Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners' Everyday Navigation Use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always use it. Extremely easy to use and need it living in major metro areas for traffic routing. Previously used Waze, the only thing missing with Tesla is Police/accident warnings, and would like it to give me the three route options like Waze did. Sometimes I prefer to avoid certain non-desirable routes even if it takes a few minutes longer. Tesla does not give you this option that I know of, but I have only used it for a month so I could be wrong. Also, Waze seemed more up-to-date with temporary construction closure issues.

I have noticed sometimes Tesla nav does weird stuff like telling me to turn right, then make a u-turn.. when I could just legally turn left at a light. I just ignore it since the overhead view is so obvious.

Last edited:
Interesting question, that my Ex-Wife (part of the reason she's an ex) would always bug me about, when i would use a Garmin on my old ICE vehicle. Why do you need navigation on when you know where you are going everyday to and from work. Well there is the odd ball chance of an accident/construction, and it has happened where it recommended the alternate route and kept me out of trouble.

I just downloaded this app and I am waiting to use it on my next road trip when I know I will have to use a TESLA Supercharger. Looks pretty good

Reactions: Halldawg and Ormond
The only problem with that , particularly in the crowded UK, is that you won’t get a “advance warning“ of traffic jams.
I can't speak, the UK experience, but I have my MY set to reroute if it saves more than 2 minutes. Earlier this month, we were on a road trip and the freeway was closed in all lanes due to an accident with a fatality. The Tesla navigation system, matched Google's (or whatever my SIL was using on his iPhone) continually changing route instructions in real time, turn for turn. They both changed the recommended route 4 times in less than an half hour.

I currently never use navigation to get to familiar spots; I only do so for road trips.
I have a summer home, and the route to and from is most times very very busy. So I use Waze to navigate around the traffic and for police alerts. Waze does a great job at displaying alternate routes so I'll pick the one I think will be the most scenic and still get me there in good time.
I only use the Tesla navigation when I'm looking for a supercharger. And even then, when you type in the search bar 'supercharger', it displays superchargers in a random order (often the furthest one is at the top of the list).
So personally, I prefer to use Waze.

I only use the Tesla navigation when I'm looking for a supercharger. And even then, when you type in the search bar 'supercharger', it displays superchargers in a random order (often the furthest one is at the top of the list).
Try tapping on Navigation and then Charging and see if the list of Superchargers shows up in a more useful sort order.

• Informative
Reactions: GalacticHero
I've been wondering about the way current owners tend to use their navigation app for everyday driving. I'm still waiting for my Y, due next month or September and I am curious how my first Tesla might change my habits in that sense.

For example, I currently never use navigation to get to familiar spots; I only do so for road trips.
I never used it on cars but I swipe down now everyday so it sets work and then sets home. The traffic has helped me a couple times on my 100 mile daily commute and routed me differently if there's trouble ahead. It's not perfect I was stuck in construction recently but I have avoided some messy accidents.
I think i have mine set to a 10min delay will reroute me.
It's so easy and when the nav is speaking you can use the steering wheel volume control to lower the voice if you don't want to hear it loudly because you know the route.

Reactions: HellsKitchen
Is there a way to send a route you chose in Google Maps or Apple Maps to the car, not just the final address?
I don't want to take the route that the car chooses.
If you're doing google maps on your phone you can select the share option and send it to your tesla app. I'm almost positive that it saves the customization you've done and not just the final destination. I have a Samsung so not sure about apple maps.

I've been wondering about the way current owners tend to use their navigation app for everyday driving. I'm still waiting for my Y, due next month or September and I am curious how my first Tesla might change my habits in that sense.

For example, I currently never use navigation to get to familiar spots; I only do so for road trips.
We have a 2020 and moslty do short drives into town for shopping. I generally just use the cruise control and occasionally the lane help. We tired to sign up for the Beta testing for the fFSD, which we paid for, but never got a high enough score to be accepted into he program.

When you have the route up, hit the 3 dots, then settings. The volume and the mute button will be available. Whatever changes you make here should be remembered (I toggle this as needed).
I believe you can also increase/decrease the volume with the scroll wheel when the nav is speaking to you and it will save as the default volume. Easy to do when you can actually hear it, but if already muted, then just change volume right when you are about to turn.

I believe you can also increase/decrease the volume with the scroll wheel when the nav is speaking to you and it will save as the default volume. Easy to do when you can actually hear it, but if already muted, then just change volume right when you are about to turn.
So I've definitely taken these steps. But the Nav will still often (not always, but 50%+ of the time) go back to muting directions when starting a new drive. Very annoying.

Is it because I use bluetooh at times for Spotify or a call while I'm starting Nav? And then it goes to mute?

So I've definitely taken these steps. But the Nav will still often (not always, but 50%+ of the time) go back to muting directions when starting a new drive. Very annoying.

Is it because I use bluetooh at times for Spotify or a call while I'm starting Nav? And then it goes to mute?
I think the issue is that you need to actually click the button (the speaker box to the right of the volume slider) to unmute it as that should save to your profile when you do it. Volume changes do not.

I think the issue is that you need to actually click the button (the speaker box to the right of the volume slider) to unmute it as that should save to your profile when you do it. Volume changes do not.
It's funny I was just thinking about this during a call. I was talking to my wife on the phone while I was driving in an unfamiliar area with Nav on. I don't like that it doesn't announce turn by turn while on the phone. I still need it sometimes. I saw a speaker muted in the nav options and turned the volume up but I don't believe it turned them back on. She had to go though before the next turn. I made a test call and it did immediately mute nav again.

I'll have to play around with it again and keep her on the phone. It would be nice if there was a toggle to allow turn by turn voice while on calls or streaming from your phone.