Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners Can Edit Maps to Improve Summon Routes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One issue that I'vet seen with a few people's Smart Summon failures are where islands/grass/other obstructions aren't mapped in OpenStreetMap and the car just sees drivable space and tries to go right through. So the fix is to draw out the area with the obstruction and label it appropriately (such as tree, garden, etc). See this parking lot in Edit mode for an example of this (Tesla factory parking lot as tipped off by another user in this thread) OpenStreetMap

Edit to add that you can read up on tagging curbs (or kerbs) or sidewalks in the OSM wiki here
Key:kerb - OpenStreetMap Wiki
Sidewalks - OpenStreetMap Wiki

Last edited:
Reactions: Jedi2155
Sorry for question in a thread about SS but I think my problem won't be solved by OSM - a part of my street is not named and this may be why the directions to my home are always wrong (at T junction says to go Left when Right is correct). My home shows at the correct location - I've tried contacting google (months ago no change), etc.
Would OSM be of any use for this or what can I do???? I know how to get to my house but Uber, deliveries, etc. don't :(

Sorry for question in a thread about SS but I think my problem won't be solved by OSM - a part of my street is not named and this may be why the directions to my home are always wrong (at T junction says to go Left when Right is correct). My home shows at the correct location - I've tried contacting google (months ago no change), etc.
Would OSM be of any use for this or what can I do???? I know how to get to my house but Uber, deliveries, etc. don't :(

What does your street look like in OSM? I don’t think it will help, BUT it can’t hurt. Might get propagated through the cosmos and fixed at some point.
Oddly enough I just did my first google maps edit (in google maps under feedback) as google would take everyone to an adjacent street next to my house. I moved my address to the beginning of my driveway instead of on my house (I have a really long gravel driveway) and google published it. Now what I wasn’t expecting is that my car actually Nav’d to the new address location the next day. So....yeah - No idea how that worked. I haven’t figured out how to get google to fix improper routing. Most of the time it’s because of street map errors like you speak of.

My street name was wrong in Google...took me over a year and reporting about 4 times before it finally got fixed.

That's completely understandable, new things can seem daunting at first - but I'm convinced you'll manage soon :)
In general mapping starts with OSM at OpenStreetMap .
There are various guides at LearnOSM , Beginners' guide - OpenStreetMap Wiki and elsewhere.
It is a bit of a learning curve, but if you are a technical person, it should not be a huge challenge.

There are plenty of OSM-related tutorials on Youtube, although I'm not aware of a parking lot-specific one.
As I'm not much of a video person, I haven't seen much of the videos. Still, the list at
looks like a good start (even if some tools might be outdated by now).

In the simplest case the building and entrances/exits are mapped.
The level tag - Key:level - OpenStreetMap Wiki will help with more detail.
Support for easier editing will vary between editors, personally I've only used level switching in JOSM (offline OSM editor).
Thank you for the links. I cannot believe I have NEVER HEARD OF OpenStreetMap and the other links you posted.
It just seems to me that when Tesla comes out with these rather unusual (yet wonderful) new things, that they could at least offer a way for people to learn how to use it. They just throw these updates out there and some of us don't have a clue about options for tweaking it. I didn't even KNOW you could tweak these things (mapping etc.)
Just because I drive a Tesla doesn't mean I am smart enough or technologically advanced to know all of these things prior to getting the feature.
Thank you again. I am going to study now to see how much I DO need to learn. This, to me, is weird. I thought it would work as it should and anything weird that happened would be expected yet improved by Tesla, NOT ME.

Reactions: sceptic
I have been updating OSM for the shops and Malls where I live.
I am a newbie to OSM - but have enjoyed several days of detail work in defining the areas where I will - someday - be using the summons feature.

A couple of questions I have been cogitating on while I update/add in the roads and parking areas. How does the Tesla, handle various roads in parking lots.

I assume that for normal bidirectional "Service Roads", the Tesla will be to the right (in USA) of the center line drawn.

But:
How does it handle "Parking Aisles" Does the car travel down the center of the parking Aisle, or to the (right) side??

Same question for a Service road or Parking aisle set as one-way roads - Does the car travel down the center of the parking Aisle, or to the side?? This is most interesting typically at Parking lot separated entrances where the incoming, or outgoing lanes are curbed, and much, much more narrow.

In general- how does Tesla handle Service roads vs Parking Aisles - differences??

Note: over the past several days I have made numerous updates / additions to OSM, and checked the review requested - not responses...to date.

