Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I am new to forum and have been following Tesla for many many years - dating back to the Roadster. I am now in a position where I am beginning research on the Model 3.

My basic inquiry is as follows:
- How would the pricing on the MOdel 3 add up. If I use the current pricing for options on the Model S and add that to the base cost of $35,000 USD, I end up at a total MSRP of $64,000 USD. This seems rather expensive!! Especially when you convert it to the poor CAD, I get a value of over $80,000CAD. For that price there are a lot of choices in performance cars. What would be a benefit if the Model 3 over the following performance cars in the $80k range - used Porsche 911, BMW M3, Mercedes C63 AMG, Lotus Evora, Nissan GTR (just to name a few).

YES, these are not sedans, yadda, yadda, yadda, but I really don't care, I am looking for something with performance, can be daily driven, can cope with my 18,000kms a year of driving.

The benefit is that it's kind of a sleeper...ish car. The Model 3 doesn't stick out like a Porsche, BMW, Lotus, etc. I think a benefit is that it's smaller and might make a better daily driver.
Also, it's quiet, clean, torquey. All round efficient. I test drove a recent model well tuned BMW 3 series and it would have stood no chance up against an 85D when I took those up to highway speeds. A Ludicrous Model 3 should perform even better.

All great points, but my biggest concern would be price. Tesla is labelling this as a $35k car, but in reality the Tesla is copying Porsche in that options can very quickly add up to be $30k.

Essentially, my point is that at $80k, the Model 3 is not the $35k affordable car that it is being marketed as. I could quite easily go out today and buy a Bolt, Volt or i3 and still keep 10's of thousands of dollars in my pocket.

I wouldn't be concerned until you actually have a chance to drive a Model 3. Then make your decision.
Elon made the point that you will not be able to buy a comparable ICE for the expected $35,000. The argument then is how much do you like being "hooked up" to the petrol pump station? The oil companies lost $2,800 of my business last year. I'm sure they didn't notice.
I looked at the i3 before I purchased an S. It really wasn't an option for me in Calgary. I've only seen one in the city.
I don't know if you can buy a Bolt in Calgary yet. I suspect not.
The Volt would be a good option but you are not getting the performance that you said you want.
Tesla is also the only company that says they care more about our future on this planet then profits.

I find driving an electric car quite magical and am more than happy to pay the extra "up front" for the future fuel/pollution savings.

I wouldn't be concerned until you actually have a chance to drive a Model 3. Then make your decision.
Elon made the point that you will not be able to buy a comparable ICE for the expected $35,000. The argument then is how much do you like being "hooked up" to the petrol pump station? The oil companies lost $2,800 of my business last year. I'm sure they didn't notice.
I looked at the i3 before I purchased an S. It really wasn't an option for me in Calgary. I've only seen one in the city.
I don't know if you can buy a Bolt in Calgary yet. I suspect not.
The Volt would be a good option but you are not getting the performance that you said you want.
Tesla is also the only company that says they care more about our future on this planet then profits.

I find driving an electric car quite magical and am more than happy to pay the extra "up front" for the future fuel/pollution savings.

All great points, but in Calgary there are very few choices available and I am coming from a history of driving a variety of different vehicle styles, types and horsepowers, yet most recently I have been leaning towards the performance category. I am trying to receive feedback from current BEV owners and make an educated decision. Right now I am torn between the Model 3 and the i3. The others are just there as a price reference.

I am not totally sure that the highlighted statement is true....especially when you see reports that the average profit margin on a Tesla is the highest of any manufacturer (over 20% profit).

I am sure we would see more i3's around Calgary if the Dilawri Group would have paid the $200,000 for the training, licensing and equipment for i branded BMW's when he spent the 10 million dollars on moving BMW Gallery to it's new location. Servicing is always a concern for most buyers, so the lack of service centre seems to keep people away from the i3. Styling is another reason there is very little acceptance, most North American's do not like or approve of a classic hatchback style.

All great points, but in Calgary there are very few choices available and I am coming from a history of driving a variety of different vehicle styles, types and horsepowers, yet most recently I have been leaning towards the performance category. I am trying to receive feedback from current BEV owners and make an educated decision. Right now I am torn between the Model 3 and the i3. The others are just there as a price reference.

The big difference between the i3 and the 3 is going to be range. The i3 has about half the range, but isn't that cheap at $43k. A base Model 3 will be around $46k. Yes, the options will pile on very quickly, but if an i3 is sufficient for your needs, then I'm pretty sure a base RWD, 60kWh Model 3 will be fine.

Reactions: doubeld
@e46jb - have you had an opportunity to drive a Model S? There are a few owners here who would be happy to give you some real-world experience (of course you can also test drive at Chinook).

