Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes you have to pay a fee to be connected to the grid 0.85/day and yes the offset pays for this. The 2 powerwalls cost approx $20000 but we upgraded our main panel to 200 amps so thats also included. Sorry for the the long wait for a reply was busy with other things

If you don't mind me asking, Who did you get your Powerwalls through? I was quoted $18,000 for the first and $15,000 for the second to add them to my existing Solar installation.

$320 per month is significant savings, but what's your payback period?

I was quoted over $35K to install the solar panels. Add $20K for 2x powerwalls and we're at over $55K. Our average monthly electricity bill is less than $300 per month so quick math suggests that our payback period would be 15+ years assuming electricity costs stay roughly the same.
I decided that in the absence of meaningful incentives and/or feed-in tariffs, it made more sense for me to pay for renewable offsets with my current electricity provider. It costs me $15/month extra for essentially 100% offset of my electricity useage (Add Green for your home). My electricity bills are usually around $100/month, so I just couldn't get the PV equation to work out for my use case.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I decided that in the absence of meaningful incentives and/or feed-in tariffs, it made more sense for me to pay for renewable offsets with my current electricity provider. It costs me $15/month extra for essentially 100% offset of my electricity useage (Add Green for your home). My electricity bills are usually around $100/month, so I just couldn't get the PV equation to work out for my use case.
Yeah with that low of an electricity bill it becomes more of reducing your carbon footprint rather than a cost savings. So far with our system we have been off the grid for just over 165 days now.

Very cool - didn't realize FLO was planning an install at Deerfoot Meadows in Calgary, this will become my go-to pay station.

Understandably, they will have some issues competing with IKEA literally across the street where it is free but the Level 3 charger makes me want to consider the CHAdeMO adapter. Not to mention, the IKEA ones are blocked off and one of them was broken before COVID.

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Question for any Model 3/Y owners in Edmonton area, have you taken a trip to Jasper from Edmonton? Where you able to get to Jasper with out stopping to charge, or would it be a good idea to plan for a stop at the destination chargers in Edson?

Spring, summer and autumn: not a problem. Winter: plan on a meal and charge at Ricky’s in Edson.

I haven’t yet done the drive in winter and it might be possible without a charge, but I’d plan on charging and be pleased if it wasn’t necessary.

I drive a 3 LR RWD for reference.

• Informative
Spring, summer and autumn: not a problem. Winter: plan on a meal and charge at Ricky’s in Edson.

I haven’t yet done the drive in winter and it might be possible without a charge, but I’d plan on charging and be pleased if it wasn’t necessary.

I drive a 3 LR RWD for reference.

thanks for the info, both my Wife and I love going to Jasper so I can see us doing that drive a lot next year. I will plan a stop at Edson until we have a better feel for what the car can do, or until there are super chargers along hwy 16.

• Informative
Hello all,

This will be my first winter with the Tesla Model 3 LR AWD. How much efficiency loss there is during extreme cold? Specifically, how much energy does the car use if it's parked outside in the -30 degree weather?

We have a heated garage but at work, the car would be parked outside. Just curious to see how much battery usage there will be during winter time.

Hello all,

This will be my first winter with the Tesla Model 3 LR AWD. How much efficiency loss there is during extreme cold? Specifically, how much energy does the car use if it's parked outside in the -30 degree weather?

We have a heated garage but at work, the car would be parked outside. Just curious to see how much battery usage there will be during winter time.
The biggest deal, I found, was stop-and-go city traffic. Heat is provided by the minute, no matter how fast or slow you go. In a city with basically no expressways and a plethora of traffic lights, even on main roads, I had a 12km commute that averaged about 25 minutes. At that rate, I used 3 to 4 km for each km traveled. On highways, doing 100kph, it was more like 1.5 to 1; and of course, once the car is heated, so it';s a longer highway trip, the cabin heat is less. On a long road trip (120km each way) doing about 105kph at -5C, cabin at 18C and one seat heat on, I found it worked out to 1.4k used for each 1k traveled. Plus I can tell by the melted snow around the front camera on the windshield - I bet sentry mode is not a good idea at really cold temperatures.

OTOH, my BMW at -30 also will warn that the battery was low and some electronic functions had been turned off.

The difference was, I have a NEMA 14-50 plug in the (insulated, unheated) garage for my charger, so I started every day with a "full tank" (80%). Plus, with mostly city driving, my indicated (calculated) range quickly dropped from 400km for a 80% charge to about 360 to 270 depending on how much highway I've done recently. If you have a longer commute, you may want to set the nightly charge to 90%.

