Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20180322-143410.jpg

Canadian pricing! This is the news I've been waiting for for a long, long time. About two years in fact …

Initially I thought a long-range, RWD Model 3 (with paint) would be a possibility and I thought it would balance range and price reasonably well. But at $58,800 it's a teeny bit (read: lots lots) more than I'm able to pay, though I suppose it would have been in line with expectations set based on the US price.

Hope somebody can sympathise with me. :oops: I can feel the electric dream slipping through my fingers. Looks like I'll be doing the basest of the base models with a coat of paint. :( Hope 350 km of range doesn't vaporise (much) in -30˚C because I was counting on the long range to make winter no big deal, especially going from Calgary to Edmonton and back. What will I do if the Red Deer supercharger is ever down?

I'm disappointed it's so expensive, but I can only blame the exchange rate for that. It's funny that $1 CAD is worth less than $0.80 USD because I still think of something that costs $1 as, you know, a dollar. It's not like I'm paid more when the exchange rate gets worse. So it kind of feels like the car legitimately costs more in Canada, even though it doesn't according to the value of our dollar set by stone-faced people somewhere. </rant about the sad exchange rate>

The bright side is when I take my coworkers for their long-awaited ride in my Tesla (yes, practically everybody knows I have a reservation by now since the news has had two years to percolate) and create Tesla grins, I'll be able to say, "And that is the slowest Tesla they make." :cool:

Reactions: Zapped and S'toon
I hear ya... frustrating to hear about the “$35,000 car” that is closer to $50k, but it’s that way for any vehicle compared to the US pricing. For me, I’d rather spend the coin on the range and not get the Autopilot or FSD. I’d do without the 19” wheels too, and bring it in at just under $60k. Half what my S cost 2 years ago, with 25% more range and pretty similar performance, and I might talk myself into the D as well and still feel like it’s a huge bargain. Everything’s relative, I guess. Going to be a tough call as to buying out my car when my lease is up, or spending about the same for a new 3 (or Y, hopefully). Got a couple years to decide, luckily.

Putting my own reservation aside for a moment … it's really exciting that we've got a Model 3 delivery in Edmonton (yay!) in four to eight weeks—looks like @SMSMD will be first! I can't wait to start seeing the cars on Albertan roads. (Sorry I was rather Eeyorish in my post above.)

Spent some time thinking about how much range I need to make this car a practical option. Honestly, 350 km (standard battery) probably isn't enough to make it from Calgary to the mountains, cross-country ski a bunch while the car sits unplugged in the cold, and then drive back. Long range would make the Calgary <-> Edmonton trip more feasible as well, again in colder weather. I'm thinking long-range is the only practical option for me as a result. (Your input is welcome, since you all have real-world experience with cold-weather EV driving.)

Considering the above, a RWD long-range Model 3 with a coat of paint comes to nearly $60k CAD before tax. I need to make a reasonable mathematical case that, over five or ten years, this won't be a lot more than a gas car would be. Part of this equation is maintenance … which everybody says is "less" for an EV, but I need numbers so I can compare this to a gas car. For your Model S or Model X, how much have you spent in maintenance per year over the last few years?

Putting my own reservation aside for a moment … it's really exciting that we've got a Model 3 delivery in Edmonton (yay!) in four to eight weeks—looks like @SMSMD will be first! I can't wait to start seeing the cars on Albertan roads. (Sorry I was rather Eeyorish in my post above.)

Spent some time thinking about how much range I need to make this car a practical option. Honestly, 350 km (standard battery) probably isn't enough to make it from Calgary to the mountains, cross-country ski a bunch while the car sits unplugged in the cold, and then drive back. Long range would make the Calgary <-> Edmonton trip more feasible as well, again in colder weather. I'm thinking long-range is the only practical option for me as a result. (Your input is welcome, since you all have real-world experience with cold-weather EV driving.)

Considering the above, a RWD long-range Model 3 with a coat of paint comes to nearly $60k CAD before tax. I need to make a reasonable mathematical case that, over five or ten years, this won't be a lot more than a gas car would be. Part of this equation is maintenance … which everybody says is "less" for an EV, but I need numbers so I can compare this to a gas car. For your Model S or Model X, how much have you spent in maintenance per year over the last few years?

Maintenance cost has just been the recommended annual service. Tesla has never charged me for anything else. Biggest expense is tires because the fun button on the floor keeps calling my name. lol :)

I don't know if I have the will power to wait for the dual motor. I keep looking at the Model 3 configurator and want to push the buy now button. Maybe use the money I save on RWD to pay for roof top solar?

$850 or so for the second annual service (40,000 km), didn’t bother with the first one and will probably skip the 60k service since the 40k inspection found no issues. So didvide the $850 by 27 months, that’s what my maintenance has cost (plus a new set of tires at 48,000 km).

Re: XC ski trips, there is a Supercharger in Canmore...