Maybe I'll share with you some of my background and how I turned into a Tesla fan(natick!). Coming from "luxury brands" (BMW/Mercedes) in the past and being a "car guy" myself, I certainly count myself among the converted. I can say now that it is virtually impossible to compare a Model S to, say, a 6-series Gran Coupe from BMW. Both are about the same cost and size, both are sleek sedans and both perform well. That's where the similarities end. If you compare "on paper", the BMW has a way nicer interior (personal opinion) and prestige. This was the vehicle I was shopping for at the time - I also had a requirement of AWD. I wanted a car that wasn't too common either which the 6GC fit the bill for as you don't see too many around. I had seen the Tesla Model S online but it was only RWD at the time. October 11th(?), 2014 I woke up and saw that Telsa had just announced the "D" - which made the Tesla AWD. My mind was made up - I'm ordering a Tesla! It will be unique and a little more understated than the BMW and I was ready for something new. I kept reading and the Insane Mode was (as Lon pointed out) "icing on the cake".

I didn't really know what to expect but I ordered sight unseen - all the options - and received my car January 26, 2015. From that moment on, all other gas/diesel cars felt like dinosaurs... how could we have not progressed any further than this in over 100 years! The Tesla was/is light-years beyond the other vehicles on the road when it comes to overall driving experience. Because of this I am in the process of going all-electric - if you had told me 3 years ago I was going all electric I would have thought you were nuts!

I truly wish other options were out there with the similar electric platform so there were more choices but for now, the only real option for us is Tesla... and what a good option it is.

Not everyone has such a positive first impression - I'm surprised when others go for a test drive at the store and come back completely underwhelmed. Not sure why that is but I have certainly been in driving bliss since owning a Tesla.

Good luck with your decision... and if you do end up ordering one I hope to see you around at some of the local events!

Oh, and specifically to your question... It hasn't been shown yet that the options list for the Model 3 will mirror those of the Model S. Elon wants this to be an affordable mass-production car, not necessarily a smaller sports car. I HOPE that there is a cool high-performance model but I'm counting on affordability over refinement. I would say that you should expect that the Model 3 will be very comparable to the BMW 3-series lineup - an entry-level model at around $45,000 CDN and maxed-out performance model closer to $85k+ (I just checked and you can max out an M4 at $120k). So you could have fun with a used 911 or a Model 3... there are lots of options out there.

Do we even know what options will be for the Model 3? That is where I am at a loss, do I place a deposit and cancel because of pricey options, buy an i3 now and upgrade later or do I just wait and drive them both before making a final decision.

I feel there is a need to make an educated purchase, but yet make a decision that is not purely financial or emotional.

When I priced out a REx version of the i3, I ended up at a value of $62k before discounts and tax. If I were to take the BEV version, there would be a savings of ~$5k. I assume a low spec Model 3 can be had for similar pricing, but without seeing an options list, everything is speculation.

I am guessing the options on a model I would be happy with would resemble:

Base vehicle: $35k
Metallic Paint: $1250
Self Driving: $10k
Cold Weather Pkg: $1250
Hifi Sound: $3k
Premium Pkg: $4.5k
Glass Roof: $2k
Leather: $3k

Total: $60k USD

Oh, and specifically to your question... It hasn't been shown yet that the options list for the Model 3 will mirror those of the Model S. Elon wants this to be an affordable mass-production car, not necessarily a smaller sports car. I HOPE that there is a cool high-performance model but I'm counting on affordability over refinement. I would say that you should expect that the Model 3 will be very comparable to the BMW 3-series lineup - an entry-level model at around $45,000 CDN and maxed-out performance model closer to $85k+ (I just checked and you can max out an M4 at $120k). So you could have fun with a used 911 or a Model 3... there are lots of options out there.

Looks like we are posting at same time.....great feedback. Maybe I should take the Model S for a drive when I have time and am in Calgary (frequently travel with work). I did find the i3 to be surprising and exciting to drive, but the tall size made handling a bit of a let down, maybe it was also the poorly bolstered seats.

Hello everyone,

I am new to forum and have been following Tesla for many many years - dating back to the Roadster. I am now in a position where I am beginning research on the Model 3.

My basic inquiry is as follows:
- How would the pricing on the MOdel 3 add up. If I use the current pricing for options on the Model S and add that to the base cost of $35,000 USD, I end up at a total MSRP of $64,000 USD. This seems rather expensive!! Especially when you convert it to the poor CAD, I get a value of over $80,000CAD. For that price there are a lot of choices in performance cars. What would be a benefit if the Model 3 over the following performance cars in the $80k range - used Porsche 911, BMW M3, Mercedes C63 AMG, Lotus Evora, Nissan GTR (just to name a few).

YES, these are not sedans, yadda, yadda, yadda, but I really don't care, I am looking for something with performance, can be daily driven, can cope with my 18,000kms a year of driving.
I Sold my
@e46jb - have you had an opportunity to drive a Model S? There are a few owners here who would be happy to give you some real-world experience (of course you can also test drive at Chinook).

