Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners "ICEing" Public Chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was ICEd by Teslas at Montgomery Mall the other day. Both super chargers and the wall chargers we plugged into cars and weren't charging. (not dealer cars) Nobody came out to move their cars to give others access. Tesla, ICE you can't teach courtesy.

I did find someone left a note 2 months ago who thought my Tesla was sitting too long at the Bethesda supercharger. What they probably didn't realize is that supercharger is terribly slow. It was charging the whole 2 hours, just to get enough for my trip. I wish it was faster, but not all superchargers can move in 30 minutes.

I was wondering what was proper to do at a hotel. Say you get there at 6pm and your car is done charging at 1am. Obviously your car will be at the same spot till the next morning when you leave say , 10am? What do you ? Get up at 1am and move it ? I don't think so... how is this handled or should be handled ?
I typically use PlugShare. It's the most popular I've found, and recommended on tesla's website. There are many apps
I see this all the time at work by a Leaf owner who feels the Chargepoints are reserved parking for his/her EV. Pisses me off to no end. It's bad enough when a gas-car ICEs us, but parking w/o charging an EV is really being an EVhole!

EVhole, I learned a new word today. The issue has become political around here. Parking lot owners don't like having spots stay empty. In some cases They want to intice EV owners to their business, but don't want to lose ICE business. But almost all businesses really just wanted that EV charging equipment tax incentive. That's why they don't care if the chargers don't work, are blocked or are broke. They will protest any laws for "EV charging only" signs, towing or fines. EV owners who need a charge are generally screwed. It's only going to get worse as more EVholes buy cars. Early adopters like us we're all respectful and deeply understand issues and etiquette. Once the mass market buys EV's, you get the ignorant folks by the millions.

Reactions: Cyclone
I typically use PlugShare. It's the most popular I've found, and recommended on tesla's website. There are many apps

EVhole, I learned a new word today. The issue has become political around here. Parking lot owners don't like having spots stay empty. In some cases They want to intice EV owners to their business, but don't want to lose ICE business. But almost all businesses really just wanted that EV charging equipment tax incentive. That's why they don't care if the chargers don't work, are blocked or are broke. They will protest any laws for "EV charging only" signs, towing or fines. EV owners who need a charge are generally screwed. It's only going to get worse as more EVholes buy cars. Early adopters like us we're all respectful and deeply understand issues and etiquette. Once the mass market buys EV's, you get the ignorant folks by the millions.
AOL all over again. :confused:

If you absolutely do not want someone from disconnecting you, you can use something like this: CapturePro Charging Lock for Tesla Model S to lock the j1772 plug to the Tesla adaptor.

Thanks for posting that. $45 for a 7-cent plastic part is a steep margin, but factoring in design costs against probably low production quantities (How many Tesla owners must contend with J1772, anyway?) and the fact that it would pay for itself the first time it prevented you from being unplugged (although you would not likely know it) and stranded, it's probably worth it.

AOL?
Care to 'splain?
When the internet was young, before it was allowed to be used for commercial purposes, it was an ideal place to learn, communicate and work. The newsgroups (aka forums) had etiquette rules that everyone abided by and Email too had good etiquette rules (no spam).

Then AOL opened up access to UseNet (~ September 1993) to all their users, and hell was unleashed. This is known as the Eternal September.

Okay, I realize that I'm showing my age...

When the internet was young, before it was allowed to be used for commercial purposes, it was an ideal place to learn, communicate and work. The newsgroups (aka forums) had etiquette rules that everyone abided by and Email too had good etiquette rules (no spam).

Then AOL opened up access to UseNet (~ September 1993) to all their users, and hell was unleashed. This is known as the Eternal September.

Okay, I realize that I'm showing my age...

OK, maybe they should have kept the whole system access command line too, just to keep out the rabble. :)

Some hotels have valets which will move the car. In places without valets, you could leave a note on the dash with your phone number so they could contact you if they had to charge during the night.
That's what I did at the only limited access Level 2 charge station I have used. It was at Jackson Lake Lodge where the gas station has a single 14-50 for guests. I left the car there overnight twice and left a note on the dashboard with my phone and room number if anyone (including the station owner) needed me to move the car. Didn't get a call... no other Tesla's in the area.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I would have done the same thing, plus maybe leaving the other X a note about not unplugging other people's cars.

I used to be friendlier at public chargers, but I have been unplugged so many times now that my patience wears thin. I avoid them now and drive on gas instead (sad as that is). When I get my S I will probably buy the lock mentioned here. BTW, I never leave my car parked in a charging spot once it's done charging, so the lock shouldn't be an issue.

Fellow Volt guy, I assume? I just got mine last month to tide me over until the III (or a CPO S or X, depending on the options available for the III). Love the car, but real head scratcher why Chevy didn't include a charge lock like my Leaf had. It's also annoying as hell to only have the 3 kWh charger. At least have a quicker charger available as an option; the gas extender is there for backup, but that doesn't mean that me and I'm sure many other Volt owners don't want to minimize their gas use.

Fellow Volt guy, I assume? I just got mine last month to tide me over until the III (or a CPO S or X, depending on the options available for the III). Love the car, but real head scratcher why Chevy didn't include a charge lock like my Leaf had. It's also annoying as hell to only have the 3 kWh charger. At least have a quicker charger available as an option; the gas extender is there for backup, but that doesn't mean that me and I'm sure many other Volt owners don't want to minimize their gas use.

Yup. We are the bane of public chargers apparently. If someone's going to get unplugged, the Volt is always the first choice.

Worst time was when another VOLT owner unplugged me. I was hot. I unplugged them and put the charger back on the rack left them a note then I left. Not my finest moment, but I was mad at the time. They had unplugged me just a few minutes after I walked away (based on my SOC). Afterwards I looked at the plugshare comments for that L2 and it was the Wild West. People getting unplugged constantly.