Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners Can Edit Maps to Improve Summon Routes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've changed it to this now...I'll try again later...
upload_2019-11-3_12-17-49.png

That’s a good way to get yourself banned from map editing. Why contaminate public data just to experiment with Summon?

Very true.

But this is the only reason why I want summon. I don’t even test it on actual parking lots because it’s just not ready. But in a quiet neighborhood like mine, where it is way more controlled and predictable, i would love to use it. I understand what you are saying tho.

Reactions: beachmiles
Am I the only one who's disappointed by this possibility? Here I was thinking that my Tesla was actually learning and using it's vision system to navigate the parking lot... How is this any different than others using LIDAR?

While it's neat that I can map my parking lots, I didn't think that was a necessary component to FSD success.

This was my initial gut feel as well. TSLA (q) tool perhaps?

My prediction for months as been that Tesla's will be data logging while driving around, it's just not there yet. Eventually, when dead ends occur because a Starbucks popped up from nowhere, then like ants, they'll communicate to the queen (Tesla) of the change to the parking maps. Yes, our cars could come to behave like ants and won't need public map data anymore, IMO.

But if I"m wrong, this could happen: Imagine shopping centers or businesses where someone malicious screws up their lot? They'd be pissed because all the bad Summoning could back up traffic = bad for business and annoying. At some point, laws could be employ because of its similarity to toilet papering a house for example. Harassment and vandalism come to mind with all the laws associated. But I don't think it will get to that before the data is inhouse and secure. You do require strategy in the parking lot to get going, so maps are essential...

Unless Starlink plans to use live cameras to update them near real-time. Hmm...

Reactions: Nocturnal
Tesla owners who have experienced trouble with the car’s self-driving Smart Summon feature have discovered that there’s a way to update the maps used for routing. TMC member Armee_1 discovered that Tesla seems to be using Open Street Maps (OSM) for parking lot mapping. What’s more, owners can create an account with the open source project...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/11/04/tesla-owners-can-edit-maps-to-improve-summon-routes/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Does anyone know if Tesla only uses Open Street Maps for Smart Summon or does Tesla also use OSM for all navigation, including NOA? I ask because I noticed that OSM has what appears to be detailed maps of highways as well.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Does anyone know if Tesla only uses Open Street Maps for Smart Summon or does Tesla also use OSM for all navigation, including NOA? I ask because I noticed that OSM has what appears to be detailed maps of highways as well.

If they were using OSM for anything else, they would know the correct *(!@#!@ speed limit on the highway I'm on most weekends :p

If they were using OSM for anything else, they would know the correct *(!@#!@ speed limit on the highway I'm on most weekends :p

This. I work with OSM a lot in my day job. They may use it for display but not navigation. FYI - Mapbox uses OSM for their maps, not their own proprietary data. So what you fix in OSM ends up in Mapbox which may end up in display in your car. Someone mentioned it above.

You can also learn more about OSM editing here: LearnOSM

My team did a lot of Denver parking lots last year... so Denver drivers... you're welcome. ;)

This. I work with OSM a lot in my day job. They may use it for display but not navigation. FYI - Mapbox uses OSM for their maps, not their own proprietary data. So what you fix in OSM ends up in Mapbox which may end up in display in your car. Someone mentioned it above.

My team did a lot of Denver parking lots last year... so Denver drivers... you're welcome. ;)

I've tried searching by can't find the answer -- how do you map an uncovered (open-air) ramp (currently set as a Service Road) that goes from a ground-level road to the 2nd-floor rooftop parking area? It isn't an embankment or a bridge, is it? The OSM Editor complains when I mark a parking area as Multilevel saying "Multilevel Parking Garage crosses Service Road" and asks me to add a bridge or tunnel. Thanks in advance!

