawk101 and UZJedi

They may have reached capacity at CA delivery centers as production grew and need other SC to start deliveries to keep up with production pace.

Well I know after we ordered our MS at end of December, we followed the delivery spreadsheet and pretty much as people said would happen, overseas and east coast seemed to get their orders delivered in first part of quarter (furtherest to arrange delivery to--no overseas Model 3 being built right now), and then middle of country seemed prioritize next, then working back to California residents at end of quarter which made sense as it was the easy and quickest delivery distance for them (picked up in person at factory or short transport elsewhere in the State) in order to get the cars in the hands of owners and be counted for sales that quarter. There would be occasional exceptions but for the most part seemed to follow this pattern.

On the Model 3 we saw California deliveries in December 2017 and now that we're 2018 Q1, looks like vast majority of invites are eastward, kind of following that established pattern with the MS deliveries.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rusty1
I have a very early P85 Model S and a second 90D purchased a few days after the Model 3 reveal. I made my two Model 3 reservations at a kiosk at the reveal because my flight to LA for that event made waiting in line in Rocklin impossible. Got my invite to configure both Model 3s on December 15, 2017. Holidays and sickness slowed down my progress for a couple of weeks. Today I configured the first one. A decision on how and when to configure the second will depend on how well we like the one I ordered today and also on when a light interior and AWD are available. Today, I ordered red first production, 18 inch wheels (because my experience with the 19s on both Model S has been good), and enhanced autopilot. Estimate is 4 weeks for delivery. I'd love it if it were sooner.

Reactions: SMAlset and UZJedi
WA State, owner, reserved 2 at store 3/31/16. Just got invite to order both for 4 week delivery, ordering one and defering the other.

Wife is looking forward to getting rid of the rental car that is tiding her over!
My VIN # 36xx was assigned today. It appears to be one of the ones originally logged as a 2017 (code H) but updated to a 2018 (code J), according to another thread about VIN ranges registered.

One day turnaround from configuring on 1/04/18 and getting a VIN today is very promising for a January delivery!

Hmmm...Former Model S owner. Current Model X owner. Reserved online on 3/31
(Did it from a Southwest flight minutes after the site opened up). AZ resident. No invite yet. Hopefully soon. My Leaf has lost its 3rd bar and is struggling to get 60 miles with the colder morning weather.
As we should have known, all of the fancy spreadsheets estimating configuration dates were a joke. I'm also an Arizonan and an owner, but stood in line so I should be a little ahead of you. I haven't received an invitation either.

However, now that tax credit is safe I'm delighted to let others beta test before I order. Luckily I don't have a dying Leaf!

My VIN # 36xx was assigned today. It appears to be one of the ones originally logged as a 2017 (code H) but updated to a 2018 (code J), according to another thread about VIN ranges registered.

One day turnaround from configuring on 1/04/18 and getting a VIN today is very promising for a January delivery!

I had delivery 4 days after receiving my VIN...so it’s possible

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and Nevek
Hmmm...Former Model S owner. Current Model X owner. Reserved online on 3/31
(Did it from a Southwest flight minutes after the site opened up). AZ resident. No invite yet. Hopefully soon. My Leaf has lost its 3rd bar and is struggling to get 60 miles with the colder morning weather.

As we should have known, all of the fancy spreadsheets estimating configuration dates were a joke. I'm also an Arizonan and an owner, but stood in line so I should be a little ahead of you. I haven't received an invitation either.

However, now that tax credit is safe I'm delighted to let others beta test before I order. Luckily I don't have a dying Leaf!

Did they just skip AZ invites this round? How are people on the east coast getting them first? Would have thought we would be next after CA invites.

Did they just skip AZ invites this round? How are people on the east coast getting them first? Would have thought we would be next after CA invites.

My guess is that these invites are part of planned delivery batching. In other words, I don't think they're just flat-out opening up by reservation time to the rest of the US. They may be saying, for example, that they have an outsized owner presence in <metro area X> along with a delivery and service footprint that can handle receiving a bunch of 3s in the near future, so they open up that market. It doesn't seem to me that they'd move to one-offs until they are efficiently delivering where they have some scale.

Total random guess, could be 100% wrong, etc.

From the evidence it appears the order has been:
#1: California existing owners with in store first day reservations.
#2: California existing owners with online first day reservations.
#3: Existing owners from anywhere in the country with in store or online reservations from the first or second day randomly sorted.

They're still in the middle of going though the priority 3 list. ;)

(It's probably really something along the lines of what Zaxxon suggested. Tesla is more concerned about delivering cars as fast as possible than sticking to an exact reservation order. Good luck ever figuring out the logic behind the ordering, though.)

Reactions: UZJedi
Understood, but we now have 2 Svc Centers here in PHX-metro. And there are likely a higher concentration of owners here than in other non-CA states where invites have gone. Heck, they just opened up a 16-stall supercharger in the middle of Scottsdale (at a local high-profile outdoor mall). And weather-wise, shipping cars here will be EASY compared to other areas that will likely be dealing with artic air, snow bombs, and such.

The only thing I can think that could be a negative is that AZ still doesn’t allow direct sales. But then that hasn’t stopped previous sales at all, and in some ways should be easier. E.g. payment is made electronically in full prior to shipping, and all the paperwork is handled online/electronically.

I’d be fine with being patient. But this Leaf is becoming unusable quickly!

• Informative
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Understood, but we now have 2 Svc Centers here in PHX-metro. And there are likely a higher concentration of owners here than in other non-CA states where invites have gone. Heck, they just opened up a 16-stall supercharger in the middle of Scottsdale (at a local high-profile outdoor mall). And weather-wise, shipping cars here will be EASY compared to other areas that will likely be dealing with artic air, snow bombs, and such.

The only thing I can think that could be a negative is that AZ still doesn’t allow direct sales. But then that hasn’t stopped previous sales at all, and in some ways should be easier. E.g. payment is made electronically in full prior to shipping, and all the paperwork is handled online/electronically.

I’d be fine with being patient. But this Leaf is becoming unusable quickly!

Although with Phoenix being quickly and easily reachable from California, that might lump you with California in saving for the end of the quarter when they need quicker deliveries.

I have a 2001 Avalon that we can't see putting in any more money into and holding out hope my invite and delivery arrive before something else goes wrong. Spent too many $$s on getting the AC fixed last January only to have it have problems over the summer. Seemed like it was always in the shop more days than not. I'm still not 100% set on the Model 3 color so don't mind waiting at all. Figure the more cars that get made before mine, more bugs will get worked out too and further along the software will be. If it weren't for the age of my car I would probably wait for the AWD.