Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@bpjod I drove Edmonton to Jasper in Sept this year, just me in the car and cool but not cold temps (right around zero). It was a long slow drive at 90 most of the way but I made it without stopping to the JPL; in doing so I used 90% of my battery. I could have stopped in Hinton (or Edson, don’t remember which but there are a few destination chargers at a hotel/restaurant in one of those towns) but at 40A it would have added a few more hours to my trip. I would say that drive would be...ambitious in winter with a full car, even in a 3LR that gets more than my S’s 400-ish km of actual range (on a good day, with a tail wind).

@bpjod I drove Edmonton to Jasper in Sept this year, just me in the car and cool but not cold temps (right around zero). It was a long slow drive at 90 most of the way but I made it without stopping to the JPL; in doing so I used 90% of my battery. I could have stopped in Hinton (or Edson, don’t remember which but there are a few destination chargers at a hotel/restaurant in one of those towns) but at 40A it would have added a few more hours to my trip. I would say that drive would be...ambitious in winter with a full car, even in a 3LR that gets more than my S’s 400-ish km of actual range (on a good day, with a tail wind).
That's what I'm figuring and one reason why we've kept the Highlander for now. My 3LR does get 500+ km on a full charge and at 240V/48A it puts on 70 km/hr charging (advantage over the Model S/X's) so a 90 minute supper stop in Edson (Ricky's All Day Grill and the associated hotel have 3 HPWCs) would add ~100 km range. It's 401 km from my house to the Sawridge Hotel in Jasper. Would 600 km rated range do it in winter? That's what I'll be trying to figure out this winter on our trips to Banff.

How many kids? Two is comfortable in the back seat. Three could fit, but I wouldn't do that to my kids for long-distance trips.

One of my biggest complaints is the lack of a ski pass-through in the rear seat. The rear seat is a 60/40 split so my kids have to sit together on the larger portion of the rear seat while the smaller portion is folded down to accommodate skis inside the vehicle.

One 29"r MTB fits inside the car with the rear seats folded down, no problem. I throw a packing blanket down to protect the interior of the car from mud and dings. For more than one bike, I use a SeaSucker roof rack, ours holds 3 bikes. Works great. I also use the SeaSucker Monkey bars for hauling around paddleboards, ladders, canoe, etc. Might give it a try with a roof box when we go skiing in Banff this winter.

He doesn't strike me as odd, that's just how his detractors and the press likes to portray him. He's driven, optimistic (to a fault), on a mission (well a number of missions) and doesn't suffer fools. Lots of opinions on whether they'll be around in 10+ years. I'm confident they will be. I wouldn't even be surprised if they're the largest company in the world by sales and market cap in 10+ years at the rate the other auto makers are avoiding making the change to BEV. I'm not saying they will be, but I'm surprised and appalled by how there's no one else committed to producing highly desirable BEVs in volume yet after Tesla proved what was possible 6 years ago. I'd estimate Tesla has at least a 5 year lead on the competition, and in 5 years when the others are (maybe) getting to where Tesla is today, where will Tesla be? One thing about Tesla, they don't rest on their laurels, they're constantly innovating and improving.

If you want to read over 60K messages on what others think of the future of Tesla, head over to the investment forums.

great info on the hauling racks, thanks very much.

I have 3 kids and most of our running around is in the canmore area. So they can suck up being a bit squished for a few KM.

Our other car is a *cough* *cough* a Dodge Caravan. it does what we need it to. Lots of cargo, video ent for kids, blah blah blah. Wish i still had my ecoboost F150, but that's another story.

As much as i don't want to get rid of the Fe, we have a better chance getting $$$ our of it! Resale on minivans is horrible.

So....no comments on the Hyundai Kona electric? :)

thanks for the feedback guys!

Bjorn has done some good video stuff with the Kona, he was pretty impressed with it. Google "Bjorn Kona" and you should find his video. I think one of the issues with the Kona is going to be availability, they just don't plan on making that many of them. Kia has something similar coming, Nero or something, which is getting equally-positive reviews. They are apparently quite efficient and nicely appointed inside, and roomy enough.

The issue with any non-Tesla vehicle right now, especially here, is the charging infrastructure. In my opinion that's Tesla's "killer app", and until the other manufacturers figure that out and support extensive quick-charging networks, Tesla has little to fear. If your use is all local and no highway, then plenty of other vehicles are starting to appear that can scratch that itch for a lot less than a Model 3. Good times in the EV world are just around the corner.

So....I just talked to the YYC Tesla office. It was a relatively quick chat, but the sales rep was very polite and informative. He is recommending that I go with the RWD long-range. Guess what? There happens to be 3 of these "in-stock" here in town. WHAT A COINCIDENCE??!!??

I have an appt on Wednesday to go have a peek, and maybe take something for a spin. Every drive in to town on petrol is burning a hole in my pocket.

spread the word, 2016 Santa Fe for sale!

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
So....I just talked to the YYC Tesla office. It was a relatively quick chat, but the sales rep was very polite and informative. He is recommending that I go with the RWD long-range. Guess what? There happens to be 3 of these "in-stock" here in town. WHAT A COINCIDENCE??!!??

I have an appt on Wednesday to go have a peek, and maybe take something for a spin. Every drive in to town on petrol is burning a hole in my pocket.

Highly recommend the long-range if you can swing it. Important to have that big battery if you're doing highway driving in Alberta's winters IMO.

