Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the heating in the Model S. It was -27˚C at our place this morning but I was getting close to +60˚C heat out of the top vents.
IMG_4872.JPG
IMG_4871.JPG

Reactions: Footbag and int32_t
Model S.... All but a distant memory for you now eh? I don't know how you survive without a Tesla. I think I would get withdrawal sickness if I did that. Let me know if you ever need to go for a drive. :)
I have major withdrawal symptoms. Forgot how nice it is to be able to pre-heat a vehicle amongst other things you just get used to in a Tesla. I've nearly been side-swiped a few times because I forget I don't have instant acceleration when attempting a left turn.

Product name ? / link ?
There are several, here's an article about them: Sun Roof: Solar Panel Shingles Come Down in Price, Gain in Popularity
Instead of listing many of them, try a google search for "solar roof shingles -tesla" (the -tesla part gets rid of all the hype about Tesla's solar roof, and mostly gives you only the ones that already actually exist)
If you're not hung up on the "shingle" look, google for "roof integrated solar -tesla" to see some other options like the standing seam ones, and other form factors that provide the same dual roofing/solar benefit.

Ok. I've never had a problem with my foot heat but maybe its my "sensible" shoes I wear. :)
I just took a look at the hot air vent for the drivers side. Now I can see why you might not be getting your feet warm.
The vent holes do not direct the airflow down to your feet. The air is flowing at an angle so it hits the side wall. I think it is in need of a deflector so that the air is directed more towards your accelerator pedal. The other problem is that you cannot select only foot air. The climate control that shows the arrow to your feet also directs a lot of the air flow to the windshield. The only way to maximize the foot air is to select the foot heat and upper vents. That turns off the windshield heat. You can then close the upper vents manually by sliding them all the way in the direction of the closest side windows. There is an actual valve behind the louver that gets closed in that position.
You can see from the FLIR image that the foot area under the pedals does not get any direct heat. I guess with autopilot on you could always move your feet over to the warm side. ;)
DriverHotAirFlow.jpg

DriverHeatVents.jpg DriverFootVentsAngle.jpg
The long narrow slot is closest to the accelerator but the airflow maintains the angle of the supply tube. I think I will try and fabricate an air deflector and see if I can direct the air straight down from that slot.

Ok. I've never had a problem with my foot heat but maybe its my "sensible" shoes I wear. :)
I just took a look at the hot air vent for the drivers side. Now I can see why you might not be getting your feet warm.
The vent holes do not direct the airflow down to your feet. The air is flowing at an angle so it hits the side wall. I think it is in need of a deflector so that the air is directed more towards your accelerator pedal. The other problem is that you cannot select only foot air. The climate control that shows the arrow to your feet also directs a lot of the air flow to the windshield. The only way to maximize the foot air is to select the foot heat and upper vents. That turns off the windshield heat. You can then close the upper vents manually by sliding them all the way in the direction of the closest side windows. There is an actual valve behind the louver that gets closed in that position.
You can see from the FLIR image that the foot area under the pedals does not get any direct heat. I guess with autopilot on you could always move your feet over to the warm side. ;)
View attachment 205749
View attachment 205750 View attachment 205751
The long narrow slot is closest to the accelerator but the airflow maintains the angle of the supply tube. I think I will try and fabricate an air deflector and see if I can direct the air straight down from that slot.
That would explain it! Compound this by the fact that the seals aren't that great around the doors and when driving on the highway in winter a lot of that heat along the doors is bypassing the foot area completely. I'll need some advice on your sensible footwear (ski socks should help I suppose). This is where someone should chime in shortly with, "This is unacceptable for a $150k+ luxury car...". :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Lon12
I've installed it. Some useful model X improvements. Now you can close all doors with three quick button presses (always works even if you have the single button press disabled). Also if you click twice (driver door opens) then click twice again, the passenger door opens. Also if you hold down the top button as you approach the car, you can disable the auto door feature (for 30 seconds). There are other treats I won't mention here, though I have had some problems with the new EQ settings. Initially the EQ didn't seem to work at all then it seemed the system was slow to start up the next time I entered the car and then all the sliders had reset to 7.5 but then they worked.

• Informative
Reactions: int32_t
Updated yesterday. New stereo EQ (can't really hear a difference but haven't spent much time playing with it), fob profiles (doesn't matter to me as my wife never drives the car), and Supercharger amenities. Might help if travelling outside of Alberta but if you've done the Edmtonton/Calgary drive more than once, not really much suspense there.

Updated yesterday. New stereo EQ (can't really hear a difference but haven't spent much time playing with it), fob profiles (doesn't matter to me as my wife never drives the car), and Supercharger amenities. Might help if travelling outside of Alberta but if you've done the Edmtonton/Calgary drive more than once, not really much suspense there.
I think the EQ may have a few problems - seems to keep resetting apart from anything else. I've had a couple of times when the car seemed to be taking a long time for the system to power up (despite only being vacated for 10 minutes or so) and following this long startup, the EQ settings were all set to the same number (7.5 the first time, 8 another time and today 10). When I first tried it, it didn't even seem like the EQ sliders were working at all. Now it at least seems to do something, just not sure why it keeps reseting.

I think the EQ may have a few problems - seems to keep resetting apart from anything else. I've had a couple of times when the car seemed to be taking a long time for the system to power up (despite only being vacated for 10 minutes or so) and following this long startup, the EQ settings were all set to the same number (7.5 the first time, 8 another time and today 10). When I first tried it, it didn't even seem like the EQ sliders were working at all. Now it at least seems to do something, just not sure why it keeps reseting.
Yes, I have found this as well. I think it keeps the setting for whatever the highest-frequency range is set to, and makes that the default for all. Is that consistent with what you're seeing?

I compiled a (rather lengthy) video of our recent adventure reaching zero KMs left in our car, and included some stats at the end which may be of interest to some:

Comments in Youtube offer shortcut links to a couple of the interesting sections, if you aren't in the mood for watching all 37 minutes LOL.

With the recent talk about cold feet, the stats from that drive were quite interesting. The car was apparently at about 15C inside, yet as mentioned, our feet were cold. What I found most interesting is that the interior temp shot up noticeably when I slowed from 110km/h to 100km/h (or that at least appears to be the cause). I knew slowing down would be better for range, but I'm surprised it has such an impact on warmth (and with the heater having to work less, further improving range).

Reactions: Dax279 and Lon12