Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, good to know!

When you describe the rear wheel area, are you suggesting a patch or strip be placed on the leading and trailing fender flare surfaces? A bit like putting a piece on the leading face of a dualie truck flare? Edges would be visible, but that's the tradeoff short of doing the whole rear quarter panel?

Yeah, the luggage lift-over area is a good call. I've been very careful with that area on my cars, but others in the family... well, not so much... :redface:

So then I guess it comes down to whether the doors are worth doing or not. By the time you do them, you've pretty much done the full wrap! But I have to say that door scratches and vertical rubs really annoy me - perhaps more than chips on the front. Question then becomes whether the Xpel protects adequately against that sort of damage, or if it's going to occur anyway and go right through. A hard enough hit is going to dent, whether the paint is damaged or not - with or without Xpel.

Well I can speak to both types of damage. On my previous Tesla I had a couple of occurences on the sides but the body remained perfect. When I traded it in, Tesla wouldn't give me any value for the wrap but they treated the body condition as perfect. On the other hand with my wrapped P85D I had an incident where I opened my door and a violent wind caught it and whipped it open nailing the side mirror on another car. This has unfortunately put a dent in the aluminum but it was a pretty vicious knock focused in a small contact point. On the plus side I can probably take my time fixing it as the damage is protected. The wrap shows some inner damage but is unbroken. Ultimately nothing would have protected from this ding but the wrap does seem to catch more trivial parking lot knocks and any kind of scratching.

Well I can speak to both types of damage. On my previous Tesla I had a couple of occurences on the sides but the body remained perfect. When I traded it in, Tesla wouldn't give me any value for the wrap but they treated the body condition as perfect. On the other hand with my wrapped P85D I had an incident where I opened my door and a violent wind caught it and whipped it open nailing the side mirror on another car. This has unfortunately put a dent in the aluminum but it was a pretty vicious knock focused in a small contact point. On the plus side I can probably take my time fixing it as the damage is protected. The wrap shows some inner damage but is unbroken. Ultimately nothing would have protected from this ding but the wrap does seem to catch more trivial parking lot knocks and any kind of scratching.
So it sounds like there could be some value in getting the doors done as well... unless I want to park exclusively in the back 40 of Costco! I've got a couple on my Benz that would have taken some doing to create - some people are just ignorant. If you do the damage yourself, you can accept the responsibility and move on, but if someone else does it anonymously, you taste the bile every time you see it... :crying:

I will have to ponder just how far I want to take this. Luckily, Hewey will take delivery here in town before I do and I can have a look at how the Xpel looks on his car before I make the decision! :cool:

Funny, I've never used any sort of wrap on a vehicle before.... I just can't shake the vision of plastic covers on a grandparent's furniture... :rolleyes:

And no sooner do I post this than I come across this post: Protect The Finish On New Model S - Page 2 with plastic covered furniture... LOL

Last edited:
Beeeerock, I feel the same way about wrapping a car.. i really sounds silly when you think about it. However, Here in Calgary it totally makes sense, Calgary a notorious for spreading small stones on the road to increase traction. As a result, pitted front end on most car (the ones driven in the winter without protection) are quite common and look like terrible. I have a Touareg TDI 2011 with a full wrap front end and it still looks like new. It give me peace of mind, if applied well, it is barely noticeable. Unfortunately, Calgary is not an option for you, yet if you were to consider Xpel, Refine Auto Spa is the place to visit. My car looks amazing.

Beeeerock, I feel the same way about wrapping a car.. i really sounds silly when you think about it. However, Here in Calgary it totally makes sense, Calgary a notorious for spreading small stones on the road to increase traction. As a result, pitted front end on most car (the ones driven in the winter without protection) are quite common and look like terrible. I have a Touareg TDI 2011 with a full wrap front end and it still looks like new. It give me peace of mind, if applied well, it is barely noticeable. Unfortunately, Calgary is not an option for you, yet if you were to consider Xpel, Refine Auto Spa is the place to visit. My car looks amazing.
I'm coming around to the idea. We have the same graveled roads in the winter as you do - sand blows off, so it seems they spread something more like 3/4" minus crush than sand! A windshield only seems to last a couple of years, and whether it's the crack that triggers replacement or the sandblast-pitting that makes driving toward the sun dangerous really depends on your level of tolerance.

I think I'll do at least the front clip. Possibly rocker panels. Possibly rear fender flares. Likely lift-over at rear hatch. Not sure about doors just yet, but at some point if you're all in, you're all in... with the price of the car, I'm already all in, so I imagine I'll eventually talk myself into a full wrap. :redface:

There is a company here specializing in Xpel. New shop (relocated to new building), should be quite dust-free. Likely two MS ahead of me to practice on. I can see the results before committing. I'm actually starting to think a delivery to Kamloops rather than a Vancouver pick up might be smarter. Unload it right at the Xpel shop and peel off the protective covering inside. No issues with picking up any damage on the way back over the Coquihalla. I'll have to talk to them about that and see if it impacts my delivery timing at all.

