Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners Can Edit Maps to Improve Summon Routes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, there's no way they are trusting one person's changes. It's probably just a coincidence that the OP's maps updated after he made changes on OSM. Correlation doesn't imply causation.

According to OP, updating OSM updates the smart summon routing almost instantly. Tesla is probably doing the routing on their servers using OSM data, or pulling OSM map data to the phone/car, and not relying on Nav map data as is the case with AP.

I'm struggling, can someone do a "for dummies" step by step of how to add the parking aisles please. Be as basic as possible...

Create account. Log in with your account. Find the parking lot you want to edit. Click edit. Click line. Click where you want the parking aisle to start, click along the path of the parking aisle (it will create line segments, in the simplest case you click once at each end of the aisle), when done click on the beginning or end point to complete the path. On the left side where it says select feature type, start typing parking aisle and then click on that when it appears. Save your changes.

There's a tutorial when you sign up. That shows you how to do paths, areas, and points of interest.

Hmmm... if I edit OSM at my mother's house, maybe it will stop offering to park on the sidewalk. (It mistakes the sidewalk for end-in parking when I'm in the driveway.)

(Actually, it probably won't help that... I'm not using Summon, it's just indicating the space when I'm in Reverse. Still, In know I'm going to be editing some parking lots...)

Am I the only one who's disappointed by this possibility? Here I was thinking that my Tesla was actually learning and using it's vision system to navigate the parking lot... How is this any different than others using LIDAR?

While it's neat that I can map my parking lots, I didn't think that was a necessary component to FSD success.

That is what everything around me on my map looks like. Seems some groups are already busy at it. In fact, I can't find a single lot within 20 miles of me that is not already mapped out on OSM.

Not that you'd want to do this, but you can update the parking lots in the Canyon Park area near Bothell, WA

Pretty much none of them are done properly.

I did a tiny edit just to see what would happen.

Am I the only one who's disappointed by this possibility? Here I was thinking that my Tesla was actually learning and using it's vision system to navigate the parking lot... How is this any different than others using LIDAR?

While it's neat that I can map my parking lots, I didn't think that was a necessary component to FSD success.

I'm disappointed that Tesla is using a public open source resource without contributing to it.

The car itself doesn't need to learn, but it has to have a mechanism to push corrected routes to Open Street Maps. To use it's vision system to identify where the road doesn't match what OpenStreetMaps has.

So to a customer like yourself it would give a sense of learning.

Where the first couple of times it would struggle through it as it kept having to update the path map. But, after the 3 or 4th try it would be golden.

Reactions: TreeStryder
I'm struggling, can someone do a "for dummies" step by step of how to add the parking aisles please. Be as basic as possible...
There is a tutorial after you make an account. Watch it and learn. The last thing we all need is for a bunch of folks going on there and masking a bunch of errors because they are not taking the time to learn the system.

I'm disappointed that Tesla is using a public open source resource without contributing to it.

The car itself doesn't need to learn, but it has to have a mechanism to push corrected routes to Open Street Maps. To use it's vision system to identify where the road doesn't match what OpenStreetMaps has.

So to a customer like yourself it would give a sense of learning.

Where the first couple of times it would struggle through it as it kept having to update the path map. But, after the 3 or 4th try it would be golden.
They are contributing, look at all the users updating maps for them for free....

I

Dissappointed? I think it makes perfect sense to start with maps. Besides it’s still has to deal with the randomness of humans once it actually starts to drive the route - it will adjust to the situation on the fly. Maps are just a starting point. How do you think FSD is going to drive you to work by end of year (per Elon’s Q3 call)? It’s going to need to know the route, what lane to be in, where one lane roads exist, intersections, etc. They can get a decent amount of useability in a short amount of time using basic maps while they refine sign reading (navigational sign reading) and driving policy. It wouldn’t surprise me if they use this database for stoplights and stop signs as well initially.

it's not. It's currently necessary for beta version of Smart Summon success. It's just a step. Once FSD is truly a thing, they won't need anyone to map anything. Likely they'll abandon that data source, once they've perfected FSD.

Reactions: Manuel
Mapped out my work parking lot where SS has failed miserably unless I summon in segments to lead it around islands. Without leading it it would always try to take a direct route right towards islands. Can't wait to try it again and see if it helped.

Reactions: ratsbew
So I used OSM for the first time to update parking where I work, but OSM isn't working right.

The edit looks fine on the online editor, but the actual OSM isn't showing it correctly.

If I zoom in then it shows up, but only partially.

I also updated the name of the business on the building, and that too isn't showing up correctly until I zoom in all the way.

There appears to be some caching issue with their tile system.