Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner equal rich?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now you say they followed you home????? So you were at the gym in question and they followed you?
No, I am betting they saw your car in your driveway and thought it was the one they saw at their gym.

My son’s school is next to the gym. We drive by there, same parking structure for pickup and drop off. The rec center and the school share the parking lot.

I never park in the drive way. I park in a garage and our garage are always closed.

My son’s school is next to the gym. We drive by there, same parking structure for pickup and drop off. The rec center and the school share the parking lot.

I never park in the drive way. I park in a garage and our garage are always closed.

Time to write a rebuttal and Martin Luther-style post it to their front door

“To whomever left an anonymous letter in my mailbox:

I am not the Secret Perpetrator using your gym for free. If someone else with a Tesla is using your gym for free, that’s very poor of them, although they do have impeccable taste in vehicles.

Please note that I don’t use the gym here and don’t appreciate someone following me home to leave their false accusations. Security cameras have been installed to prevent any misunderstandings.”

I am not the Secret Perpetrator using your gym for free. If someone else with a Tesla is using your gym for free, that’s very poor of them, although they do have impeccable taste in vehicles.

Please note that I don’t use the gym here and don’t appreciate someone following me home to leave their false accusations. Security cameras have been installed to prevent any misunderstandings.”

I agree, OP definitely needs to do something like this and post any results that come from it. I'd probably take it a bit further and ask that the anonymous accuser sends me an anonymous apology, maybe even throw in that I'm working with the police on possible harassment and misuse of a postal/mailbox charges also. I'd really put some stank on this and crank up the public shaming, make sure the letter is right there at the entrance of the rec center for all to see.

Thats a pretty presumptuous letter. I'd take it to the Rec center and hang it up with "wrong Tesla" written across it.

Exactly this, make a copy and bring it to rec centre, with your own response letter attached. Not all Tesla drivers look the same, are you EVist?

To really freak them out, make 1000s of copies and drop them off in every mailbox in your neighbourhood. Sure, 99,999 people will think you are nuts, but 1 person will think “how the frick did he find me?!” AND that you are nuts ;)

The note is about you not paying your dues and that's what they are upset about.... Your perseverance about the car is not doing you any good - pay the dues... And your English level isn't at the level where you should be criticizing others
Dude, not cool. Did you actually read the thread to the point of your post? You've misunderstood it completely.

Don't give us San Diegans...San Diegoans....San Dieagons, a bad name. Stay Classy.

Reactions: Eugene Ash

I like this idea.

Go anywhere today and if they find out you own a Tesla, the price just went up, for example, I walked into a Audio store asking about a Subwoofer & Amp, told him it would need to be all in one and low profile as it needed to go in the back of the car... he was looking out the window and assumed I drove up in a Crv or a Honda Civic and showed me this sub, he quoted me $500.00 he also told me this is the Sub that they install in BMW’s, when I told him do they have experience with Tesla’s he changed his tune immediately and told me I shouldn’t install this sub, I told him but wait that was the GOTO subs for the “BMW’s” now that sub isn’t good enough?? He then added well the install price is $700.00 and I said wait you said $500.00 and agreed to the $500.00, I told him see ya! Found the same sub for 259.00 online.

The speaker upgrade package that this other shows on YouTube is $6500.00 and takes 5 days to install LoL, I guess they work 15 minutes per day. So when it comes to Tesla, do your research and go elsewhere.

Fred
I get this all the time with the old Mercedes I drive. I used to own an old Subaru too and the difference is both funny and sad. Go someplace in the Subaru and nobody notices you, your just a regular guy. In the Mercedes everyone is looking. Try to buy something in the Subaru everyone gives you the normal price and treatment. In the Mercedes I go to get my tires rotated and they try to up sell me new tires because my current ones are “almost bald” even though they are fine. When I call for mechanical quotes it’s always ridiculous, and not just because parts come from another country, I think people just assume you can afford to be charged more and don’t care or notice. They just assume the Mercedes is worth a lot, even though it’s actually worth less than the Subaru. My Dad once told me assumptions make a&@ out of U and ME and it often rings very true. You can now buy a new Tesla for less than some new Subarus, doubt many people would assume that.

I'm nearly two years into a three business lease of a 75D Model S. And this has been a huge problem. The level of attention I immediately received was insane. I went from a Subaru to the Model S and everyone I worked with assumed I was either ripping them off or or charging too much. I was constantly being called "Mr. Tesla" or "Rich." This became such a problem that I had to stop driving to meetings with prospective/new clients. I now lyft to all meetings and my business leased car is never used for business. The moment Tesla released the Model S in 2012, I knew I wanted one. I worked my ass off and sacrificed a lot of other activities and purchases. I live in a modest townhouse and don't really own any other luxury items. My one "nice" thing is the Model S. So this assumption really effing sucks.