Just need to sell my Mercedes now. The trade-in offer was a bit of a joke - I'll go with it only as a LAST resort. Need to find a better way to advertise it though - my wife calls it my 'old man comfort car', so logically it needs to be advertised where old people gather. I'm thinking a sign in the window and leave it in the Costco parking lot over the weekend might be the right plan... :biggrin::cool:

I'm coming around to the idea. We have the same graveled roads in the winter as you do - sand blows off, so it seems they spread something more like 3/4" minus crush than sand! A windshield only seems to last a couple of years, and whether it's the crack that triggers replacement or the sandblast-pitting that makes driving toward the sun dangerous really depends on your level of tolerance.

I think I'll do at least the front clip. Possibly rocker panels. Possibly rear fender flares. Likely lift-over at rear hatch. Not sure about doors just yet, but at some point if you're all in, you're all in... with the price of the car, I'm already all in, so I imagine I'll eventually talk myself into a full wrap. :redface:

There is a company here specializing in Xpel. New shop (relocated to new building), should be quite dust-free. Likely two MS ahead of me to practice on. I can see the results before committing. I'm actually starting to think a delivery to Kamloops rather than a Vancouver pick up might be smarter. Unload it right at the Xpel shop and peel off the protective covering inside. No issues with picking up any damage on the way back over the Coquihalla. I'll have to talk to them about that and see if it impacts my delivery timing at all.

Just need to sell my Mercedes now. The trade-in offer was a bit of a joke - I'll go with it only as a LAST resort. Need to find a better way to advertise it though - my wife calls it my 'old man comfort car', so logically it needs to be advertised where old people gather. I'm thinking a sign in the window and leave it in the Costco parking lot over the weekend might be the right plan... :biggrin::cool:

Quick note, the rocker panels on the model S cannot be be wrapped.. the material isn't smooth and the xpel won't stick.

:) Just busy at work this week... all i've had time to do is a quick review of the footage, and I think it will lend itself well to a compiled video, maybe this weekend. In the meantime:

(since you brought it up)... here is a footbag video I filmed (note: it has my old ICE... I wish I had the Tesla in time, would have been a larger part of the video).
I'm off topic but that is amazing coordination and talent....
Can't make this week-end but I look forward to more of your EV videos

Another Meetup! this time in Red Deer (superchargers then R&R Grill)

2015-04-22 20_30_38-Electric Vehicle Assn. of Alberta (EVAA).jpg

Another Meetup! this time in Red Deer (superchargers then R&R Grill)

View attachment 79009
I'm out this Sunday - going to Toronto for the week (going to miss some amazing weather I see!

Enjoy and I will be there in spirit.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else in Calgary have a service tech coming? Mine is being serviced this morning at 9am.
- Loss of 3G
- whistle wind noise from back of car (sunroof or back windows?) after 60km/h
- poor fit of chrome strips on doors and larger panel gaps than I've seen on others
- loose wheel-well panels
- sticky sunroof (sometimes won't open without a "push" from below)
- would like software update so my insane mode can be "more insane" :)

I'm out this Sunday - going to Toronto for the week (going to miss some amazing weather I see!

Enjoy and I will be there in spirit.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else in Calgary have a service tech coming? Mine is being serviced this morning at 9am.
- Loss of 3G
- poor fit of chrome strips on doors and larger panel gaps than I've seen on others

Sadly I will also be out of town in BC until later on Sunday. I'll let Muchski know in due course.
Interesting that you have a ranger out today. I'm awaiting a couple of things too, and they didn't mention that there was a ranger in town. I'm seeing occasional leaks in the pano roof when spray washing my car. Haven't been able to reliably reproduce it. I also have condensation in my rear lights so I guess I'm probably not too high on the priority list.

Sadly I will also be out of town in BC until later on Sunday. I'll let Muchski know in due course.
Interesting that you have a ranger out today. I'm awaiting a couple of things too, and they didn't mention that there was a ranger in town. I'm seeing occasional leaks in the pano roof when spray washing my car. Haven't been able to reliably reproduce it. I also have condensation in my rear lights so I guess I'm probably not too high on the priority list.
I think in2oil will come key my car if I get the latest software update from the ranger LOL!

Edit: Oh no! He's on his way over... Good thing a Tesla key can't really scratch a car too bad

Last edited:
- Loss of 3G

I have a tentative appointment in Edmonton sometime in May (was supposed to be before end of April but got bumped apparently). Thankfully no 3G issues. Wind whistle noise (and air) from the little triangle window drivers side. I also have a sticky sunroof. I've never tried pushing from below, rather I click to open a second time from the screen which gets it open for me. Plus, mirrors don't always unfold when button pressed, and both rear doors having issues (one makes sound in handle, but works, other is stuck shut).

