Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners Can Edit Maps to Improve Summon Routes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally had a chance to test out Smart Summon after taking the time to update the parking lot where I work. Summon had failed the few times I tried it previously but I'm happy to report it worked perfectly today. In previous attempts it would draw a route directly to where I was sumonning to even though it would have to drive over islands to go that way. Today it routed around the islands and traversed the path perfectly! Thanks OP for bringing this to our attention. I also took the time to update several other parking lots near me. I may never use it at those locations but someone probably will benefit from it.

Awesome. Glad to hear it worked. Also, as I said before, I first read about this on reditt, but I didn’t realize that it would update within a few days. so I cannot claim original credit. This has proved to be an interesting thread with lots of good input.

original info here:

Smart Summon paths use OpenStreetMap data for parking aisles, intersections, one-way directions (otherwise it can go wrong way / through parking spots) : teslamotors

I'm not seeing it. When I open OSM the map does not match either what is on the center screen (expected, that's google) and it doesn't match what I see on the phone in smart summon. I cannot find any online map that matches what I see on the phone. Still looking.

I did edit OSM to add more parking aisles and smart summon looks no different. Routing me across a curbed grassy median.

I also thought this was a winner on the incorrect speed limits. It matches the same "problem" areas near me. Except, found one does not match. Actually, it used to work I the car and it used to match OSM. The now changes at an intersection instead of splitting the road segment in between two intersection. OSM has the speed limit change in the correct place with quite old dates.

So I finally had a chance to test out Smart Summon after taking the time to update the parking lot where I work. Summon had failed the few times I tried it previously but I'm happy to report it worked perfectly today. In previous attempts it would draw a route directly to where I was sumonning to even though it would have to drive over islands to go that way. Today it routed around the islands and traversed the path perfectly! Thanks OP for bringing this to our attention. I also took the time to update several other parking lots near me. I may never use it at those locations but someone probably will benefit from it.

This may have just been coincidence. It is important to note that the summon app will dynamically change the route at least up until the time you start the actual summon. The other day I was sitting at my daughters school parking lot and i put the pin at the main school driveway. The app first wanted to go straight through the grass, then switched to the appropriate route...then back to the grass...

The other thing I was just thinking was that I don't think I want Tesla to use OSM data, at least not live. Could be dangerous for drivers on AP if something gets changed wrong while the car is actively routing on an affected section.

This may have just been coincidence. It is important to note that the summon app will dynamically change the route at least up until the time you start the actual summon. The other day I was sitting at my daughters school parking lot and i put the pin at the main school driveway. The app first wanted to go straight through the grass, then switched to the appropriate route...then back to the grass...

The other thing I was just thinking was that I don't think I want Tesla to use OSM data, at least not live. Could be dangerous for drivers on AP if something gets changed wrong while the car is actively routing on an affected section.

I politely have to disagree. It’s no coincidence. Now there probably is more going on under the hood then we know - I’ll accept that. This could also change with any of the next Tesla updates.

We don’t know exactly how long it takes to populate with the car. Also, in the original Reditt thread, it was 13 days before the user fully saw the car use the new map routing that he corrected without the course line jumping around.

As far as open source mapping, I’m happy they are using it. To be able to edit my own area and not wait months if not years for some else else to do it is great. You can rest assured the route I take to work is 100% accurate now - with stop signs and stop lights, speed limits, etc... TBD if it ever shows up, but either way it’s still helping out the community and hundreds of websites that use this.
Everyone is so worried this bad person is going to edit a route and make all Tesla’s drive off a cliff. Reminds me of when my parents told me about razor blades in Halloween candy.

Last edited:
I politely have to disagree. It’s no coincidence. Now there probably is more going on under the hood then we know - I’ll accept that. This could also change with any of the next Tesla updates.

We don’t know exactly how long it takes to populate with the car. Also, in the original Reditt thread, it was 13 days before the user fully saw the car use the new map routing that he corrected without the course line jumping around.

As far as open source mapping, I’m happy they are using it. To be able to edit my own area and not wait months if not years for some else else to do it is great. You can rest assured the route I take to work is 100% accurate now - with stop signs and stop lights, speed limits, etc... TBD if it ever shows up, but either way it’s still helping out the community and hundreds of websites that use this.
Everyone is so worried this bad person is going to edit a route and make all Tesla’s drive off a cliff. Reminds me of when my parents told me about razor blades in Halloween candy.

