Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first post .The question that I have for people at the moment is if people feel the subzero package is really worth it for those of us here in Alberta. I initially thought it was, but after reading through this thread it sounds like there are a few people that don't have the option. Greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts.Cheers
Welcome to the TESLA FAMILY. I think you still have some time on hand for heated passenger seats...my 3 kids are older and they use it more than me or my wife.

I looked at the cold weather package quite a bit. At the time I bought it was one of the few "reasonably priced" packages. That said, it also included:
- rear heated seats (my daughter was 5 months old, it'll be a while before she can use a heated seat)
- heated wipers (the wipers aren't heated, instead it's a strip on the windshield, my old vehicle had the same feature, it was useless)
- heated washer jets (use appropriate fluid and that shouldn't be an issue)

Since that time, they've added the heated steering wheel. I honestly thought that was pretty gimmicky, until I had a loaner with it. It was zero degrees and raining that day, and the heated steering wheel on my cold wet hands was just heaven! The heated steering wheel would be worth the package to me, but it's the only worthwhile feature in it IMO

Just in case it helps anyone and sorry for not adding this in my last post, but I forgot to mention that I am a big fan of Nokian's winter tires and note that we have been using their winter tires on our cars for well over ten years and have been very happy with them in all conditions.

Welcome! Even here in not so cold GVA the heated seats are used often, especially by wife and son who just graduated out of his booster seat but still sits in the back. Also FYI am running WRG3 on the Model S and previous vehicles, (used to live in Calgary so also know winter ;)), they are performing well.

This is my first post and want to thank everyone for all the great information on this thread so far it has been very helpful. Also want to send a special thanks to Tomanik for responding to a question that I had. Not only did he reply to me very quickly, but also shared with me a lot of other great information.

I will likely be buying a MS in the coming months and am currently spending my time reading and learning as much as I can. While my current car (Lexus LS 460) has been such a solid car (I think I had really only one warranty issue for a front strut I believe) for the last 9 years, I'm starting to think it may be time for a change and the Tesla is really starting to appeal to me.

The question that I have for people at the moment is if people feel the subzero package is really worth it for those of us here in Alberta. I initially thought it was, but after reading through this thread it sounds like there are a few people that don't have the option. Greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Cheers

Yes. Welcome! Good question and why this is such a great place to meet and learn from others.
I also have the subzero package. My kids have never had heated seats before so there was some pressure from them to finally have them included. :)
I'm always preheating the cabin using the Tesla App, so I really don't find the heated seats much of a benefit. The car is always warm inside when I arrive. Snow just slides off the windows. If you intend on getting into a cold car or have range issues then the heated seats and steering wheel would help.
For my next car I would really like air conditioned seats for the summer as I'm always perspiring on long trips.
The front window heat seems to work very well. Here are some pictures I took last year. It was -6 when I turned the heat on and in five minutes it had already warmed up to +25. You can't leave your wipers up in the air like other cars so if there is a lot of freezing rain or ice around the blades it does help minimize the time it takes to get going.
The heated windshield washer nozzle with the subzero package is the "water pistol stream" like nozzle. I find them very hard to adjust adequately for all driving speeds. On a warm chinook day in Calgary I can go through a whole jug of fluid trying to clean the windows. I was told the "fan" spray type are only available for non subzero cars. Maybe someone who has them can comment on if they are any better.
windowheatcold.JPG
windowheathot.JPG

Reactions: Zapped
Greatly appreciate the responses thank you, while I do enjoy my heated steering wheel in my current car, it is something I can easily go without (I go from heated garage to heard garage 80 percent of the time in the winter). My two kids will be in child seats or booster seats for at least another three years and so I don't think the heated rear seats would be all that useful at the moment.

Thanks for your comments as this helps me move a little closer. I will try to keep my eyes open for your upcoming meets and will likely take a trip to the store today to check out a couple of things.

I have two kids 12 & 13 years old. They rarely ask for heated seats (usually only after some outdoor activity). Plus the inconvenience of having the driver or front passenger engage the heated seats is weird. I wish they came with controls in the back like the German cars. On the same note I wish it came with controls in the back and the touchscreen controls up front - best of both worlds.

I drive clients around often so I will preheat the seats to setting #1 (low) but I'm surprised how many people don't like the heated seats.

According to Nokian, only the R2 is low rolling resistance. (Of their "winter" tires)
I had the 8s (studdlesss) on my last ICE vehicle, great tires, but I did notice an efficiency hit of about 20% (Probably mostly due to colder weather, but I really did feel that the tires contributed as well) whereas with the R2 on my Tesla I notice basically no efficiency change at tire change, (though winter still is less efficient than summer for other reasons)
I keep forgetting to check the Hakka 8s but I'm pretty sure they don't say low rolling resistance and I assume you must be correct. I was trying to remember why I ended up with the 8s and I was reminded that with the tires that are available locally, I either had to get 4 x 275 if I bought R2s or 4 x 265 if I got Hakka 8s. Thus, presumably the difference may not be that great anyway. In any event it's good to have the "twin mobile" with these excellent winter performers and we have no plans for any long trips at this point. My other vehicle has blizzaks which are also pretty good, though presumably we would tend to use the X with its Hakka 8s for any extreme conditions.