I have a tentative appointment in Edmonton sometime in May (was supposed to be before end of April but got bumped apparently). Thankfully no 3G issues. Wind whistle noise (and air) from the little triangle window drivers side. I also have a sticky sunroof. I've never tried pushing from below, rather I click to open a second time from the screen which gets it open for me. Plus, mirrors don't always unfold when button pressed, and both rear doors having issues (one makes sound in handle, but works, other is stuck shut).
Interesting... my Sunroof was okay with a second "touch" of the screen controller for a while but has since gotten worse. They diagnosed it today and said they would come out with two other sunroof panels and try them out. Mine looked too thin to him. Not sure if they have different thicknesses of sunroofs?

Odd thing happened, though, when the software was updated (.160) my charge-port malfunctioned and now only charges at 16A. They are over-nighting the part and installing tomorrow. I guess the lock mechanism decided to break-down at the same time as the software update. As a safety function it downgrades the charge rate to 16A max.

Tesla service was great as usual. He did mention there are 100 +/- "software beta testers" in North America that are regular customers who can beta test software in advance. I'd like to be on that list... :)

Just got my Tesla yesterday evening! Had a chance to take it out for a small drive around town for the first time. Those of you who don't know, I have never driven one of these beasts before and purchased solely on faith (and numerous reviews as well as personal reviews from the TMC forum!). All I can say is this machine has raised my standard on what a car is. I've never merged with such ease and felt such instant responsiveness from a car before. Did a few launches on the ring road from dead-stop, since there were no cars around, and quickly got the "speed limit reminder" chime in what seemed like 3.2 seconds of falling forward into the future. The kiddo said "again!" and so we did it again. Then he said "again!" at which point the wife promptly said she had had enough and that she felt like the blood in her head needed to return. How does one go back to driving a "regular" ICE after such an experience?

Getting back on topic, I would have tried to make the meet this weekend in Red Deer but unfortunately have a full-day of prior plans. Would have loved to meet other EV owners and hang out. That's cool they have ranger service still coming out to Calgary for your guys' Teslas. I do hope they will build a permanent service centre here since there are so many more Tesla's around. The delivery driver told me he delivered three Teslas this past week alone (mine included) - two to Calgary and one to Edmonton. He said he has had a steady stream averaging 2-3 per week.

Just got my Tesla yesterday evening! Had a chance to take it out for a small drive around town for the first time. Those of you who don't know, I have never driven one of these beasts before and purchased solely on faith (and numerous reviews as well as personal reviews from the TMC forum!). All I can say is this machine has raised my standard on what a car is. I've never merged with such ease and felt such instant responsiveness from a car before. Did a few launches on the ring road from dead-stop, since there were no cars around, and quickly got the "speed limit reminder" chime in what seemed like 3.2 seconds of falling forward into the future. The kiddo said "again!" and so we did it again. Then he said "again!" at which point the wife promptly said she had had enough and that she felt like the blood in her head needed to return. How does one go back to driving a "regular" ICE after such an experience?

Getting back on topic, I would have tried to make the meet this weekend in Red Deer but unfortunately have a full-day of prior plans. Would have loved to meet other EV owners and hang out. That's cool they have ranger service still coming out to Calgary for your guys' Teslas. I do hope they will build a permanent service centre here since there are so many more Tesla's around. The delivery driver told me he delivered three Teslas this past week alone (mine included) - two to Calgary and one to Edmonton. He said he has had a steady stream averaging 2-3 per week.

Congratulation on your NEW Tesla.. Send us some pics of your new P85D.. Share your experience! I speak for myself, I will limit my meets (EV) to TESLA only. otherwise there are way too many people asking all kinds of questions and wanting TEST drive which I don't. Yet That's me!

I have my 21ich off the car and getting ready to paint... They will be grey next time you see them! Can't wait!

Congratulation on your NEW Tesla.. Send us some pics of your new P85D.. Share your experience! I speak for myself, I will limit my meets (EV) to TESLA only. otherwise there are way too many people asking all kinds of questions and wanting TEST drive which I don't. Yet That's me!

I have my 21ich off the car and getting ready to paint... They will be grey next time you see them! Can't wait!

I am totally in agreement with you there about the test drives. I just can't trust a car like this to some stranger or even a friend! Lol. Will try to take some photos after it's been at the wrap shop and tinted as well. Car is dirty because apparently it rained in Vancouver while it was waiting to be delivered, so a layer of dust is all over it. What grey are you going with for the wheels... Graphite or lighter? Sure it'll be awesome either way.

I am totally in agreement with you there about the test drives. I just can't trust a car like this to some stranger or even a friend! Lol. Will try to take some photos after it's been at the wrap shop and tinted as well. Car is dirty because apparently it rained in Vancouver while it was waiting to be delivered, so a layer of dust is all over it. What grey are you going with for the wheels... Graphite or lighter? Sure it'll be awesome either way.

I will get them painted eom dark grey. Bought the wheels second hand, so they will need some repairs, yet once I a done with them , they will be like new. I will have my windows tinted as well. Can't wait to see your car.

Last edited: