TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Owners Charging Co-Op? Expand the network TODAY?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by NoMoGas, Aug 6, 2013.

1. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

My sincerest apologies if this question or idea has been asked or presented before and I invite the Mod to move this post as they deem appropriate.

Much has been said about the range limitations of a MS but it occurred to me if we opened up our HPWC's to other MS owners, we could substantially increase the effective range of the cars RIGHT NOW.

Anyone interested in such a project? I would recommend a TMC donation of $10-20 to offset costs but very curious as to what your thoughts were.

2. metafor

metafor Member

Many are already offering their HPWC on plugshare. Much is appreciated of that. The biggest problem, IMO, is having to bother the owners (and have them be home to open the garage door for you) in order to charge. It'd be much nicer if there could be an external HPWC that can extend to the street for a car to be parked.

3. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I have registered my HPWC on PlugShare.com for all Model S owners to enjoy. I welcome Model S owners to swing by my home in Buckeye, Arizona to charge on their way to Phoenix. I am located about 30 miles west of Phoenix and am the highest amperage charger along the I-10 and east of Blythe/California border. You can find me listed among the residential chargers on PlugShare.com, my cell phone number is published for anyone who would like to call and make an appointment to charge free of cost. I believe a network of HPWCs would be useful to Model S owners, especially as the next best thing to not being near a supercharger.

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I too have listed my Roadster HPC on PlugShare with a cord that reaches outside. For Model S cars I can offer 48 amp j1772. If everyone listed traveling would be easier. Today i am driving 350 in my Roadster.

5. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

Perhaps one could call and the cord could be placed outside the garage door? This is definitely a solvable issue with a little thinking. Amped, I will definitely be stopping by at some point :) I am mounting my HPWC right by the garage door and may put a hangar outside for use by other MS owners if this idea actually works.

6. joer00

joer00 Member

I too believe that the HPWC's are a decent solution and if enough available could be the "SC's of the cities". The home chargers do not work in my opinion.On two occasions I contacted the Florida charge share network on SHORT NOTICE, and I got only 2-3 responses with mostly "not available now". However this weekend two owners responded with immediate availability and I had some great beer while charging, however no HWPC. So I think the "at home" network is just not reliable enough to have an impact. So what works in my opinion are HPWC's at local, owner operated restaurants. We as the Tesla owners would have to donate the charger and installation. I would assume Tesla would help and give a special deal for such chargers. This is currently happening in Key West where the whole charger was donated by a Tesla exec. (however not placed at a restaurant).

Even more interesting is the question to privately extent the SC network. Tesla will always place them at the most important locations on a highway, never in a city. I do not know the costs of an SC, but assume it's 50k incl installation, I would put 1k in for this. It needs only 50 people to make it happen ! I am in Tampa, the charger could be placed on 275 between Tampa and St Pete. IDEAL would be at Starbucks or some coffee shop. I am envisioning "charge meetings" of local Tesla owners. Charge and socialize, how awesome would that be ?

7. kcveins

kcveins delivery 2/7

I agree that HPWCs around the city would be helpful, but the cost of a supercharger station is around $250K - quite a bit higher than your $50K estimate.

8. Banahogg

Banahogg Member

I think that was for one of the big stations. One of the single head superchargers like they brought to Laguna Seca for refuel probably would be in that range.

9. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Jim,

Not everyone is comfortable with having strangers over to charge at their homes. For those that are comfortable, as was mentioned, Plugshare is a great resource. We have a Florida Tesla Motors Club with over 200 households, a few of them participate in Plugshare, but most don't. Of our 200+ members only 44 are comfortable with sharing their home charging source even with other traveling club members. The host and the visitor may be strangers to one another, but inorder to participate in this private charging network all members must exchange home addresses and contact information. So the participants are not complete strangers.

TMC certainly deserves to receive donations, but I'm afraid I don't follow what you mean to offset the costs. Are you thinking that the TMC management would be organizing such a project?

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Joe,

Just to clarify we currently don't know for sure if, as a matter of policy, Tesla would give special deals to assist in donating HPWCs at strategic locations. What we do know is that one Tesla executive out of his own generousity donated an HPWC recently to a location that is walking distance from restuarants.

Yes, that would be awesome, but with all due respect, not very likely. It is Tesla's objective to facilitate road trips by building out the Supercharger network strategically along major highways. It is not their stated objective to pay for the energy cost of locals desiring to obtain free power. Even if you could persuade Tesla to sell or lease the equipment, the serious issue of paying for the energy & demand charges, and maintenance costs remains. The donors and/or hosts would have to be prepared pickup those recurring costs which are likely to be significant. You won't find too many people that are willing to pay $1,000 or more up front and also pay for the recurring costs of others looking for a free ride.

Larry

10. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

#10 NoMoGas, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    My apologies for not making the donation aspect clear. The donation would be to the owner of the HPWC to offset costs of acquisition and energy. I think what I am talking about is very much akin to what you seem to already be doing, allowing members of a local club to access each others chargers. So, fleshing that out a local club, such as yours, could link with business to create a local network that would have some simple cost structure for use to dissuade free riders but encourage network expansion. It would not be too difficult to set up a HPWC with a timer switch inside a local establishment. They could provide the service free for customers or at a cost. As has been previously mentioned, it's a win-win as the business probably would want to attract people who could afford a high end car such as this and the Tesla Community can expand their range little by little.