Where I work there are roads that my navigation has used for the last year that show on the display that are(now were, since I updated it) not noted in the OSM data.

For my first attempts, since I could see the route it was choosing I tried changing the summon target to something that would be easier to traverse. It still routed over islands and when I activated it it took that path. The one time I let it continue it just kept running parallel to the curb but that path would eventually lead it out of range so I aborted. So it wasn't getting better. Maybe it would've if I tried another hundred times, maybe not. What I do know is that once I updated the OSM map it was able to circle around the end of two islands and successfully reach the target. So I'm convinced it's using the maps. I'm also convinced it's only using OSM for Smart Summon in private lots. They are not using it on public roads for AP. I agree that that could be dangerous. I'm think Tesla would agree.

For my first attempts, since I could see the route it was choosing I tried changing the summon target to something that would be easier to traverse. It still routed over islands and when I activated it it took that path. The one time I let it continue it just kept running parallel to the curb but that path would eventually lead it out of range so I aborted. So it wasn't getting better. Maybe it would've if I tried another hundred times, maybe not. What I do know is that once I updated the OSM map it was able to circle around the end of two islands and successfully reach the target. So I'm convinced it's using the maps. I'm also convinced it's only using OSM for Smart Summon in private lots. They are not using it on public roads for AP. I agree that that could be dangerous. I'm think Tesla would agree.

Good point that it might be using OSM data ONLY for smart summon. I'll have to do some additional tests of my own, easiest being to add my driveway into OSM and see if that makes smart summon not want to go through my yard.

Good point that it might be using OSM data ONLY for smart summon. I'll have to do some additional tests of my own, easiest being to add my driveway into OSM and see if that makes smart summon not want to go through my yard.
After reading the first reddit post about this subject, I also fixed a wrong one-way at a Walmart parking lot where I noticed my car wanted to drive the opposite way. I haven't had a chance to try it again, but I'm sure it matched exactly where it was wrong.

Tesla definitely DOES NOT use OSM data directly for Autopilot or FSD. The speed limits in Nebraska roads went up +5 MPH more than a year ago and my Model 3 still does not know the updated speed limit for most of them (except interstate highways). I updated the OSM map speed limits in the first half of this year, slightly before the latest maps update version on our Teslas. It still has the wrong speed limits. I also updated the limits for two other mapping services (I believe one was Garmin, and another I can't remember). I believe changes to critical stuff goes through some verification process or just through some time-out period before it is integrated. Also, we haven't had any Tesla maps updates since that version earlier in the year. So the next version update might finally integrate my fixed speed limits.

More proof that Smart Summon is absolutely connected to OSM. I mapped out this lot as seen on the left and then took some screenshots of the predicted path on the right. However, I found that just because the blue line shows one thing doesn't mean that the car will do it. I had trouble trying to get it to go through the drive-thru (it is abandon).

Previously the car did no better than random chance to maneuver around the traffic islands.

I put the car half way through the drive-thru and SS unfortunately curbed my right rear wheel a little bit.

hAvfbdI.jpg

Reactions: Big Earl
I was all set to tell you that you are wrong, and I checked on my google maps and Apple maps (I have an iPhone). Lo and behold, you're right! Its Apple maps! Google doesn't show this road, but Apple maps does, and exactly like i see it on the Tesla app when attempting to summon.

so my question now is, would it work if I were using a different phone? Does the failure have to do with the map the app is using on my phone? If not, then there is still a database, maybe the same one Apple maps uses, that is showing this as a public road and blocking summon onboard the Tesla.
You can report the bogus road to Apple, I've found them to be fairly responsive to errors I've reported in Maps. Just tap the circled 'i' (as of iOS 13) above the location arrow and then "report an issue"

• Informative
Reactions: mtndrew1
If I remember, Tesla uses Mapbox for maps and Valhalla for routing - or at least that was the rumor at the time. Mapbox sources raw data from OSM. Not sure what exactly it does with it. Could it allow a Tesla curated dataset where they can pull in bits and pieces as they see fit?

I did fix the dirt roads around me, as they were all wrong. Someone must have looked at Google Maps 10 years ago, because it had the exact same mistake. It put my lane on the other side of a cove.

Google, OpenStreetMap Esri and others have used the same simple public domain map created to facilitate the US census.

See the OpenStreetMap Wiki for more information.
TIGER fixup - OpenStreetMap Wiki