• Helpful
The biggest deal, I found, was stop-and-go city traffic. Heat is provided by the minute, no matter how fast or slow you go. In a city with basically no expressways and a plethora of traffic lights, even on main roads, I had a 12km commute that averaged about 25 minutes. At that rate, I used 3 to 4 km for each km traveled. On highways, doing 100kph, it was more like 1.5 to 1; and of course, once the car is heated, so it';s a longer highway trip, the cabin heat is less. On a long road trip (120km each way) doing about 105kph at -5C, cabin at 18C and one seat heat on, I found it worked out to 1.4k used for each 1k traveled. Plus I can tell by the melted snow around the front camera on the windshield - I bet sentry mode is not a good idea at really cold temperatures.

OTOH, my BMW at -30 also will warn that the battery was low and some electronic functions had been turned off.

The difference was, I have a NEMA 14-50 plug in the (insulated, unheated) garage for my charger, so I started every day with a "full tank" (80%). Plus, with mostly city driving, my indicated (calculated) range quickly dropped from 400km for a 80% charge to about 360 to 270 depending on how much highway I've done recently. If you have a longer commute, you may want to set the nightly charge to 90%.

This is a supremely helpful post; thank you for sharing.

I'll update this thread with my own experience when the temperature starts to get really cold.

Hello all,

If you are parking your car in a heated garage every night and only leaving it outside during the day then your battery will not have enough time to get cold soaked. I don't think you will notice much in the way of energy loss due to battery heating during the day.
I purchased the Scan My Tesla App last year so I could keep track of how the car manages its battery temperature. Tesla kind of keeps us in the dark about that. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in the numbers.

• Helpful
Hello all,

My experiences have been pretty similar to this when I lived in Edmonton. The only trouble I ever had with mine was during a -40C trip to the Airport one morning. Range was decreasing at maybe 2:1 against rated and the cabin heater could not keep up, so the interior was a bit chilly. Cruising speed was 120 mph+ on Highway 2 for reference.

The other thing you’ll want to be careful about is cabin pre-heating during very cold days. As the current Model 3 does not utilize the Heat Pump of the Y, I was losing 5-10 km of range when pre-heating from -40C to 20C. Waking the car up frequently during the day will also eat a good bit of range.

I was also fortunate to have a heated garage and a 14-50 at home, but I always made sure to add some additional range buffer on cold days to account for up to 50% differences in Rated vs. Actual.

The good news is that the LR AWD should have no issues getting you anywhere unless you have a 100KM+ commute each way.

• Helpful
My experiences have been pretty similar to this when I lived in Edmonton. The only trouble I ever had with mine was during a -40C trip to the Airport one morning. Range was decreasing at maybe 2:1 against rated and the cabin heater could not keep up, so the interior was a bit chilly. Cruising speed was 120 mph+ on Highway 2 for reference.

The other thing you’ll want to be careful about is cabin pre-heating during very cold days. As the current Model 3 does not utilize the Heat Pump of the Y, I was losing 5-10 km of range when pre-heating from -40C to 20C. Waking the car up frequently during the day will also eat a good bit of range.

I was also fortunate to have a heated garage and a 14-50 at home, but I always made sure to add some additional range buffer on cold days to account for up to 50% differences in Rated vs. Actual.

The good news is that the LR AWD should have no issues getting you anywhere unless you have a 100KM+ commute each way.

My work actually has a Level 2 charger, about a block away. I'm considering plugging it in during extremely cold weather but I wonder if it would degrade the battery quicker.

When I purchased my fist model S (2015) they told me a happy Tesla is one that is always plugged in. Back then the car wouldn’t use shore power for heating the cabin. Now my model 3 will use that power instead of the battery. So if you can plug it in when you are at work I would recommend it. I also wouldn’t worry about battery degradation. Just enjoy the car. Tesla has done a great job with that. Can’t say the same about Nissan. :)

• Helpful
When I purchased my fist model S (2015) they told me a happy Tesla is one that is always plugged in. Back then the car wouldn’t use shore power for heating the cabin. Now my model 3 will use that power instead of the battery. So if you can plug it in when you are at work I would recommend it. I also wouldn’t worry about battery degradation. Just enjoy the car. Tesla has done a great job with that. Can’t say the same about Nissan. :)

A plugged-in Tesla is indeed a happy Tesla. I'll leave the sentry mode on and will report back on how the efficiency has been.

I'm excited about winter. LOL.