After 6 years my 2012 RWD Model S has had virtually no maintenance other than tires. (warranty work excluded). No issues with winter driving but I do have a heated garage. As for the Model 3, I'd get RWD and make sure to have winter tires. IMO, the M3 weight distribution makes RWD as good as FWD. (or better since you don't loose steering which happens with a FWD car when the wheels loose traction )
Having recently driven a US Model 3 for 1,300 miles, I'm seriously tempted to sell the aging Model S and get a CND RWD Model 3. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: SMSMD and Lon12
$850 or so for the second annual service (40,000 km), didn’t bother with the first one and will probably skip the 60k service since the 40k inspection found no issues. …

After 6 years my 2012 RWD Model S has had virtually no maintenance other than tires. (warranty work excluded). No issues with winter driving but I do have a heated garage. As for the Model 3, I'd get RWD and make sure to have winter tires. IMO, the M3 weight distribution makes RWD as good as FWD. (or better since you don't loose steering which happens with a FWD car when the wheels loose traction )
Having recently driven a US Model 3 for 1,300 miles, I'm seriously tempted to sell the aging Model S and get a CND RWD Model 3. ;)

Thanks for the quick replies! Is each annual/mileage service visit $850? For most cars, my understanding is that the warranty is void if you don't do this service (though something in the back of my mind makes me think not all Tesla's routine maintenance visits are like that). Where would I find a comprehensive list of mileages/timeframes and prices? DuckDuckGo turned up Tesla SSO – Login but it looks like I can't view the info if I don't have a Tesla on my account.

Yup, winter tires are a no-brainer for sure, and I'm glad to hear that RWD will be fine in snow! I suspected as much, given the weight distribution (and total weight) which is so unlike other cars. :)

Thanks for the quick replies! Is each annual/mileage service visit $850? For most cars, my understanding is that the warranty is void if you don't do this service...

No, the 20k service is something like $400, but they do some extra stuff at the 40k. 60k is like the 20, won’t be doing that, but I will do the 80k just before I hit 80. Warranty is not void even if you never do any of the scheduled services, at least on the S.

• Informative
Reactions: int32_t
Good to know, thanks @TLej and @SMSMD
@int32_t - same boat as you. I really want to be able to drive to Sunshine, park all day and drive back without having to charge. Need to see the cost of AWD and non-PUP features (Don't want to have to buy that just for the cold weather features). Plus, there's no way I will buy sight-unseen. I'll probably wait until the wife and kids can sit in the car in store first.

Off-topic alert—it's somewhat related because this is Alberta. Today, as I was zipping around on my bicycle taking care of a few errands, I saw a Chevy Bolt entering the parking lot I was leaving. Of course I turned around, and when the owner parked, we chatted for a bit. He showed me around the car and let me sit in the driver's seat, and was very enthusiastic about one-pedal driving!

Random facts: he's had it since February and has driven it in snowy -20˚C. Its range is about 250 km under those conditions, and ordinarily he says it should go 400 km. Judging by the charge port, it seems DCFC capable but I'm not sure how many kW it can take (Chevy says 145 km per 30 min of charge). Here in Canada, the Bolt goes for $43k to $47k. It's got a heated steering wheel and seats, which he says (like every cold-weather Tesla owner out there) are advantageous since you then don't need cabin heat as much. Would he take it on a road trip? … only if he wasn't in a hurry, and had planned charging stops well.

To sum up, he's totally sold on EVs in general and really likes this Bolt. His single complaint, if I recall correctly, is that snow can build up behind the front wheels. Apparently some owners have put cooking spray inside the wheel well to encourage the snow to fall out instead of continuing to pack in the well.

So there you have it—seems like a really solid EV option.

Honestly it looks better in person than in pictures. It's not a truly beautiful car like a Model S where practically anybody will comment on how nice it looks, but the Bolt isn't flat-out ugly like a modern Cadillac or those new Toyotas and Lexuses. Aside from three places where it's labelled "Bolt EV" (left and right above front tire, and rear hatch), it's subtle and doesn't scream "weird EV."

IMG_8686.jpg

IMG_8684.jpg

Thanks for the quick replies! Is each annual/mileage service visit $850? For most cars, my understanding is that the warranty is void if you don't do this service (though something in the back of my mind makes me think not all Tesla's routine maintenance visits are like that). Where would I find a comprehensive list of mileages/timeframes and prices? DuckDuckGo turned up Tesla SSO – Login but it looks like I can't view the info if I don't have a Tesla on my account.

Yup, winter tires are a no-brainer for sure, and I'm glad to hear that RWD will be fine in snow! I suspected as much, given the weight distribution (and total weight) which is so unlike other cars. :)

Someone posted this. It’s the only time I’ve seen it and recall where I did. I did, however, save it. The only anomaly is key fob battery replacement!

56E73763-E4C4-4A0F-9846-A0B664AF7EA9.jpeg

• Helpful