Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious to know how many Alberta owners are running with RWD vs AWD versions of their Tesla?
I don't think anyone knows exactly how many (besides Tesla) but it is my impression that in Alberta there were probably less than 30 RWD cars prior to the release of the first AWDs in December 2014. On this forum, there are a handful of owners though I'm not sure how active they are. AC1K is one of them. I drove a RWD from February 2014 until November 2014 and although I didn't really get the worst of winter, I didn't experience any issues though I did buy some good winter tires to make sure I gave the car the best possible chance. The car has plenty of weight over the rear wheels (between the batteries and the large electric motor over the rear wheels) and the traction control is pretty awesome. My decision to upgrade was due to my own personal prejudice towards AWD and if I'm honest the increased performance lured me in too.

Maintenance Plans
20170203_012757.png

Any one purchased the maintenance plans.

I am curious to know how many Alberta owners are running with RWD vs AWD versions of their Tesla?
I'm not a Tesla owner nor do I live in Alberta, but I am a huge enthusiast and I talk to many owners.

From what I hear, the RWD cars perform just fine. I met an owner from North Bay Ontario who has had his Model S 85 for 3 winters now and he said he said it was always smooth sailing in snowy conditions!

I'm sure every owner has a different story, but from what I gathered, a RWD Tesla does the job :)

6702 Fairmount Dr SE, Calgary

Let us know if you see anything at all. It's a building that used to be called "Sabre". I heard they haven't done much recently.
Thanks. .sales guy gave me the address. .he was quoting May opening. .showed the location of supercharges on Google maps just behind the building. They basically are keeping the 3 bays of sabre instruments.

• Informative
Reactions: derekasch and TLej
I'd like to talk to you more about this one day. I am an active member of a condo board and I also am in the process of developing a new condo building in Sunnyside. We have discussed adding EV charging and I've argued that they shouldn't be seperately metered as the draw is so little - or we add a common Sun Country type charger but not sure if you can buy ones that you can charge/meter per use? I'm interested in hearing a good solution for this. More people have EVs and Condos so this is becoming a challenge. Thank you.
Check these folks out as well; Addenergie. Canadian company. They have a very interesting network that may work instead of/in conjunction with sub-metering. SmartTWO | AddÉnergie
Disclosure: One of their minority owners is a friend of mine, and I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you. Message me if you want his contact info.

Edit: I saw you've looked at FLO. That is the residential side of the AddEnergie package

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Thanks. .sales guy gave me the address. .he was quoting May opening. .showed the location of supercharges on Google maps just behind the building. They basically are keeping the 3 bays of sabre instruments.
Thanks for the info, it's getting close!

I presume you drove down from Edmonton, and then had to drive back? I was on the 2 this weekend and the snow was pretty crazy. I'm very curious to know Autopilot would have been helpful in the following scenarios I encountered. If you happened to use Autopilot at all, maybe you'd have an idea how well this would go ...

Scenario 1:
Left lane completely white, visually indistinguishable from the ditch. Right lane filled with snowsnakes but generally bare. Road lines typically not visible. Then some idiot passes on the left, creating an impenetrable whiteout. You can't see anything; Autopilot's cameras (of course) can't see anything. Presumably the radar can track the car that just passed.
  • Does Autopilot help you stay on the road at all when this happens?

Scenario 2:
Left lane completely white, visually indistinguishable from the ditch. Right lane somewhat snowy. Large cloud of snow up ahead totally obscures both lanes (turns out to have a snowplow in the right lane somewhere inside). You pass the snowplow in the left lane, unable to see more than like six feet in front of your vehicle.
  • I assume any other cars, invisible in the left lane ahead of you, would appear on the dash before you can see them yourself?

I like the location for the new supercharger, but it is interesting to hear no updates to the building yet, maybe waiting for warmer spring weather to apply a facelift?

Also, doing donuts in the parking lot is perfect on a day like today, congrats!!!

Thanks for the info, it's getting close!

I presume you drove down from Edmonton, and then had to drive back? I was on the 2 this weekend and the snow was pretty crazy. I'm very curious to know Autopilot would have been helpful in the following scenarios I encountered. If you happened to use Autopilot at all, maybe you'd have an idea how well this would go ...

