Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now that we have had the -30 and -40 temperatures here for a few days how come our Alberta thread isn't full of new model 3 owners complaining like they are in Ontario? ;)

My Model 3 has been amazing in the cold. I've actually let my wife put her ICE car in the garage and parked outside. I've been using a Tasker task to heat up my car every 30 min for 4 minutes every hour to prevent it getting cold soaked. In the morning I pre-heat for 20 min and it's good to go.

• Love
Reactions: GSP
My Model 3 has been amazing in the cold. I've actually let my wife put her ICE car in the garage and parked outside. I've been using a Tasker task to heat up my car every 30 min for 4 minutes every hour to prevent it getting cold soaked. In the morning I pre-heat for 20 min and it's good to go.
I've been looking at automating some of the Tesla features but don't know how to start. Can the automation functions be shared to other users?

I'm not sure if this was posted any where, but I found some information on a New EV Charging network that the Government of Alberta is helping to fund for Southern Alberta. They call it the Peaks to Prairies Southern Alberta EV Network

That looks good, but I think we all know this will be axed immediately if the UCP wins the upcoming election (and that seems likely). I hope this isn’t too political (please vote however you want), but Jason Kenney has made very deliberate anti-EV and anti-Tesla comments in the past.

That looks good, but I think we all know this will be axed immediately if the UCP wins the upcoming election (and that seems likely). I hope this isn’t too political (please vote however you want), but Jason Kenney has made very deliberate anti-EV and anti-Tesla comments in the past.
Why the disagree 1.21 JW? Do you even live in AB? Or that they don’t have DC Fast chargers in SK?

I'm not sure if this was posted any where, but I found some information on a New EV Charging network that the Government of Alberta is helping to fund for Southern Alberta. They call it the Peaks to Prairies Southern Alberta EV Network: Charging up in southern Alberta

Here's a YouTube video promoting it as well:
ATCO is having Peaks to Prairies Electric Vehicle Community Gathering event on Tuesday March 19th at the new ATCO Park building. 5-8pm.
Had to RSVP by yesterday.

Reactions: GlenM
I've got a question for you Model 3 owners.

For context, my parents got a 3 and they've had it for about three months now.* They keep asking me things about it (is this normal? Should that happen?) like I'm some kind of expert or something. I keep reminding them I don't have the car yet so unfortunately they probably know more than I do! :p

The latest question is a real stumper. While using the UMC, even if the car is locked, somebody can walk up to the car, press the button on the UMC (at which point the cable unlocks), and remove it from the car! Oddly, this doesn't work at Superchargers, and my understanding is the point of the charge cable lock is to prevent random strangers from walking off with your expensive UMC or pranking your charging. I took a short video of my dad locking the car and subsequently removing the charge cable, and he sent it to a guy at the service centre who acknowledged that it shouldn't do that but didn't seem perturbed and wanted to see the car for service (however, if it works for one car, likely it works for all of them, don't you think?). Note that my parents' smartphones are too old for the current Tesla app and are not registered as keys; they rely 100% on the keycard. So proximity is not a factor. This has happened across a range of temperatures, including in the garage, and across a wide range of SoC, so it's unlikely to be related to the "feature" that's supposed to prevent the charge port freezing locked. For whatever reason the service centre doesn't just try it on one of their own 3s, so if you have a moment, I'd like to know from some of you if this issue isn't unique to this particular car. And do you find this concerning at all? If I had a 3 and I heard this from somebody I didn't have a reason to mistrust, I think I'd be concerned …

* Amazing car, wish I had one, and guess what, the LR RWD is still available only with premium upgrades, and no I can't pay that much to get it now! :mad:

I've got a question for you Model 3 owners.

For context, my parents got a 3 and they've had it for about three months now.* They keep asking me things about it (is this normal? Should that happen?) like I'm some kind of expert or something. I keep reminding them I don't have the car yet so unfortunately they probably know more than I do! :p

The latest question is a real stumper. While using the UMC, even if the car is locked, somebody can walk up to the car, press the button on the UMC (at which point the cable unlocks), and remove it from the car! Oddly, this doesn't work at Superchargers, and my understanding is the point of the charge cable lock is to prevent random strangers from walking off with your expensive UMC or pranking your charging. I took a short video of my dad locking the car and subsequently removing the charge cable, and he sent it to a guy at the service centre who acknowledged that it shouldn't do that but didn't seem perturbed and wanted to see the car for service (however, if it works for one car, likely it works for all of them, don't you think?). Note that my parents' smartphones are too old for the current Tesla app and are not registered as keys; they rely 100% on the keycard. So proximity is not a factor. This has happened across a range of temperatures, including in the garage, and across a wide range of SoC, so it's unlikely to be related to the "feature" that's supposed to prevent the charge port freezing locked. For whatever reason the service centre doesn't just try it on one of their own 3s, so if you have a moment, I'd like to know from some of you if this issue isn't unique to this particular car. And do you find this concerning at all? If I had a 3 and I heard this from somebody I didn't have a reason to mistrust, I think I'd be concerned …

* Amazing car, wish I had one, and guess what, the LR RWD is still available only with premium upgrades, and no I can't pay that much to get it now! :mad:
I just tried mine. Car is locked and not charging in garage at +7C. UMC cable is not locked. Started charging with flashing green light and cable lock pin is engaged but I can press the UMC button to turn T to white and can remove cable.

I just tried mine. Car is locked and not charging in garage at +7C. UMC cable is not locked. Started charging with flashing green light and cable lock pin is engaged but I can press the UMC button to turn T to white and can remove cable.

Odd. I would have thought the pin would not be engaged as “left over” code from the cold weather firmware changes (maybe it disengages after charging is complete to prevent frezing, but needs to stay unlockablecwhile charging for some reason to enable this?). Unfortunately I don’t see many places where you can use the UMC where we travel, when we do we trust in the good nature of kind-hearted Alberta’s to not mess with our car (have yet to turn on sentry mode :)).

Thank you! That's what we're looking for. I can't imagine that behaviour was intentionally designed …

Unfortunately I don’t see many places where you can use the UMC where we travel, when we do we trust in the good nature of kind-hearted Albertans to not mess with our car (have yet to turn on sentry mode :)).
… because I don't, and given the problem in California that led to Sentry Mode in the first place, I doubt many Tesla owners would trust their fellow man with their UMCs either.

Oh, just thought of something. To double-check, was your phone out of range at the time? Who knows if that would change the behaviour of the charge port lock.