Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners Can Edit Maps to Improve Summon Routes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I signed up and looked around. All the parking lots in my small city nearby are already mapped. I did fix the dirt roads around me, as they were all wrong. Someone must have looked at Google Maps 10 years ago, because it had the exact same mistake. It put my lane on the other side of a cove.

wow, parking lots are surprisingly easy to update. cool.

However, I looked at locations where the car totally screws up NoA and there are not obvious errors there.
It doesn't appear Tesla uses this for NoA on main roads. It uses the google maps and GPS, and of course cameras. The OSM appears to be used for private lots, where summon can be used, and where google maps isn't accurate because it is based on USGS data. The OSM data is used to tell the car where lanes should be, but the car still navigates itself in the real world using its camera system. so updating the OSM data should help the car not get confused when the on board camera system sees an obstruction where the OSM data tells it there should be a roadway.

that is how I understand it anyway.

Am I the only one who's disappointed by this possibility? Here I was thinking that my Tesla was actually learning and using it's vision system to navigate the parking lot... How is this any different than others using LIDAR?

While it's neat that I can map my parking lots, I didn't think that was a necessary component to FSD success.

What? Simply downvote the OP and move on without considering any future except the most fantastical possibility.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
It doesn't appear Tesla uses this for NoA on main roads. It uses the google maps and GPS, and of course cameras. The OSM appears to be used for private lots, where summon can be used, and where google maps isn't accurate because it is based on USGS data. The OSM data is used to tell the car where lanes should be, but the car still navigates itself in the real world using its camera system. so updating the OSM data should help the car not get confused when the on board camera system sees an obstruction where the OSM data tells it there should be a roadway.

that is how I understand it anyway.

I’m no expert, but I’ve looked into this quite a bit. I definitely don’t think they are using OSM for roads/routing, only the parking lots like you said.

Google is only the visual overlay. The underlying maps are assumed to be by mapbox, with routing provided by Valhalla. Google doesn’t allow outside apps to use its routing.
There is a chance that they are getting some additional info from OSM, but I haven’t heard of anything. I do find it interesting that speed limits that are missing on my Tesla, were also missing/wrong on my OSM maps. I updated them and am curious so see if they appear in the next Nav Database download. TBD.

• Informative
Reactions: SOULPEDL
I’m no expert, but I’ve looked into this quite a bit. I definitely don’t think they are using OSM for roads/routing, only the parking lots like you said.

Google is only the visual overlay. The underlying maps are assumed to be by mapbox, with routing provided by Valhalla. Google doesn’t allow outside apps to use its routing.
There is a chance that they are getting some additional info from OSM, but I haven’t heard of anything. I do find it interesting that speed limits that are missing on my Tesla, were also missing/wrong on my OSM maps. I updated them and am curious so see if they appear in the next Nav Database download. TBD.

Interesting. A paid vendor may not be willing to assume the liability of providing speed limits. Google probably has multiple sources for speed limit data within their operating zones. When in conflict the vehicle may simply pick the slowest datapoint.

Am I the only one who's disappointed by this possibility? Here I was thinking that my Tesla was actually learning and using it's vision system to navigate the parking lot... How is this any different than others using LIDAR?

While it's neat that I can map my parking lots, I didn't think that was a necessary component to FSD success.
It does seem to fly in the face of Tesla’s stated position in regards to mapping and autopilot.

I do find it interesting that speed limits that are missing on my Tesla, were also missing/wrong on my OSM maps. I updated them and am curious so see if they appear in the next Nav Database download. TBD.

I corrected a speed limit and then it was fixed in my car one or two navigation databases later. Can't say for sure if it was the OSM update or not, but I'd say it's very likely.

this did not work for me on my own private property. It literally only had drive straight to me, and this is the route it plotted, after updating a few days ago. I had to unpress to stop it from driving into the ditch.
upload_2019-11-3_10-30-28.png

this did not work for me on my own private property. It literally only had drive straight to me, and this is the route it plotted, after updating a few days ago. I had to unpress to stop it from driving into the ditch.
View attachment 472738

Satellite view would be helpful. Click the little globe button to enable satellite view. I have no idea what's going on in that screenshot.

it's zoomed in too close for satellite view to show anything but blurred pixels. My property is an acre - this is completely on my property on a gravel driveway. the circle you see is the route it plotted, which went out of the carport, then off the driveway, onto grass, it stopped for a pedestrian where there was no pedestrian, it waited for a route to clear when it drove up to my garden shed - which it drove away from my gps location to get to. Not complaining about the functionality - I know it's beta and this is not on any plotted public or mapped area - just sayin' editing the lot on OSM didn't improve anything for me in my circumstance.

it's zoomed in too close for satellite view to show anything but blurred pixels. My property is an acre - this is completely on my property on a gravel driveway. the circle you see is the route it plotted, which went out of the carport, then off the driveway, onto grass, it stopped for a pedestrian where there was no pedestrian, it waited for a route to clear when it drove up to my garden shed - which it drove away from my gps location to get to. Not complaining about the functionality - I know it's beta and this is not on any plotted public or mapped area - just sayin' editing the lot on OSM didn't improve anything for me in my circumstance.

Without seeing what you mapped and what type of road you used - this info unfortunately isn’t very useful in helping to understand how smart summon is routing.

You need to add "parking aisles" to define the driving space. Also, without concrete curbs, I find that it doesn't really do a good job of defining "driveable space".

Use the line tool to drive the exact path of your driveway.

Here is an example of my parents' farm. I haven't had a chance to visit since mapping it.

SkRTZxC.png

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: dhanson865 and KenC
You need to add "parking aisles" to define the driving space. Also, without concrete curbs, I find that it doesn't really do a good job of defining "driveable space".

Use the line tool to drive the exact path of your driveway.

Exactly this. I also know it will drive on “service road” as well. Not sure if “driveway” works or not. Just doing the Parking Area really does nothing as far as I can tell.