Maybe I'll share with you some of my background and how I turned into a Tesla fan(natick!). Coming from "luxury brands" (BMW/Mercedes) in the past and being a "car guy" myself, I certainly count myself among the converted. I can say now that it is virtually impossible to compare a Model S to, say, a 6-series Gran Coupe from BMW. Both are about the same cost and size, both are sleek sedans and both perform well. That's where the similarities end. If you compare "on paper", the BMW has a way nicer interior (personal opinion) and prestige. This was the vehicle I was shopping for at the time - I also had a requirement of AWD. I wanted a car that wasn't too common either which the 6GC fit the bill for as you don't see too many around. I had seen the Tesla Model S online but it was only RWD at the time. October 11th(?), 2014 I woke up and saw that Telsa had just announced the "D" - which made the Tesla AWD. My mind was made up - I'm ordering a Tesla! It will be unique and a little more understated than the BMW and I was ready for something new. I kept reading and the Insane Mode was (as Lon pointed out) "icing on the cake".

I didn't really know what to expect but I ordered sight unseen - all the options - and received my car January 26, 2015. From that moment on, all other gas/diesel cars felt like dinosaurs... how could we have not progressed any further than this in over 100 years! The Tesla was/is light-years beyond the other vehicles on the road when it comes to overall driving experience. Because of this I am in the process of going all-electric - if you had told me 3 years ago I was going all electric I would have thought you were nuts!

I truly wish other options were out there with the similar electric platform so there were more choices but for now, the only real option for us is Tesla... and what a good option it is.

Not everyone has such a positive first impression - I'm surprised when others go for a test drive at the store and come back completely underwhelmed. Not sure why that is but I have certainly been in driving bliss since owning a Tesla.

Good luck with your decision... and if you do end up ordering one I hope to see you around at some of the local events!

This, but I had a 5 Series BMW and was strongly Considering a new Audi S7, and once i made my decision i was worried i would regret it, but i don't, not even a little bit. i drove my % series a week after i got my Tesla and it felt like i traveled back in time. I love the S7, iI think it looks and performs awesome, interior is nicer then the Tesla, but maybe not as modern. I Don't think i can ever go back, the Tesla is such a nice car to drive.

I realize it is difficult to justify the price / performance / features etc when compared to Nice Gas Cars, but there is so much more to it then just that. If money is really the issue and you are not intrigued by the Tech and environmental aspect of the Tesla, then there may be options that suit your fancy better, but in my case, I can't think of any car even remotely close in price i would rather have! (ok, Maybe the Model X when i have a few extra kids to haul around...)

I am a lover of the technology, however, I am also a person who loves a new car every 18 months and will do whatever I can to be frugal with my spending. As the Tesla meets all of my requirements, I just have concerns about cost and the typical worry about range anxiety when making the transition - eventhugh I know it is more mental than fact.

Frugal and having a new car every 18 months seems mutually exclusive to me.

If you're on the 18 month side of things... go ahead and lease an i3 or a Volt. I can almost guarantee you you will not see a Model 3 in Calgary by then outside of the showroom.

If you're frugal, then perhaps you might be a bit like me. I own a 2008 Lancer - it's fairly fuel efficient. Bought it brand new for around $32,000. Hoped to drive it into the ground. I have put $21079.67 of gas into the car to this date. If someone would have told me I would put $25000 worth of gas into this car over 10 years I would have laughed and seriously doubted them - before I ran the calculations. So that is my justification to buying a $65,000 car when the 3 is released. Just as long as my current car makes it until then, and hopefully dies an emotional death just as soon as I take delivery :) (It's been great to me)

As for options and performance - I have no doubt the ~75kWh (assuming base of 55/60) Model 3 AWD version will perform pretty close to the Model S 85D that I test drove. If that's the case, I will be absolutely thrilled. I don't have a monster right now, but I'm looking for a performance bump. I don't know if Tesla will have all the same options, but if they do, I would suspect a ~20% decrease in cost over the Model S version of the option. Like others have said, the S is funding the development of the 3, and the 3 was built to directly compete with the German/high end Japanese cars.

Overall, $35K is the American price. Forget about that number. Think $45k. But if you're shopping around, be fair and add $3000 per year in gas costs to the ICEmobile.

I am currently at that pivotal 18 month point.....but I am trying to decide if I should run through with my current car and upgrade to the Model 3 (if I place deposit in next 3-6 months). Otherwise, I need to make a decision.

Short list for making a leap soon: Mercedes C43 AMG, BMW M240xi, 997 C4

We picked up a BMW X1 while we wait for the Model 3. It's a great little car in it's own right... but I can't wait for the Model 3!

Two "sedans" and a 2-seat P-car... interesting choices. The C43 is the largest and heaviest (fast in a straight at least) car. BMW is a good compromise - smaller and light, nimble and practical. 997 is just fun all the way (but not practical). Have fun choosing!