I've tried searching by can't find the answer -- how do you map an uncovered (open-air) ramp (currently set as a Service Road) that goes from a ground-level road to the 2nd-floor rooftop parking area? It isn't an embankment or a bridge, is it? The OSM Editor complains when I mark a parking area as Multilevel saying "Multilevel Parking Garage crosses Service Road" and asks me to add a bridge or tunnel. Thanks in advance!

I think sometimes you can ignore the warnings. My parking lot at work has a pedestrian path cross a parking lane or driveway and it gives a warning and suggests a bridge or tunnel but it looks like professionals mapped out the lot. They mapped each individual tree in the landscaping area, etc. And there really is a pedestrian crossing going through the parking way.

It does seem to fly in the face of Tesla’s stated position in regards to mapping and autopilot.
I don't get why people think this is violating the spirit of FSD. How do you think Navigation works? They're using Google Maps and ALWAYS WILL. The software can't plan a route with no knowledge of where the roads are. What Musk objects to is using map data to define what's right in front of you, e.g., stop signs, stop lights, or construction zones since those things can move or be out of order. A parked car in a lot has a blocked view. Yes, a human walking up to their car can look around and see how to get out of the lot (usually) but try doing that while sitting in the drivers' seat. Thus, the need for some kind of map to plan a route to the summoner.

I'm pretty sure OSM is used for NoA lane guidance because bad lane choices during NoA always correlate with incorrect lane tagging in the OSM data, e.g. lane count doesn't match reality. At least I've never found a place where they don't correlate so far. Any time NoA chooses the wrong lane, there is a matching segment of road in OSM with mismatched lane tags.

They use the Valhalla library for navigation, which works off of OSM tiles. I'm certain of this because it shows up in the system logs:

2019-10-22T00:19:35.172224-07:00 cid valhalla: map version: NA-2019.20-10487#012valhalla_allagash_nam_schema_0305_03_05_2019_a665978_10487_03_05_2019_a665978_10487.pbf-tiles-1ee14c0.ta

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I recently corrected in OSM a wrong one way direction on a parking lot nearby when my cur was trying to go a wrong direction when summoning. I was hoping for the changes to be reflected in a next map update, but found this discussion and decided to check if my fix can already be used by summon. And sure enough I've found it's working! The car is now using the correct one way direction! Pretty cool.

I was thinking why Tesla would use such not reliable data source as OSM. I think they use OSM as a temporary solution until they figure out how to recognize and use street signs. Humans don't need maps to navigate parking lots. We just look around and find all necessary information from paved lines, street signs and knowing a general direction where we need to go.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and S3XY
I recently corrected in OSM a wrong one way direction on a parking lot nearby when my cur was trying to go a wrong direction when summoning. I was hoping for the changes to be reflected in a next map update, but found this discussion and decided to check if my fix can already be used by summon. And sure enough I've found it's working! The car is now using the correct one way direction! Pretty cool.

I was thinking why Tesla would use such not reliable data source as OSM. I think they use OSM as a temporary solution until they figure out how to recognize and use street signs. Humans don't need maps to navigate parking lots. We just look around and find all necessary information from paved lines, street signs and knowing a general direction where we need to go.

The car seems to check for "map overrides" pretty frequently, that's probably how we see updated map data even though the base map version hasn't changed...

2019-10-22T00:19:37.321680-07:00 cid QtCarTMServer[800]: [CachedRemoteFile] INFO starting download of http://mothership.vn.teslamotors.com:4567/gui/maps/valhalla/map_override_NA-2019.20-10487.pbf.gz

They use the Valhalla library for navigation, which works off of OSM tiles. I'm certain of this because it shows up in the system logs:

2019-10-22T00:19:35.172224-07:00 cid valhalla: map version: NA-2019.20-10487#012valhalla_allagash_nam_schema_0305_03_05_2019_a665978_10487_03_05_2019_a665978_10487.pbf-tiles-1ee14c0.ta

Display is google. At least in Colorado where I live. Doesn't make sense to pay for google tiles but use Valhalla as routing engine. Especially if you can make the display much better looking with OSM. The current road display is painful on the eyes.