Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alabama

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are a Tesla owner in Alabama, let me ask a few things to learn from your experience:

- What service center do you use? Atlanta?
- Do you have to pay hundreds of $$ for transporting your car each time it goes in for service? Or are you one of the lucky ones whose Ranger service is free?
- Have you had an instance where the car was non-drivable and you had to have it transported by flatbed at your own expense?

I had been planning to buy a Tesla in the spring, but all the horror stories on this forum, plus the fact that I am 205 miles from closest SC (in Marietta, I think), have caused me to re-think this.

Comments?

If you are a Tesla owner in Alabama, let me ask a few things to learn from your experience:

- What service center do you use? Atlanta?
- Do you have to pay hundreds of $$ for transporting your car each time it goes in for service? Or are you one of the lucky ones whose Ranger service is free?
- Have you had an instance where the car was non-drivable and you had to have it transported by flatbed at your own expense?

I had been planning to buy a Tesla in the spring, but all the horror stories on this forum, plus the fact that I am 205 miles from closest SC (in Marietta, I think), have caused me to re-think this.

Comments?
i am interested in this as well.

AB4EJ,
While I'm no longer in AL, I was there in 2013-2014. I used the Marietta SC and had my car picked up in Montgomery (via truck and trailer) by Tesla 2 or 3 times at no charge to me. I agree with Electricfan that checking directly with the service center should answer your questions. I would hope that Tesla would still give those service options to you as well.

Good Luck!!

Have you called Tesla and talked about this? What did they tell you? Seems like if they want to sell cars in AL they have to make cost of routine service reasonable.

Based on reading the standard Terms & Conditions for Tesla Roadside Assistance, this does not appear to be the case. If your Tesla breaks down (not drivable) more than 50 miles from a service center, you are responsible for the difference. So, for me, assuming such a problem were to happen near my home, I would have to cover the cost of a 150 mile tow to Atlanta (I have not been able to find information online yet on how much this might cost, but I'd guess $750 to $1000).

Now, some options I have considered:

There is a AAA Premium available in some areas which allows for up to one 200-mile tow per year. I am going to check to see if this is available in AL.
It might be possible to get a special rider on auto insurance to cover this; I am also going to check into that.

I'd like to get some responses from Tesla owners in AL (or Mississippi, or Arkansas - same type of situation).

With regard to Teslas being sold in the state - the central deep south is not someplace the Tesla is focusing on; the culture of the area does not lean toward electric vehicles, or anything green for that matter; also lower per-capita income; both of these point to low potential sales in this market. (As an aside, the Supercharger page projects superchargers both in Huntsville and Birmingham by the end of 2015, but so far I have not found permit applications for either.) What's interesting is that there are already quite a few Teslas in the state (something less than 100) - I wish I could hear from some of these owners, to learn their experiences.

Alabama Power owns at least a few Model Ss. If anyone has a contact partner there (i.e., Southern Company), maybe they might talk to us...

Hey guys, for $5 or $10 a year you can have Roadside Assistance (including flatbedding) added to your insurance program and not have to worry about a thing! That covers breakdowns but not regular servicing. But hey, take a day off and go for a pleasurable ride.

In December 2013 the deal offered was Ranger Service Subscription: $100/year, must be purchased with the car. I live in Madison and for the first annual service the Nashville/Franklin service center (95 miles away) came and got my car, left a loaner with 21" wheels and speed limit sign recognition.

I learned the speed limit sign thing was OK, but really prefer my 19" wheels.

I'm in Birmingham and have been researching a new Tesla for about 2 years. (Looking to finally pull the trigger in the next month or so) I have business clients in Atlanta so all of my contact has been with the sales/service center there in Marietta.

I would really like to meet some other Tesla owners in the area to discuss their experiences. PM me.