We got a freezing rain last night which turned to snow as the temps dropped. The roads today are a film of ice covered in snow. At lunch today (-11C) I drove around town trying to make something bad happen with over-applying the throttle, but the traction control defeated my every attempt to spin out the rear end. Obviously leaving braking too late or turning the steering wheel too fast or other stupid moves that traction control can't save you from are still possible, but trying to spin the rear wheels was a futile effort. I feel pretty good about the RWD and cash saved right now. The only place where I see wishing I had AWD would be getting started on an icy incline where the traction of 4 wheels would be twice as much as the traction provided by two.

Highly recommend the long-range if you can swing it. Important to have that big battery if you're doing highway driving in Alberta's winters IMO.

Fully agree with the battery capacity, note that you will lose a bit as the car sits out in cold weather without being charged unlike an ICE so expect a some vampire drain + part of the battery locked out to protect itself. That said with Winters this is the best handing car I’ve owned and signing with Atco @ 3c/kWh makes it the cheapest to run :).

Reactions: YYCSTORMS
Fully agree with the battery capacity, note that you will lose a bit as the car sits out in cold weather without being charged unlike an ICE so expect a some vampire drain + part of the battery locked out to protect itself. That said with Winters this is the best handing car I’ve owned and signing with Atco @ 3c/kWh makes it the cheapest to run :).

I've been thinking of signing up for that Atco deal as well. Hope does the $3 natural gas compare? Is that a fair price?

spread the word, 2016 Santa Fe for sale!
Lol. If you drive one, you will buy one. There is no going back. Be prepared. :)

I've been thinking of signing up for that Atco deal as well. Hope does the $3 natural gas compare? Is that a fair price?

It’s about $1 higher than the average last year ($2.10/GJ) at the regulated rate, but we use much less NG than electricity. Given the lower admin fees as well, I’ve modelled @700kWh/month to produce about $250+ in savings per year even with the gas price increase, assuming “market” electricity will stay at 6c/kWh or 3c in savings and “market” gas stays at $2.1/GJ. That being said I do belivev both electricity generation and gas prices will go up over the next few years. The last round of renewable capacity was locked in at 3.7c/kWh (supposedly super low) so I can’t see it going much lower as we shut down coal. NG is also forecasted to go up into 2030, but it’s a gamble. One thing I love about going EV is I as a general consumer can sign a fixed price contract for fuel (unlike Premium Unleaded).

How I based my decision:
- Reserve Margin forecast (higher reserve = more extra capacity = lower price: https://www.aeso.ca/download/listedfiles/2018-11-LTA-Final.pdf
- NG forecast: Natural Gas Prices

Reactions: GlenM
Me again...

So, I am struggling a bit with numbers.

I could go buy a Toyota Corolla hatch and get 25% better fuel efficiency than what I am getting now. and a brand new corolla is $30k, fully loaded. I could also go buy a barely used Jetta TDI and still get better milage than i get now. Yes, they are VERY different cars than the Tesla 3. But I am after fuel savings, not necessarily driving experience. But when i drive 600km a week, i don't want a car that is hard to drive or that makes the drive THAT much harder.

Is it worth the extra $30k to go Tesla from an economic standpoint??

How long to pay off the $30k vs saving it up front?

Are these stupid questions?

Reactions: doubeld
So, I am struggling a bit with numbers.

I could go buy a Toyota Corolla hatch and get 25% better fuel efficiency than what I am getting now. and a brand new corolla is $30k, fully loaded. I could also go buy a barely used Jetta TDI and still get better milage than i get now. Yes, they are VERY different cars than the Tesla 3. But I am after fuel savings, not necessarily driving experience. But when i drive 600km a week, i don't want a car that is hard to drive or that makes the drive THAT much harder.

Is it worth the extra $30k to go Tesla from an economic standpoint??

How long to pay off the $30k vs saving it up front?

Are these stupid questions?

Not stupid questions. A Tesla is not a cheap car to buy. Low operating costs after the purchase, but still pricey to get into.

I've had a few Toyotas over the years. From 2012 until a year ago our two vehicles were VW Touareg TDI and VW Golf Sportwagen TDI. The VW TDIs were much nicer vehicles than the Toyotas (including our current 2018 Highlander Ltd), however they were dreadfully expensive to maintain. If you have Netflix, go watch the lying VW executives on Dirty Money and you'll understand why many former TDI owners will never forgive VW for their lies and deception. I'm trying to say, out of the two, go for the Toyota. A used one will be very affordable, and they're far less money to maintain. In fact, go for a used Prius, that would be your most affordable option when it comes to the cost of the vehicle, insurance, maintenance and fuel given the miles you put on commuting to work each year.

If you're at all serious about getting a VW or Toyota, don't go for the Tesla test drive. Just don't. You'll regret your ICE car purchase and won't be able to get the Model 3 out of your brain until you finally break down and buy it, ultimately costing you even more than if you'd gotten the Model 3 in the first place. Just stay away from that showroom.

Don't say I didn't warn you...

Question for all: to help combat cold issues while leaving TM3 parked outside for extended periods in cold temps, would it be effective to buy a small solar kit (dash mounted) and a cabin heater. It would theoretically run when the sun is shining, which in Calgary, is quite often.

Question for all: to help combat cold issues while leaving TM3 parked outside for extended periods in cold temps, would it be effective to buy a small solar kit (dash mounted) and a cabin heater. It would theoretically run when the sun is shining, which in Calgary, is quite often.
What issues are you worried about?
Just drive the thing! Pre heat it 10 minutes before you leave so it's toasty warm when you get in (with your phone). That's all there is to it. Maybe you'll have a few km of vampire drain during the day, but your commute is short enough it shouldn't be an issue. A small solar panel is totally not worth the effort involved.

If you're really worried about this, just order the car with the black exterior and black interior. The car is a greenhouse, so it will passively trap solar energy and warm the interior space, even in winter.

• Helpful
Reactions: doubeld