Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else heard about this?

The second Carl's Jr in Calgary opens tomorrow at 2791- 32 Ave NE. Rumour is, they are also going to have a Tesla charger on the side of the building.

That's consistent with the info I got from the store that the SC station will be along the QE2 in the NE.
This would fit a lot of the criteria - close to the Highway 1/QE2 intersection and a spot with lots of restaurants. Tons of restaurants right around there and Sunridge Mall is there too. It would make sense but maybe they just meant a HPWC and not a Supercharger. Has Carls Jr set up HPWC in the past at other locations? Seems a bit odd they would do this on their own but more power to them if they are.

I certainly hope they meant HPWC, it's a positively HORRIBLE spot for a supercharger, it's nowhere near any major highway, and the traffic along 32nd isn't great at the best of times..

If the Supercharger is for long distance travel, and not for locals, it NEEDS to be on the ring road. My recommendation would be CrossIron Mills, or the new development near COP,

That said, the rumour I've heard is Deerfoot City (I feel the source was pretty reliable), while not necessarily as good as the other locations I mentioned, it would still be a pretty decent choice as it's on Deerfoot and not too too far from Stoney trail

I certainly hope they meant HPWC, it's a positively HORRIBLE spot for a supercharger, it's nowhere near any major highway, and the traffic along 32nd isn't great at the best of times..

If the Supercharger is for long distance travel, and not for locals, it NEEDS to be on the ring road. My recommendation would be CrossIron Mills, or the new development near COP,

That said, the rumour I've heard is Deerfoot City (I feel the source was pretty reliable), while not necessarily as good as the other locations I mentioned, it would still be a pretty decent choice as it's on Deerfoot and not too too far from Stoney trail

Thought about @green1 comments about CrossIron Mills, the ring road and Deerfoot City.

CrossIron Mills would really help for travel from Red Deer to Canmore in January and -25c with a MS60 as well as convenient for Red Deer to Fort MacLeod. Travelling to Deerfoot City then back to the ring road to continue to Canmore would add almost 20 minutes to the trip but much much better than what there is now.

Deerfoot City would "encourage" you to travel through Calgary on Deerfoot on your way south instead of using the ring road and avoiding all the rush hour traffic on Deerfoot Trail. CrossIron Mills and Deerfoot City would be equally inconvenient for Canmore to Fort MacLeod.

COP would be okay for Red Deer to Canmore direction and Canmore to Fort MacLeod, but not for Red Deer to Fort MacLeod.

No perfect single location, but my wife loves shopping at CrossIron Mills so she would never mind waiting for a charge.

Reactions: doubeld
COP wouldn't be bad for Red Deer to Ft Macleod once the ring road is done.

That said, Deerfoot city is by far the most credible location I've heard so far, it's "close enough" to the major highways, the new evolution of the mall is lots of restaurants and such, and they redid the entire power infrastructure as part of the redevelopment (new transmission lines along deerfoot and all.) If I had to guess I'd say NW corner of the lot near the new power transformers.

But we won't know for sure until some big wooden crates show up....

Well I think Deerfoot city would be the best "average" for both the North-South and East-West traffic. Might also be good for those that need to top up after parking at the airport for a long time (I've written the airport a few times and am not optimistic anything will be there for EVs.)
At the airport use park and jet, when you get to the gate request a plug in. It's only 120v, but when you're gone any length of time that's pretty much enough.
(Don't bother with the plugs in the airport long term parking, they don't seem to actually turn those on)

• Informative
Reactions: derekasch
I live really close to Deerfoot City, so I'll be on the lookout. No crates in the NE corner of the parking lot from my last visit to the dentist.

Agreed, it's a good location. Not perfect, but pretty good. If they put one at COP, its quite the detour if you're going North-South.

Balzac --> Hwy 2A turn off to Okotoks is 53km via Deerfoot or 4km more via the east ring road
Balzac --> Hwy 2A turn off to Okotoks will be approx 75km via Ring road West

At Deerfoot City, it adds about a 9 km/10 minute detour if you're going from Red Deer to Canmore. There is practically zero detour going Red Deer to Fort Macleod unless you're in afternoon rush hour traffic.
Going from Fort Macleod to Canmore however, Deerfoot City is a 17km, but only 10 min detour.

All in all, I think it's a good compromise. Being a fancy new shopping center though in a large urban center, it definitely will get used for local charging. May not be as big of a deal since we still don't have the numbers yet, but being behind the curve affords us the time to get infrastructure and policies in place to mitigate that. I think it would behoove Tesla to put up a "Best practices" sign at all Super Charger stations to prevent unnecessary and problematic local charging.

I still want to know where the Store/Service Center is going to go. If they put it by the Lambo dealership off of Blackfoot/Heritage they could add another few stalls there too fixing the Canmore --> Fort Macleod route :)

• Informative
Reactions: derekasch
Scratched my belly again...
There is a very large crosswalk/sidewalk/speed bump in the parking lot of Woodbine Square, south of the Shoppers Drug store. It was my first time there and I didn't see how big it was in the shadows.
Suspension was in normal.
Only other place in Calgary that I have hit bottom is the Johnny B's Car and Truck Wash in Country Hills.
View attachment 197188
Damn! That's frustrating. It's interesting that you mention Johnny B's Car and Truck Wash in Country Hills, because that's the first (and I pray the last) time I ever bottomed out my car! I was cursing like a sailor. Now my car comes out of the car wash looking like this:
halloween-black-cat-clipart-clipart-panda-free-clipart-images-0CiRQ4-clipart.jpg

COP wouldn't be bad for Red Deer to Ft Macleod once the ring road is done.
I was going to say exactly this. However, they still don't have a finalized date for its completion, except to say they'd like it done by Fall of 2021. Also, if they still plan to make every supercharger solar powered, that area has its own foggy microclimate due to COP's snow generators.

• Funny
Reactions: int32_t and Lon12
  • Informative
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
CarlsJRCar.JPG
CarlsJrCalgary indicated on New Carl's Jr Opens Tomorrow • /r/Calgary that the Tesla charger should be up within the week. Sounds more like a HPWC.

I agree with @green1 that CrossIron Mills or a location along the ring road would be best for Calgary supercharger.
Just posted it on Plugshare:
Carl's Jr | Calgary, AB | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Of course it was ICEd but if you are in an emergency you could park where I did in front of the dumpster and move if the garbage truck showed up.