TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Owner near SE Michigan

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by RClem, May 8, 2010.

1. RClem

RClem Member

#1 RClem, May 8, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
    Anyone know of a Tesla owner near the Detroit area? My company is working with Tesla on becoming an OEM antenna supplier. The Board of Directors from Germany is coming to the Detroit Area and would like to see a Tesla Roadster. We are willing to compensate the owner for his time. For further details, please contact:

Ruth Clem
    Hirschmann Car Communication
    (248) 373-7150
    [email protected]

We would be willing to transport a vehicle by enclosed carrier, at our expense, if you live in a nearby state. Hotel accommodations for the Owner are possible.

2. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

That's cool and good luck on securing that spot with Tesla Motors.

3. DrTaras

DrTaras R254->R725->S1364-->X769

just sent a direct e-mail to the one i know & hope he responds

4. RClem

RClem Member

Thanks so much for the helping hand - it is greatly appreciated! I'll try to keep everyone posted on our progress.

5. RClem

RClem Member

Project Moving Ahead

Just a quick update - So far we've had 3 responses from Roadster owners in the Michigan area. What a great group of Gentlemen! Clearly this is a group well educated about their vehicles and truly proud of what they stand for. I'm pretty excited about this event and we are looking at "Track Insurance" since we will be driving on a closed course (typical road conditions - no racing).

We may be hosting a multi-owner dinner if all our plans work out:smile:

I hope to have another update soon.

Any suggestions on what would be good to include in a gift bag for the Owners and Board members?

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#7 vfx, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
    By the way, The 2008 and 2010 Roadsters were build without external antennas.

I have never been in a car with worse radio reception. Spotty FM and non-existent AM.

If anyone involved with this event can find an aftermarket solution we can add to existing cars (exterior, inside dash, under hood, whatever, it would be much appreciated. :smile:

7. bolosky

bolosky Member

I mentioned a related problem to Tesla: the reception for the key fob also sucks. They told me that the problem was that part of the way internal antennas work is that they rely on the car body, which doesn't work with carbon fiber the way it does with aluminum. They said that they would come up with a fix for the next model year.

I don't have huge problems with FM, but AM is pretty much unusable. I didn't mind so much until baseball season started. On the other hand, the Mariners are awful once again, so I'm not missing much. :frown:

8. RClem

RClem Member

#9 RClem, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
    Hirschmann still going strong

You're right - the world is a global village! Good to hear from a Hirschman allumnus. We've done some strategic splits and now the "Car Communication" part of Hirschamnn deals all types of antennas - radio, cell, gps, satellite and combos. Our office in the US has just started some exciting developments in the satellite antenna arena and we see a huge market for them. We are definitely on the move:biggrin:

9. RClem

RClem Member

#10 RClem, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
    Reception / Antenna Problems

Hi All,

Checking in later than I expected...I was interested to hear of the reception problems with current Roadster models and brought this up to our team. It turns out that Tesla is aware of this situation and Hirschmann is currently working on alternative ideas.

One of the gentlemen here suggested that an aftermarket on-glass antenna may help with your reception. These antennas are usually unobtrusive and require no holes to be drilled in your vehicle. We have a model called the AUTA 60 EL that would serve this purpose. Here is the link to a catalog page so you can look at it.http://products.hirschmann-car.com/SepiaPIMWeb/ProductCatalog?treepath=2_362_406_407

Hope this is helpful!

10. RClem

RClem Member

Event was a great success!:smile: See post SE Michigan Track Event for pics.

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Looks intriguing. If you send me one of these antenna I will install it in my Roadster and give a complete report here.

12. DrTaras

DrTaras R254->R725->S1364-->X769

What is a "2009 Roadster?":confused: