Vancouver must have a top-of-the-line police department to have been able to do this. In a lot of places, if you called the police and told them you were tracking your stolen car, you will have one of the following outcomes:
- they wouldn't believe you.
- the closest officer who can respond is 45 minutes away, even if running lights & siren (and they won't do that for a simple vehicle theft).
- the police will engage the vehicle in a high speed pursuit, which results in the car being totaled.
- stolen vehicles are not considered a high priority. File a report, and we'll get back to you.
- the car will be driven to an underground location where tracking doesn't work, followed by being chopped.
So, the result in Vancouver represents the best possible outcome. Moral: don't leave a fob in the car!