Scenario 1:
Left lane completely white, visually indistinguishable from the ditch. Right lane filled with snowsnakes but generally bare. Road lines typically not visible. Then some idiot passes on the left, creating an impenetrable whiteout. You can't see anything; Autopilot's cameras (of course) can't see anything. Presumably the radar can track the car that just passed.
  • Does Autopilot help you stay on the road at all when this happens?

Scenario 2:
Left lane completely white, visually indistinguishable from the ditch. Right lane somewhat snowy. Large cloud of snow up ahead totally obscures both lanes (turns out to have a snowplow in the right lane somewhere inside). You pass the snowplow in the left lane, unable to see more than like six feet in front of your vehicle.
  • I assume any other cars, invisible in the left lane ahead of you, would appear on the dash before you can see them yourself?

I have AP 1. I used the Autopilot both ways Edmonton to Calgary . I went to Banff as well , Blizzard like conditions on way to Banff. Used only TACC, the Autopilot icon never came up constantly on the dash on way to Banff. Met another Model X Black owner from Calgary at Camrose SC.

Scenario 2: En route to Banff I had a truck in the front barely visible, impenetrable whiteout, lot of flying snow from the Semi and the big white truck , I was telling my wife that the radar will pick up as i was on TACC..We panicked as it did not , we were close enough for comfort. In my defense I told her it was white and Autopilot did not pick up.

When changing lanes on Autopilot my car took an acute turn in the indicated direction twice..I thought Autopilot could not figure out the lane markings..had to grab the steering ASAP.

Scenario 1:
I had two idiots who cut in , the Autopilot slowed down, the visibility was not bad , both lanes were partially visible covered with snow.

When the left lane or any one lane is invisible , I found the steering constantly adjusting, trying to seek out the invisible lane. I go TACC.

I dont remember any car appearing on the dash before i could see.

Overall the drive was good , very stable , used Autopilot very vigilantly, always charged close to double the destination distance.

Hope I answered your queries....There was the snowplow both ways but on the opposite road (Phew)!!

For Autopilot my rule of thumb: If I don't see,, the auto pilot does not see as well.

• Informative
Reactions: int32_t
Yes..no activity noted as i passed by. I was eating Tims doughnuts though, not exciting as yours.
One of the few joys of driving a temporary ICE vehicle with traction control you can disable. My daughter thought it was a blast.

I read that they are putting in some Superchargers at this location - I still have a very hard time believing these will be. The public Superchargers that Calgary is getting. Strange location for travelers and doesn't connect the Edmonton - Banff route at all.

I agree, maybe Tesla will be working with the city to find a good location just off 16th Ave and Deerfoot (or Stoney Trail) for a SC

I know the trailer park at the top of the hill on 16th Ave only has another year or 2 before it's land lease expires

I agree, maybe Tesla will be working with the city to find a good location just off 16th Ave and Deerfoot (or Stoney Trail) for a SC I know the trailer park at the top of the hill on 16th Ave only has another year or 2 before it's land lease expires
I was told at Chinook center that the Supercharges will be located at the back of the service center at 6702 Fairmount Dr SE, Calgary apparently it saves dollars as its on Tesla property.

When in Calgary I have charged at Carls jr twice , once at Wyndham and twice at best western. I am happy a Supercharger is coming to Calgary.

I was told at Chinook center that the Supercharges will be located at the back of the service center at 6702 Fairmount Dr SE, Calgary apparently it saves dollars as its on Tesla property.

When in Calgary I have charged at Carls jr twice , once at Wyndham and twice at best western. I am happy a Supercharger is coming to Calgary.
Ugh. I hope not. Poor location for travelers. Still holding out hope that these are internal use Superchargers only.

Reactions: Zapped
One of the few joys of driving a temporary ICE vehicle with traction control you can disable. My daughter thought it was a blast.

I read that they are putting in some Superchargers at this location - I still have a very hard time believing these will be. The public Superchargers that Calgary is getting. Strange location for travelers and doesn't connect the Edmonton - Banff route at all.
Starting to stretch the donut topic here now, but you can do really good donuts if you use the slips-start button (or whatever its called). I think m1ker has some videos doing model X donuts and I occasionally use it to "drift" a little in the snow.