I believe that when Nokian comes out with a new tire they don't allows have a great selection of sizes for the first year or so. I saw this when I bought my last set and ended up going with a slightly older Hakka as there was a much greater selection.

For the 8s, they do note that it has a lower rolling resistance than its predecessor, but don't believe it is to the level of the R2.

Reactions: gpetti
Thanks for the advice from everyone earlier as I just bought a 2015 85d.

I'm actually just getting my Nokian R2 installed now and noticed the Nokian LT2 winter tire for SUVs. Based on what I see it's rolling resistance is noted as excellent compared to the R2 SUV but not as good on ice (3.5 stars vs 4.5 stars). The funny thing i noticed is that it's rolling resistance is even higher rated than the R2 non SUV version.

Might be one to consider.

Congrats and welcome to the "family" (insert Godfather voice here). If you haven't already, sign up on the Tesla Owners Club of Alberta for information on events and meetups.

Tesla Owners Club Canada

Thank you I have learned a lot since joining here now and for the past few weeks have been really enjoying my new car (especially the convienence of not being to a gas station).

I have now added a few things from the online store and still need to find: some new 19 inch rims for the summer, a wall charger, the tire repair kit, and the sunshades (for some reason the ones on the site say for vehicles manufactured before jun 2015 and while I have the old style front I'm not sure what has changed?). Hoping that buying things from the store ends soon. The only other thing I have been going back and forth on is whether or not to add xpel.

The car has been great and while the fit and finish is not on par with my previous car, I have no complaints with the experience at all. In fact I have been trying to think of ways to find one for my wife now.

I will definitely sign up and appreciate the welcome and the invitation.

Until gas goes up to $2/liter, most people will not care one bit about about driving an ICE. Climate regulations and controls get really, really wonky the colder of an environment you live in. That's the nature of the beast for Saskatchewan and Alberta with no good renewable baseload power unfortunately.
Fat chance getting me to stop idling my ICE in the winter. Oh, and my car didn't come with a block heater :) Not that those things are good for the power bill either.

So we received the "climate leadership plan" flyer in the mail today. I see nothing about promoting EVs in it. Just advice about driving an ICE:
-Check your tire pressure.
-Use a block heater.
-Avoid idling.
:(
Yah, that should solve the problems of the world... I'll go check my tire pressure now [rolls eyes].

I would welcome some serious solar retrofit rebates for adding solar and converting to electric (heating as well as electricity) for existing homeowners and also for builders. This would be a great way for builders to distinguish themselves - by adding solar in their homes.

About five years ago the City of Edmonton had a rebate program where they would pay for 1/3 of the cost of the solar modules (not installation or the inverter). Solar prices have dropped so much since then that it's cheaper now without the rebate than it was then, with the rebate! At some point, rebate or no, there's just no excuse for making a house without net-zero grade insulation and a south facing roof, making it energy efficient and solar-ready. I think building codes should change to require better insulation, since it's not hard to do on a new construction.

I've adjusted my expectations on housing significantly over the past two years - my "dream home" is now much smaller and efficiency is more important than esthetics to me. It isn't about the cost as much as trying to "do the right thing". My wife and I talk about building a small, efficient home in the inner city all the time. One day we will and have 2-3 Teslas in the garage. Solar will power nearly all of our needs (hopefully Tesla roof will be available soon).

(hopefully Tesla roof will be available soon).
You'll be glad to know that exactly the same thing has been available for many years now. I've seen several houses with it, and there are 2 completely different approaches, there are solar shingles, they look a lot more like normal shingles and are installed in a similar way, and there are solar roofing panels which are more like standing seam metal roofing (cheaper and easier to install, but not quite as aesthetically pleasing)

No reason to wait for Tesla's version, I haven't seen any reason to believe that Tesla's solar roof will be any better than what's already on the market.

• Informative
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
You'll be glad to know that exactly the same thing has been available for many years now. I've seen several houses with it, and there are 2 completely different approaches, there are solar shingles, they look a lot more like normal shingles and are installed in a similar way, and there are solar roofing panels which are more like standing seam metal roofing (cheaper and easier to install, but not quite as aesthetically pleasing)

No reason to wait for Tesla's version, I haven't seen any reason to believe that Tesla's solar roof will be any better than what's already on the market.
Product name ? / link ?