Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Configure is not the only part - you need to get a VIN and a delivery estimate. I configured on 17th, still no VIN assignment. I suspect they had more people confirm once they moved beyond California. How long did you guys wait until you got your VIN?
Configured Jan 5th....got my VIN yesterday - about 3 weeks.

When I talked to my DS (who is nails) there may have been a delay in issuing my VIN because there was no delivery location....because I'm in Michigan....the Tesla wasteland.

Configured Jan 5th....got my VIN yesterday - about 3 weeks.

When I talked to my DS (who is nails) there may have been a delay in issuing my VIN because there was no delivery location....because I'm in Michigan....the Tesla wasteland.
This is what I'm concerned about. Maybe they can slip mine in with a load of MS/MXs on their way to Toronto or NYC. Is yours getting delivered to your home?

You're going to be a superstar once you get your 3. I bet you still get a lot of attention for your S, to think of it.
was standing next to it today on a call and had two different people stop in the middle of the road, roll down their window and tell me how much they liked my car. Still a unicorn here - see 2-3 Model S's a month. Saw my first Model X in W. Michigan 4 months ago.

Can't wait for people to get a look at a Red 3.

Well, this was a little unexpected. I logged in and I'm able to configure.

I'm an oddball case. Former Model S owner. Placed reservation in Sept 2016. When I placed my reservation, I lived in CA. Sold Model S around April 2017. I have since moved to NY. I updated my address when I moved, around July 2017.

So it appears as if it is treating me as a former owner. I expected, at best, to be the last owner to configure. At worst, I thought I'd see my time slip to the non-owner, late reservation pool.

Last edited:
I really thought those of use that waited in-line overnight would be invited before Owners that didn't, April 11 Yikes! Are they going to satisfy ALL Tesla owners before they let ANY of us non-owners go? My expected delivery shows Dec. - Feb. but with 4 week delivery they are gonna have to invite me this week, or change my expected delivery after the fact, ugh!

-Randy

I really thought those of use that waited in-line overnight would be invited before Owners that didn't, April 11 Yikes! Are they going to satisfy ALL Tesla owners before they let ANY of us non-owners go? My expected delivery shows Dec. - Feb. but with 4 week delivery they are gonna have to invite me this week, or change my expected delivery after the fact, ugh!
-Randy

Apparently Tesla had emailed owners to tell them that they would get priority on a Model 3 if they reserved one well after us line waiters had already paid our dues back then.
Us non-owners are also getting told that we suffer from "wishful thinking" if we thought we would get a Model 3 before existing owners get theirs.

Maybe it was wishful thinking, but when I read the priority plan before getting in line, it seemed a bit unclear exactly how it would work.
The main factor (at the time) seemed to be date you placed your reservation. We knew that employees had been invited to reserve weeks before the stores allowed general public to get in line.
So, I assumed the employee priority was based on their earlier order date. But I guess that too was just being an employee (or friend/family of employee) even if they reserved much later.
Tesla also said that priority would be done by region. So it wasn't clear to me if being near the factory would give me priority over an owner line-waiter who was on the east coast (for instance.)
It has now become clear that east coast "owners" still get priority over west coast line-waiters even if the owner ordered much later, and the non-owner was a west coast line-waiter.
So, I have come to realize that employee/owner priority is more important than date or region priority.

Something else is that it appears that owners of one Tesla have been invited to order 2 model 3s. That also seems contrary to original suggestions that they would get one priority order for each Tesla they owned.
Either picking up the first model 3 has now made them a "2 Tesla" owner and so they immediately qualify for priority on a 2nd model 3, or they changed the rules to make any ownership give you priority on 2 model 3s.

I am not sure if the rules are changing, or we just didn't understand the rules. Like with the interior materials changes, we don't really have any say in what they do. All I can do is cross my fingers and hope.

-Randy
Probably and no reason to be surprised.

Tweeted in April 2016 which couldn't have been a clearer message from Elon that owners get priority.
Not sure why so many seem to be surprised over what is happening.

View attachment 275804

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
While I certainly appreciate the contributions of employees and current owners, I also believe that Tesla should continue to all that they can to advance "sustainable energy & transportation". Those things said, I see the delivery of Model 3s as a cornerstone event in the shift to electric vehicles. The current owners continue as amazing examples to all they encounter........................imagine the impact of the hundreds of thousands of new converts.

Elon......All due diligence, at "Ludicrous Speed"

Disclosure: Non-Owner holding a reservation

Perhaps Tesla did originally intend to go by a region based invite schedule two years ago when the Model 3 was first announced. My theory is that back then they thought their delivery capacity in CA would have been more robust than it turned out to be at this point. They still have to make improvements in all regions in order to be able to deliver cars at a fast enough rate once they’ve reached 5000+ a week in production. I believe that their delivery capacity will become their new bottleneck at some point. When they do open up invites to non-owners I am almost certain that it will be to the entire US and not limited to CA or the West coast. They simply do not have the capability to deliver cars that quickly in their CA delivery centers only. They will need to utilize all delivery channels they have available like they are doing now with the owner invites. If you look at the Model 3 delivery FAQ it doesn’t even make any mention of region, only the date and time of when you placed your reservation and that existing owners will receive priority.

Then again this may all just be wishful thinking on my part. I just want my freakin invite already :)

I really thought those of use that waited in-line overnight would be invited before Owners that didn't, April 11 Yikes! Are they going to satisfy ALL Tesla owners before they let ANY of us non-owners go?

Absolutely. Elon never said owners before April 1. Instead, he always said that if you purchase a S/X and become an owner, you jump the line of non-owners.

Absolutely. Elon never said owners before April 1. Instead, he always said that if you purchase a S/X and become an owner, you jump the line of non-owners.

He never said those words. He said owners would receive priority over non-owners. That could mean as a whole, or it could mean within certain time windows.

That said... I believe it is becoming apparent that all owners will go first. It just wasn't ever completely clear if that was the case.

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3
^^While perhaps not the exact words, that is exactly what he meant. Open the attachment in post #1432.

That tweet asks what happens if you purchase an S or X today. It says nothing about when the actual reservation was placed. Yes... if someone reserved on day one and then purchased an S in 2018, Elon's reply makes it clear that that person moves ahead in the line. But what if someone has owned a Model S since 2012, but waits until today to reserve a Model 3? It isn't clear from that exchange what happens in that case.

^^While perhaps not the exact words, that is exactly what he meant. Open the attachment in post #1432.

Except this is what Tesla's website said back on March 21, 2016, before the reveal, and it still says it:

There are two ways to make a reservation. The first, which will allow you to get a better spot in the queue, is to visit your local Tesla store when it opens on March 31st. Find your closest Tesla storehere. The second is to make a reservation online at Tesla.com] when the live unveil starts at 8:30pm PT.
In order to be as fair as possible, there will be a different queue for each region. And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region.

Reserving your Model 3

"Current" and "existing" by definition do not include "future".

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Everyone pls. relax a little - all buyers in the US are pretty lucky if you look at us poor Europeans - and then we don't even mention RHD in the UK (or those in Australia) yet.

I do believe that we will be in a situation where pretty much everyone can get a car soon: the current configuration options is very smart to limit the buyer pool while maximising margins (no SR, non PUP on the low end of the market, no AWD/Performance version on the high end market, no white interior for those folks...).

It has only been a few weeks since this whole circus started in earnest and I believe the wait will be over sooner than many believe. In fact, I'm pretty amazed what kinds of people are already allowed to configure. Again, let's take it easy. Good things (a Model 3!) will come to those who wait :)