Thank you for the links. I cannot believe I have NEVER HEARD OF OpenStreetMap and the other links you posted.
It just seems to me that when Tesla comes out with these rather unusual (yet wonderful) new things, that they could at least offer a way for people to learn how to use it. They just throw these updates out there and some of us don't have a clue about options for tweaking it. I didn't even KNOW you could tweak these things (mapping etc.)
Just because I drive a Tesla doesn't mean I am smart enough or technologically advanced to know all of these things prior to getting the feature.
Thank you again. I am going to study now to see how much I DO need to learn. This, to me, is weird. I thought it would work as it should and anything weird that happened would be expected yet improved by Tesla, NOT ME.
Tesla doesn't tell you about it precisely because they don't expect their customers to "tweak" it. Someone happened to stumble across the fact that Tesla appears to be using OSM for smart summon, but in general that's something that 99% of Tesla drivers don't need to care about.

I have been updating OSM for the shops and Malls where I live.
I am a newbie to OSM - but have enjoyed several days of detail work in defining the areas where I will - someday - be using the summons feature.

A couple of questions I have been cogitating on while I update/add in the roads and parking areas. How does the Tesla, handle various roads in parking lots.

I assume that for normal bidirectional "Service Roads", the Tesla will be to the right (in USA) of the center line drawn.

But:
How does it handle "Parking Aisles" Does the car travel down the center of the parking Aisle, or to the (right) side??

Same question for a Service road or Parking aisle set as one-way roads - Does the car travel down the center of the parking Aisle, or to the side?? This is most interesting typically at Parking lot separated entrances where the incoming, or outgoing lanes are curbed, and much, much more narrow.

In general- how does Tesla handle Service roads vs Parking Aisles - differences??

Note: over the past several days I have made numerous updates / additions to OSM, and checked the review requested - not responses...to date.

The maps just give smart summon a guideline, not an exact path. Once it initiates, the sensors are primary as it loosely tries to makes sense of its surroundings and find its way to you.
It does not really follow rules of the road and it will adjust to the surroundings as it drives along. Just because the blue line goes through a curb island, doesn’t mean it will drive through it. It will try and find a way around it.
It can take a few days or more to see results of mapping.
These comments are based on 36.2.1

Improving OSM might help - Uber reportedly is using OSM internally, as are many delivery companies - for example, Amazon has a pretty large OSM-editing team: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Amazon_Logistics .

I wouldn't expect them to take the lines so literally - usually you cannot make them that precise, as the imagery will be a bit off to begin with. In some places, imagery could easily be 10m off, and even more. They probably use map as a guideline and then do the actual positioning based on cameras, sensors etc.

Reactions: Armee_1
I've made several parking lot updates around town and tested it over that period to see the impact of the changes. I know they're working because the car correctly took a one-way drive-thru/loading area at Lowes. However, despite all of the parking aisles and curbs/islands being mapped out the car still favors coming straight to me when the lot is at least partially clear. Despite it being physically possible, it's a pretty awkward and sometimes dangerous path to take in a parking lot. Any thoughts? Here's the Lowes map if you want to take a look.

I've made several parking lot updates around town and tested it over that period to see the impact of the changes. I know they're working because the car correctly took a one-way drive-thru/loading area at Lowes. However, despite all of the parking aisles and curbs/islands being mapped out the car still favors coming straight to me when the lot is at least partially clear. Despite it being physically possible, it's a pretty awkward and sometimes dangerous path to take in a parking lot. Any thoughts? Here's the Lowes map if you want to take a look.

As far as I can tell, mapping curbs and objects does nothing to help smart summon. It just uses the parking aisles and service roads to aid with initial route prediction. Once it starts on the route it will deviate based on what it encounters.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx

This is pretty much the same problem I have at my work parking lot - I've added Service Roads to the parking lot a couple weeks ago, but the car still ignores them and wants to go straight through parking spots. Looks like some OSM changes get ignored and others (like one way direction) get applied. Still could be timing meaning some changes get applied sooner than others...

This is pretty much the same problem I have at my work parking lot - I've added Service Roads to the parking lot a couple weeks ago, but the car still ignores them and wants to go straight through parking spots. Looks like some OSM changes get ignored and others (like one way direction) get applied. Still could be timing meaning some changes get applied sooner than others...

You have to wait 2-4 seconds for the routing to update before you press the button.

I have updated one parking lot at my kids' school that has blocked lanes due to construction, the parking deck at work removing the entrances to all but the main parking level, and added my driveway as a service road. None of these three changes seem to have any effect on how the Tesla navigates on Smart Summon. For example, at the school the car still tries to drive down the blocked lane (blocked by cones) even though that service road for the lane was removed from the map.

I have updated one parking lot at my kids' school that has blocked lanes due to construction, the parking deck at work removing the entrances to all but the main parking level, and added my driveway as a service road. None of these three changes seem to have any effect on how the Tesla navigates on Smart Summon. For example, at the school the car still tries to drive down the blocked lane (blocked by cones) even though that service road for the lane was removed from the map.
Also, in the parking deck, the car still tries to exit at the nearest entrance/exit even though it is/was on a completely different level and has since been removed. So it seems that the changes I make are not getting propagated to whatever system the Tesla actually sources.