I get this all the time with the old Mercedes I drive. I used to own an old Subaru too and the difference is both funny and sad. Go someplace in the Subaru and nobody notices you, your just a regular guy. In the Mercedes everyone is looking. Try to buy something in the Subaru everyone gives you the normal price and treatment. In the Mercedes I go to get my tires rotated and they try to up sell me new tires because my current ones are “almost bald” even though they are fine. When I call for mechanical quotes it’s always ridiculous, and not just because parts come from another country, I think people just assume you can afford to be charged more and don’t care or notice. They just assume the Mercedes is worth a lot, even though it’s actually worth less than the Subaru. My Dad once told me assumptions make a&@ out of U and ME and it often rings very true. You can now buy a new Tesla for less than some new Subarus, doubt many people would assume that.

Spot on! Even with the upgrades, my Model 3 LR AWD cost less than the Buick parked next to it in the driveway .... but nobody says boo about that. It's kinda ridiculous - even my WIFE - who obviously knows the numbers - calls me spoiled for driving the Model 3. I have to remind her that the Enclave cost us more to buy, more to maintain, more to fuel, more for everything. Tires, more. Brakes, more. Everything, more expensive.

When I run the numbers and show people that a Model 3 can cost less than a Nissan Altima or Honda Accord, their minds tend to explode.

But, as the saying goes, perception is reality. I'm the spoiled guy because I have a Tesla in the driveway. Nevermind that I could buy 3 of them for the cost of the Range Rover across the street, or the Escalade down the block.

Attended a presentation recently by Byron Washom, Director of Strategic Energy Initiatives at UC San Diego. I was surprised to hear him mention that "Teslas are awful for public policy." I enquired further at the end of his talk. He said that the public perception is that Teslas are owned by rich white guys on the coasts. A Hawaiian utility apparently put the kibosh on a Tesla energy storage solution for that reason. All of his charts and graphs showing statistics for electric

After reading everyone's response and comment on this thread. Here's my take and assumptions on what people perceive why Tesla owners are rich.

• Most Tesla cost range that have been "marketing" or thrown around by word of mouth (From owners and non-owners) anywhere form $40,000-$100,000
• This has been a stigma before the "Model 3" since most Model S/X cost anywhere from $60,000 and up which would imply that most owners who own a Tesla were somewhere near being rich to afford them
• Teslas are a luxury brand car and currently really limited in a lot of areas so this meant if you owned a Tesla if was expensive to purchase since this wasn't a normal "luxury" car you see around daily such as other luxury brands like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus.

Back when I first got my 3 and people I know asked about it, I'd explain that my previous car, an '11 Challenger R/T and its $500 per month payment, plus gasoline cost of $200-$250 per month, was actually a little bit more expensive per month than my 3 payment plus electricity.

My Model 3 replaced a Cadillac - the Caddy was quite a bit more expensive, but I sure catch a lot more flak for the Model 3. :)

After reading everyone's response and comment on this thread. Here's my take and assumptions on what people perceive why Tesla owners are rich.

• Most Tesla cost range that have been "marketing" or thrown around by word of mouth (From owners and non-owners) anywhere form $40,000-$100,000
• This has been a stigma before the "Model 3" since most Model S/X cost anywhere from $60,000 and up which would imply that most owners who own a Tesla were somewhere near being rich to afford them
• Teslas are a luxury brand car and currently really limited in a lot of areas so this meant if you owned a Tesla if was expensive to purchase since this wasn't a normal "luxury" car you see around daily such as other luxury brands like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus.

You could have substituted any premium brand for Tesla. If you own a new, premium brand car, people are going to assume that you have money to spare. But if it were an Audi or BMW, they'd probably not have bothered.

I make less than $50k a year and drive a Model 3. I saved up for 2 years for it so as to minimize my loan payment.

Yesterday some guy asking for money outside of a Wal-Mart saw me get out of my car and immediately hit me up telling "Hey, help me out? You got ALLL the money!" No. I definitely do not have "all the money".

First off I don’t even go to this rec center. I received this in my mail box today with no return address. Do people assume Tesla are rich owners? What about BMW or Mercedes or Audi’s?

There are a few Tesla model 3 in my area and they just assume. I drive by this place cause it’s next to my son school. I go to other fitness center.

View attachment 409136

No door cam pointed at the mailbox to see who did it?