Either way this is a very productive conversation IMHO

Here is a fun idea... a Hotel chain across I-40 for coast to coast connectivity. Bet you we could do that in no time if we decided to LONG before the Supercharger Network is fully up. Thoughts?

11. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

I share my 14-50 on plugshare, and have helped a few tesla owners out. Here in the charging desert known as the midwest, even the 50 amp connections are drastically better that the other alternatives. If you live in an area without alot of charging options available, I would really encourage you to list yourself on plugshare. You will not get bugged too often, and you will get to meet some cool people.

12. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

Something like what Sun Country Highways is doing in Canada sounds like a great alternative. I wouldn't plan any trip based on getting power from somebody's garage. Local clubs don't help me if I'm not in the club.

The Plugshare listing is great, and I list both my 40 amp J1772 and NEMA 14-50 that is mounted outside. I've had plenty of people use them, but that's usually because they're coming to my house.

My suggestion would be for groups / individuals / clubs to buy the Clipper Creek CS-100's with J1772 and donate them to restaurants, hotels, public parks and other logical places. Put a donation box on it and a plaque indicating that it is donated and all proceeds to go maintaining the unit. The plaque should also note who is paying for the electricity.

Unfortunately, there has to be some policing of each unit since it will attract freeloaders who will camp out there. Maybe a simple mechanical timer that can only be set up to an hour maximum. In California, the law allows towing for vehicles not charging (when properly posted), so the freeloaders/campers can be dealt with with the timer concept.

Remember the Roadsters!! They can't take an 80 amp pilot signal, but Clipper Creek can add a switch to allow 70 or 80 amps. It appears that 2013 Nissan LEAF current won't accept an 80 amp signal either, much like the Roadster.

Then, after installation, just put it on PlugShare. That's it.

13. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Well said!

That is exactly what a few of us are doing in the next month or two in Pagosa Springs, CO, and are hoping to do in Salida, CO as soon as we find a willing business there.

I called Clipper Creek and was told that the CS-100 is not available with a 70A/80A switch. However, the choice was easy for us because the Clipper Creek TS70 (90) is still available for $1,395 while supplies last. Clipper Creek is using the last of their parts from the original Roadster build and making these with with J1772 connectors. This is a good, cost-effective solution; 70A charging is still very nice vs 40A, 30A, or 24A charging that is often the alternative.

14. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

@Tony, See I was thinking HPWC's for MS owners but that might have been the elitist prick in me talking. :biggrin: Your idea is most excellent. I do appreciate the high amp J1772... am I the only one getting a bit sick of everyone having their own plug? Nothing will do in EV's quicker then that IMHO.

15. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

Yes, the J1772-2009 is the singular thing the EV community shares. Lets spread it around.

:biggrin:

16. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

17. huntjo

huntjo Member

I would like to help do this in parts of Colorado off of the interstate, like for example Steamboat Springs, maybe Walden, maybe Mesa verde or Pagosa springs. What's the best way for us to reach out to businesses in these areas?

18. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I have been working behind the scenes to get some of this in place. With a little luck, we will have a 70A J1772 EVSE's in Pagosa Springs and Salida by the end of September.

The Pagosa Springs location will be within a few blocks walk of restaurants, bars, shops, and hot springs. The Salida location will be within a few blocks walk of restaurants, bars, shops, and tubing/rafting on the river. The owner of Wood's High Mountain Distillery in Salida is very interested n making this a reality. One cool aspect is that their building was a Gas/Service station in the 40's and 50's. BTW, their Barrel Rested Gin is very special.

I was thinking of calling the group the SW Colorado EVSE Coop, then expanded to the 4-Corners EVSE Coop. This was based on my use and the dramatic hole in the SuperCharger Network in the 4-Corners area. Maybe, it should be the Mountain States EVSE Coop to be a little more forward thinking and bring faster charging to those interesting destinations that are remote and beyond plans for the SuperCharger buildout...

My idea is to create a not-for-profit (but also not for loss) LLC. It would not be a 501(c)3; I want to keep this simple and don't need to justify any self-dealing issues with the IRS. The basic idea is that people and businesses that want to help, can make no interest loans or contributions of equipment, services, and space. These loans and contributions would be paid back with the income from the per hour charges for using the EVSE's. For businesses hosting EVSE's, they would probably provide free charging to those who do business with the EVSE host. Any net income generated after expenses and loans are repaid will be used to build more higher power (70A/80A) EVSE stations off the SuperCharger grid, and in nice places to hang out. If there are no more places to put in more EVSE's, then the excess net income will be donated to local charities in the EVSE communities.

Thoughts?

19. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Walden CO - right in the village (north side) is a small RV park with spaces & meters. On CO125, main street.

Rand, CO - right on the Forest border is a nice KOA. I assume proper haven for any Tesla. On CO125 heading south to Granby CO from Walden, CO..
    --

20. huntjo

huntjo Member

I'd love to contribute to something like this. Should we involve a group like "drive electric Colorado" or anything or would the red tape be too much when working with more than one non-profit?

- - - Updated - - -

Those are passable for now, but higher amperage charging at sites that are more interesting to the traveler than a campground is the ideal I think. Imagine driving a 60kWh from Fort Collins to Steamboat. You want to stop and eat for an hour in Walden while you grab some electrons. It would be so much more satisfying if you could get 70-80 amps rather than the standard campground 30-50 amp service.