Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't be too worried this time of year.

I had the 2012 Model S done after 4 years and it was like getting a new paint job. ( with a few scratches underneath ) Certainly worth the cost to do a full wrap , IMHO. Car Pretty in Edmonton did a nice job on my daughter's Model 3. They extended the wrap around the edges. ( doors, hood , etc) I had my car done in the west end by someone else and they did not do that. Eventually with wax and dirt the transition from paint to protective film started to show in my case.

Thanks for this. I have been planning out where to get PPF in EDM. I haven't been able to narrow down a spot based on recommendations and reputation.

I want to get at least the full front and rockers panels done. Still debating the cost delta between that and just a full wrap of PPF.

I had the 2012 Model S done after 4 years and it was like getting a new paint job. ( with a few scratches underneath ) Certainly worth the cost to do a full wrap , IMHO. Car Pretty in Edmonton did a nice job on my daughter's Model 3. They extended the wrap around the edges. ( doors, hood , etc) I had my car done in the west end by someone else and they did not do that. Eventually with wax and dirt the transition from paint to protective film started to show in my case.

How much was the model 3 PPF? Wanted to find a place to do it in Edmonton but haven’t done enough research on it yet. Thanks

Thanks for the info! Did your daughter drive the model 3 back and then get it protected? How much did it all cost if you don't mind my asking?

Great event today Andrew, thanks for making that happen. The Doug’s Place guys were great, cool to see the battery pack out of the car as well. Thumbs up to all involved.

:) I was super happy with how it all turned out. It's been a while since we last met, but I don't recall seeing you at the event... If I missed saying hi, week that's what happens with over 100 people! If I did say hello but can't link username to face, my apologies (means we need more get togethers!)

Video of event:

This is also my concern. My other concern was getting all those rock chips etc on my way back to Edmonton before I can get any protection on the vehicle. Have any of you had this problem/experience??

Rock chips are a valid concern. A couple of YEG owners who choose to pick up in Calgary arranged for Xpel to get installed in Calgary before driving the car back.

My concern was there being damage to the vehicle and Tesla saying it was the delivery company's fault and the delivery company saying that it was Tesla's and me being caught in the middle with no recourse. Ultimately I drove to Calgary and picked mine up in person.

My personal belief is that I wouldn't hesitate to have it delivered to your home. Tesla will (with almost all certainty, but I'm not making guarantees!) address any issues you bring up in a reasonable time frame. Meaning if there is a dent on the bumper, and you notice/mention it within a couple of days (sooner of course is better), I think they'd address it (and take it up internally with the delivery company if they decide to). Of course, waiting two weeks to tell them you noticed a big dent... I would guess they'd then think you caused the damage.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Thanks for this. I have been planning out where to get PPF in EDM. I haven't been able to narrow down a spot based on recommendations and reputation.

I want to get at least the full front and rockers panels done. Still debating the cost delta between that and just a full wrap of PPF.
I very much regret not getting any Xpel on my car. I would suggest you also get the A-pillars (I have a couple of chips).

I very much regret not getting any Xpel on my car. I would suggest you also get the A-pillars (I have a couple of chips).
I only did my hood (24"), backs of the mirrors, A-pillars, eyebrow above the windshield, and the rocker panels in front of the rear wheels where the bodywork flares out. Unfortunately I waited a year before I did it so I have a few small chips in the hood, but since I did it I haven't had another chip (plenty of marks in the Xpel though). It was very reasonable, around $400 if I recall, and I'm quite happy with it.

I only did my hood (24"), backs of the mirrors, A-pillars, eyebrow above the windshield, and the rocker panels in front of the rear wheels where the bodywork flares out. Unfortunately I waited a year before I did it so I have a few small chips in the hood, but since I did it I haven't had another chip (plenty of marks in the Xpel though). It was very reasonable, around $400 if I recall, and I'm quite happy with it.
Where did you get yours done?

Sounds similar to what I had done:

Tesla Owners in Alberta

Hi everyone, do any of you recommend autopilot in Alberta? How good is it since we do have snow on the ground for a better part of the year. I'm debating if I should get EAP or not.

In case my opinion is helpful, I am not getting AP when the time comes for me to pull the trigger for the following reasons:
  1. Studies show that humans are terrible at monitoring systems that have high reliability rates (Josh Brown, emergency vehicle rear-endings, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14639220500535301)
  2. It costs $6600(!!) at time of purchase. That's almost 15% of the cost of the vehicle and I'd rather have the extra AWD or Premium Package hardware.
  3. It makes mistakes but Tesla is not liable if you ever don't catch the glitch in time. (
    )
  4. This technology will over time cause the dumbing-down of your driving skills, similar to how GPS has caused laziness in mental awareness/creative route planning/problem solving (I don't have scientific evidence on this, just my own personal observations).
  5. An AP vehicle is not courteous. It will not extend a gap to let someone in, it will not speed up if you're passing a vehicle and someone comes up on your tail quickly and you need to get out of the way, it will not see someone shoulder-checking to anticipate that they plan a lane-change... I could go on and on.
  6. Not recommended, useful or safe in a great percentage of my driving environments (non-divided freeways, residential roads, icy/dangerous conditions, construction, changing traffic patterns).
  7. I'm not stuck in gridlock on a daily basis, so having the AP isn't as big of a driver. I like to drive. It's not a chore for me. I may as well enjoy the driving experience since I'm getting rid of my manual transmission already. The one thing I wouldn't mind would be TACC, but I would only pay ~$500 for that feature if it was separate.
There are times when I'm driving that I wonder if AP would be nice in that instance. Every time I think that, I come back to "Maybe you shouldn't drive if you're so tired/exhausted" or "You just want AP so you can text/check something on your phone or be distracted by something else, which you shouldn't be doing when on AP anyway!"

All the safety features are there even if you don't buy AP, so you get the best of both worlds by opting out. And frankly, you can react to situations far better and quicker if you're already in manual mode than if you were half-checked out while on AP.

"Every driver is responsible for remaining alert and active when using Autopilot, and must be prepared to take action at any time." - Tesla

In case my opinion is helpful, I am not getting AP when the time comes for me to pull the trigger for the following reasons:

Lol. Pretty much my thinking exactly, down to my having given up a manual transmission to get my S. If you have it and love it, that’s awesome, but by no means do I consider it a must-have. Now, once it’s full level 5, I will be first in line. Of course, I might be 80 by then (40 years from now) :rolleyes::D.