Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owner near SE Michigan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know of a Tesla owner near the Detroit area? My company is working with Tesla on becoming an OEM antenna supplier. The Board of Directors from Germany is coming to the Detroit Area and would like to see a Tesla Roadster. We are willing to compensate the owner for his time. For further details, please contact:

Ruth Clem
Hirschmann Car Communication
(248) 373-7150
[email protected]

We would be willing to transport a vehicle by enclosed carrier, at our expense, if you live in a nearby state. Hotel accommodations for the Owner are possible.

Last edited:
Project Moving Ahead

Just a quick update - So far we've had 3 responses from Roadster owners in the Michigan area. What a great group of Gentlemen! Clearly this is a group well educated about their vehicles and truly proud of what they stand for. I'm pretty excited about this event and we are looking at "Track Insurance" since we will be driving on a closed course (typical road conditions - no racing).

We may be hosting a multi-owner dinner if all our plans work out:smile:

I hope to have another update soon.

Any suggestions on what would be good to include in a gift bag for the Owners and Board members?

Funny to see the world is a global village. I worked for Hirschmann some 15 years ago in Neckartenzlingen and Metzingen Germany. Never thought I would come across them in a Tesla forum ...

So I see they're still into car antennas. So only the owners have changed a dozen of times since I left. ;)

By the way, The 2008 and 2010 Roadsters were build without external antennas.

I have never been in a car with worse radio reception. Spotty FM and non-existent AM.

If anyone involved with this event can find an aftermarket solution we can add to existing cars (exterior, inside dash, under hood, whatever, it would be much appreciated. :smile:

Last edited:
By the way, The 2009 and 2010 Roadsters were build without external antennas.

I have never been in a car with worse radio reception. Spotty FM and non-existent AM.

If anyone involved with this event can find an aftermarket solution we can add to existing cars (exterior, inside dash, under hood, whatever, it would be much appreciated. :smile:

I mentioned a related problem to Tesla: the reception for the key fob also sucks. They told me that the problem was that part of the way internal antennas work is that they rely on the car body, which doesn't work with carbon fiber the way it does with aluminum. They said that they would come up with a fix for the next model year.

I don't have huge problems with FM, but AM is pretty much unusable. I didn't mind so much until baseball season started. On the other hand, the Mariners are awful once again, so I'm not missing much. :frown:

Hirschmann still going strong

Funny to see the world is a global village. I worked for Hirschmann some 15 years ago in Neckartenzlingen and Metzingen Germany. Never thought I would come across them in a Tesla forum ...

So I see they're still into car antennas. So only the owners have changed a dozen of times since I left. ;)

You're right - the world is a global village! Good to hear from a Hirschman allumnus. We've done some strategic splits and now the "Car Communication" part of Hirschamnn deals all types of antennas - radio, cell, gps, satellite and combos. Our office in the US has just started some exciting developments in the satellite antenna arena and we see a huge market for them. We are definitely on the move:biggrin:

Last edited:
Reception / Antenna Problems

Hi All,

Checking in later than I expected...I was interested to hear of the reception problems with current Roadster models and brought this up to our team. It turns out that Tesla is aware of this situation and Hirschmann is currently working on alternative ideas.

One of the gentlemen here suggested that an aftermarket on-glass antenna may help with your reception. These antennas are usually unobtrusive and require no holes to be drilled in your vehicle. We have a model called the AUTA 60 EL that would serve this purpose. Here is the link to a catalog page so you can look at it.http://products.hirschmann-car.com/SepiaPIMWeb/ProductCatalog?treepath=2_362_406_407

Hope this is helpful!

Last edited:
Hi All,

Checking in later than I expected...I was interested to hear of the reception problems with current Roadster models and brought this up to our team. ... We have a model called the AUTA 60 EL that would serve this purpose. Here is the link to a catalog page so you can look at it.http://products.hirschmann-car.com/SepiaPIMWeb/ProductCatalog?treepath=2_362_406_407

Looks intriguing. If you send me one of these antenna I will install it in my Roadster and give a complete report here.